PDA

View Full Version : Flying J

WNYChange
09-02-2003, 05:29 PM
My wife and I have stopped in at Flying J travel plazas on many occasions in the year we have owned our TM and have come to appreciate their RV friendly ways. We have even slept in the TV a few nights after a long days drive. This past weekend we stopped into the Flying J in Austinburg, Ohio and were greeted by a large sign that said (kind of) "Ohio State law prohibits overnight camping in an RV on Flying J property". I asked the cashier what that meant and she said you could not park in a Flying J overnight. When I asked if we could sleep for a few hours, she said yes, but you could not stay overnight. When I asked how they know, she just shrugged. I asked why this was being implemented and she said that RV's are meant for campgrounds, and a Flying J is not a campground.
Are there any Ohio members who know what's going on with the Flying J's in Ohio? Is this some new law, or are they cracking down on an old law? I personally like the Flying J's because they are usually right on the highway. I would not search for a campground off the highway for a couple of hours sleep. Anybody know what's up?

efelker
09-02-2003, 06:17 PM
WNY:

Couldn't find anything in a Google search -- me thinks it was peculiar to this Flying J, not the state --

... although in doing the google search I did discover some other pretty peculiar Ohio laws. Here they are:

Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public, lest men see the reflection of their underwear.
It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
The Ohio driver's education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car.
Participating or conducting a duel is prohibited.

(Paulding) - A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him.

(Strongsville) - Catch 22 is banned.

(Toledo) - Throwing a snake at anyone is illegal.

(Youngstown) - You may not run out of gas.
Riding on the roof of a taxi cab is not allowed.

(Columbus) - It is illegal for stores to sell corn flakes on Sunday.

(Lima) - Any map that does not have Lima clearly stated on the map cannot be sold.

(Lowell) - It is unlawful to run a horse over five miles per hour.

(Marion) - You cannot eat a doughnut and walk backwards on a city street.

(McDonald) - Your duck may not paraded down Ohio Avenue.

(North Canton) - It is against the law to roller skate without notifying the police.

... now who says the Internet is an educational wasteland?

Ed

dbnoll
02-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I can't really comment on Flying J's, other than they usually have good prices on gas, but in Ohio you can park overnight at most rest stops. Most of the rest areas also have ample parking in the truck/trailer area. Also there are several rest areas on the Ohio Turnpike that actually have hookups for trailers.