PDA

View Full Version : NAXA Television

Riwright
01-20-2012, 07:14 PM
I recently bought the NAXA 22" television through Amazon. The unit has a built in DVD player. You insert the DVD into the side of the unit.

The unit runs on either 110 volts or 12 volts. Power cords for both are included. Power usage is good. When watching a DVD it ran at 0.65 amps. When watching normal broadcast TV it consumed 0.57 amps. (Figures are for 12 volts)

Picture quality is excellent. It looks very nice. Size is about right for the space.

Sound quality is what you usually get with built-in TV speakers -- just OK. Dialog was easy to understand with modest volume levels. Sound was not harsh or unpleasant in any way.

We have a 3124KS and we were able to put the TV on the ledge formed by the flaps. We plan to get a velcro strap for the top, if a large gust of wind rocks the trailer it could knock it over. You could wall mount it easily.

You can hook up an outside HDMI source if you wish (cable not included). I watched a movie rented on an ipad and it worked well.

The remote is not so great (like most remotes) but you can figure it out.

There is a headphone jack for night listening that I haven't tried yet.

It packs well. I kept the box and put it back that for traveling.

Overall I am very happy with this TV/DVD unit.

B_and_D
01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
We've been looking for a new TV...we still have our 9" analog TV and also a small LCD TV that I bought about a year ago. The speakers in the LCD TV are awful, and the analog TV has to be "impact adjusted" repeatedly to get it to go on (but it has awesome speakers, I know where it's disconnected, it's on one of the boards inside), so we're looking for either some 12V speakers to go along with the LCD TV or a totally different unit. I've thought about buying a car stereo and mounting it over the frig, but our TM is older so it's not pre-wired, and I don't want to go ripping out the corner molding, etc. to run the wires for the speakers that I would probably put into the upper cabinets. I've also thought about putting speakers in the area beneath the dinette seats, that would be pretty easy, but we keep a lot of stuff down there and it would probably take up too much room. Maybe they would fit somewhere around the sink area.

I was looking at the roadtrucker.com site with their TV's yesterday morning, they had the NAXA units and also the Skyworth, they rated the Skyworth a bit better. What we really want is good speakers, don't want to have to turn them up too much to listen to music or the TV.

How would you rate your NAXA speakers on a scale from 1 to 10?

Dave99gst
01-21-2012, 05:39 AM
how much was it ?

Brittany Dogs
01-21-2012, 07:51 AM
I have a NAXA 13" DVD digital tuner TV from a few years ago purchased from that road trucker web site. I have been happy with the unit and rather impressed with the reasonable power consumption on 12volts. It is not a tiny draw but it is hardly a hog either when on battery.

Poor sound seems to be the rule rather than the exception on these LCD TVs and my NAXA has what I consider 4 stars out of 10 for sound. However I came up with a real neat way of patching it into the above the fridge car radio I installed and well, it has great sound then for the obvious reasons.

IMO, even the majority of large screen flat screens TVs costing even $1000 have poor, tinny sound. That whole industry just assumes you'll hook up a nice $3000 Bose surround system to your $1000 flat screen TV. :D

ShrimpBurrito
01-21-2012, 09:35 AM
The unit runs on either 110 volts or 12 volts. Power cords for both are included. Power usage is good. When watching a DVD it ran at 0.65 amps. When watching normal broadcast TV it consumed 0.57 amps. (Figures are for 12 volts)

How did you measure that current draw? For a 22" TV AND a DVD player, that seems way too little power. 0.65A/12VDC is only about 8 watts -- the speakers probably draw about that much. Even the LED light boards I installed draw about 0.3A each. Are you sure that's not AC current measured through a Kill-a-watt?

Do you have the NTD-2252? It's manual is posted here:
http://www.naxa.com/lcd-and-led-televisions/led-televisions-with-dvd-players/22-widescreen-full-1080p-hd-led-television-with-built-in-digital-tv-tuner-usb-sd-inputs-dvd-player.html#4

...and in the manual, it lists the "power requirement" for the 12VDC input to be 4A. That seems more like what I would expect.

Dave

hoverlover
01-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I purchased a Naxa 22 " model NX-587 in October and have used it while camping over 5 days both cable and DVD and found the sound just fine. It's mounted above the sink on the right bath wall and I watch it from the forward bed lying against the forward bulkhead.The 12 volt rating is 5 amps. Of course I'm listening with 64 year old ears.::)

househunterlives
01-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Just found this TV on Amazon.com. Looks like a good deal. It's hard to find dual power tv's with a dvd player. This would be cool if it was connected to the radio in the the TM. On those raining nights it would be hard to hear the tv without the radio to amp the sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Widescreen-1080p-HD-led-Television-Digital/dp/B004YOGR1E/ref=pd_vtp_e_1

Riwright
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
You're right, the power consumption readings sound low.*
I have a "Watts Up" meter.*
http://www.powerwerx.com/digital-meters/watts-up-meter-dc-inline.html
It's a DC inline meter. I've used for other applications and it seems fairly accurate.*
I hooked it up again for this trip. I put the TV on at normal volume wtih no DVD playing.

Readings are:
.57amps *14.6 volts about 8 watts

I have not run the TV on AC power.*

The speakers are typical for a TV. Dialog is clear and understandable. No bass to speak of, not much high end. 4 out of ten is a good rating.

I paid 246.97 from Amazon
NAXA 22" WideNTD-2252*
Vendor was AceElectronix and they shipped quickly.

Barb&Tim
01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Just trivia.

I took a look at roadtrucker.com since they list the power requirements.

The specifications for a "22" NAXA 12 Volt LED TV/DVD with ATSC Digital Tuner" say that it has a 35Watt power requirement.

Tim

ShrimpBurrito
01-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I put the TV on at normal volume wtih no DVD playing.

Readings are:
.57amps *14.6 volts about 8 watts

Wow, that is incredibly low for a 22" TV. If that's an accurate reading, that's fabulous. As a comparison, I have two 19" monitors attached to my computer. They are made by different manufacturers, and I just put a Kill-a-watt on both of them. They each draw 26-30 watts, and neither of them were producing any audio at the time. Granted, they are backlit with fluorescent lighting vs. your LEDs, but I in the flat panel world, I didn't think that makes much of a difference. Perhaps I am wrong.

Dave

Riwright
06-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Just an update on this televsion. I had posted power consumption numbers that sounded pretty low earlier, however I only had the one meter to measure with so those were the only numbers I had.

I recently installed a Trimeteric power monitor and did some new measurements. According to the Trimetric the TV pulls 2.4 amps when it is just on and 2.6 to 2.7 amps with the DVD running. Both measurements were done with no sound playing.

These numbers are more in line with what the manual says.

After living with the unit for several months I find I still like it, however we are not watching a lot of TV when we are out. Picture is very nice and sound is adequate. We've started running the sound through a Kicker ipod dock and that improves things quite a bit.

The remote is cryptic and you have to point the remote directly at the TV for it to work.

Other than those minor complaints I am pleased with it.