PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts Elkmont 26, for full time RV

Doctorlock
08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Maybe a repeat? I'm planning for full time RVing for retirement. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience doing this? I was concerned with bed comfort, and day to day use as opposed to weekend use. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

brulaz
08-18-2011, 12:57 PM
We've lived in our Elkmont 24 for 8 weeks max. It works, especially if the weather is good and you can spend most of your time outside, but it's good to get home frankly. Our house has more property/space than any campsite and more facilities, like workshop, etc.

Really, it's up to you and your lifestyle, the weather, location ...

Scottie Dogs
08-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing next year. We just spent 4 days in Overgaard Az. this was a great campground mostly people that camp for 6 months to get out of the heat and lots of full timers. Brulaz has the right idea unless you go with a big unit like the people have at this campground we stayed at. I do like my house but I do like long camping trips too, but good to get back home. http://www.elkpinesrvresort.com/

We were lucky to get in they had 2 spaces open the rest are permanent sites $2,400 a season. They loved the TM they never saw one before so I was the talk of the place:) All these expensive motorhomes & 5th wheels and my 2006, 2720 SL was the hit!!! The people were so nice to us, just amazing and so friendly... Hope this helps...

Scottie Dogs
02-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Maybe a repeat? I'm planning for full time RVing for retirement. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience doing this? I was concerned with bed comfort, and day to day use as opposed to weekend use. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Here is a site that may help you out and others thinking of going full time in the TM. I really don’t think it would be a problem. Most full timers move around 3-4 times a year, they have special campgrounds/RV parks they really like and have friends that are full timers too.

It is a BIG decision to make that move in life and we are not sure we could do that, but again nothing ventured nothing gained. I have dreamed about it, I would prefer doing the 6-6 and keep my home like the snowbirds do.

One GOOD thing if you don’t like your neighbor hitch UP and leave (NO Relators to deal with) I love that. Remember no second chance in life do it or forget about it, I learned that years ago...

This site may help other TM owners thinking of doing this http://www.fulltime-rving.com/ Of course this is for the retired TM owners like me. :new_Eyecr

Dave

PopBeavers
02-20-2012, 04:11 PM
From early may through the end of October, when we are camping we spend most of the time outside. My wife and I sleep in the TM. Meal preparation and cooking is sometimes performed inside and sometimes outside.

I have heard rumors that some people live in places where it rains a little between May and Halloween. Assuming that to be true then I can see some desire for more indoor space. We don't live there so I don't know for sure.

fwiw, ever since 1986 it has never rained at my house in San Jose, CA. November is the start of the rainy season.

A lot of fulltimers go to Quartzite for the winter:

Every January something happens that is hard to believe, unless you have seen it! According to the Arizona Highway Department, as many as 750,000 to 1,000,000 people, mostly in RV’s, converge on this sleepy little desert town, located just 20 miles east of the California border on Interstate 10, for the rock, gem and mineral shows, plus numerous flea markets and the Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show. This phenomenon started over 40 years ago and is now billed as “The Largest Gathering Of RVers in the World”...

scrubjaysnest
02-20-2012, 04:41 PM
We spend 7 to 8 months on the road in our 2720SL. The other four or five are spent in a 28 foot Outback. Sometimes we even visit the house for a day or two. The smaller 2720 works great for us.

kokilo
02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
We spent 3 months in our 2720SD this winter. Most of that time was spent in the California desert at an RV park with full hookup. As long as we could get outside and do things the 2720SD was a fine home.

When we were inside due illness or bad weather for long periods it wore pretty thin. You never know what's around the corner health wise and risks increase with age.

Things we missed the most:
- Having an attached screened room for sitting outside and entertaining friends (had a nice one on our last RV). The TM awning is so fragile I can't see using it.
- Reliable high speed internet.
- Having a more comfortable bed we could get in and out of easier.
- Being able to repair the TM and TV ourselves. Most parks won't let you do any large projects and we need our shop and tools to do a good job.

Other than that we both really enjoyed not having to think about all the things we were supposed to be doing at home. As soon as we can we will be on the road again.

Peter and Martha

TravlinOn
02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
When I was much younger and tent camping in the Smokies, I met a retired couple who routinely RV’d in the Smokies in the Summer months and then routinely parked in Florida for the Winter months. I later learned that the Cherokee Indians also did that in their early history – some of their early trails apparently came all the way down to the West Palm Beach area – very smart people!

Now, we too would love to live aboard the TM for the most part, but like Kokilo mentioned above, illnesses and health maintenance requirements become nagging concerns for many persons’ retirement years at some point. We have found what we think are excellent doctors and health facilities in our local area. Having to go to a “doc in a box” somewhere is something we like to avoid.

Perhaps, the best approach is to rent a large storage unit in your current local area, put a generator in it along with tools for maintenance, and find a nice local campground for whenever it might be needed for health and RV maintenance? Then, whenever all goes well, go far! Perhaps we’ll meet you along the way.

happybeebob
02-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Perhaps, the best approach is to rent a large storage unit in your current local area, put a generator in it along with tools for maintenance, and find a nice local campground for whenever it might be needed for health and RV maintenance? Then, whenever all goes well, go far! Perhaps we’ll meet you along the way.

TravlinOn:
Appreciate what you wrote here. Renting the storage unit is something I had never given a thought of doing. Would eventually like to spend the winter months somewhere warmer but spend all the Spring,Summer and Fall back in Oregon with kids and grandkids. Wife's Doctor's are also here and it would be hard to leave their support and the friendship she has with them.

Bob

Dave E
02-22-2012, 04:14 PM
The OP asked about bed comfort. My wife and I have a 2010 Elkmont 24. We really like the walk around queen bed with night stands, drawers and shirt closet on each side. We could not sleep on a short foam bed. We went to Innomax.com in Denver Colorado and bought a full size queen air bed. My wife had to lengthen the sheets so they will tuck in at the bottom since the 80" queen bed is much longer than the Elkmont bed base. We can each adjust the bed to the desired firmness and I can still slip around the bottom of the bed on the side by the couch. I ordered two more powerful gas lifts from Supra to hold the bed up when we access the under bed storage. Our dealer attached the bed better than the factory had after it came off the wall during our third camping trip.

We were very sorry to hear that Trailmanor has stopped production of the Elkmont. We would not buy a popup. We had looked at other trailers. We walked into the Elkmont and within 10 seconds my wife said, "I want it". The skylights made it so light inside, the J couch gave more room, the stainless steel sink, numerous lights, seat ledge in the shower, silverware drawers. The Elkmont was so well laid out and designed by people who had been camping. The Elkmont 24 is why we own a Trailmanor. We go to RV shows and go inside other small trailers and it is like walking into a cave. They are so dark and made so cheaply. We have never seen anything that compares to our Elkmont. Yes we have had problems but our dealer The Car Show in Colorado Springs has repaired them under warranty. We can tow it with our Buick Enclave (4500 lb towing capacity) and get 10 to 12 mpg towing and 20 to 22 without the trailer. I hope they bring it back soon.

P and B
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I took a new job in another state and have been living in my 3124KS since last October. For me, it's comfortable enough but you can't have much in the way of toys. The small refrigerator is a total pain since you can store very little in it and, if you do cook, there's no place to put left overs. As for the weather, I have been fine down into the teens but I use two 5000btu electric heaters and use the furnace as backup. The little 20lb tanks don't last long using the heater and mine are under a slideout so I removed them and set them on the ground.

I haven't move and that's key. I think if you moved a lot- even once a week, the TM might get a little old since it takes a while to get everything ready to go. Maybe all trailers are like that. If you moved three or four times a year then I'd say it wasn't an issue.

Bathroom gets a little small too ;-)

Beak12
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM

As you can see from our signiture block we did a lot of RV living. But because of health reasons we sold the Class A. After a few month my wife said lets try a trailer. The first one was a TM 2720SL. We now have a Elkmont 24 and we got the model with the hide-a-bed couch. Which has worked out OK. They had not made the Elkmont 26 at the time. For long stays at one place I would want the 26 or the 24 with the Hide-a-bed. But if my arms and back were good I would go for the 2720SL there was something about coming home from -whatever-and streatch out on the couch reading and watching my wife in the recliner reading and planning the next days adventures. Great life--we kept our condo and rented it out so we had some extra money. I say go for it---you can always pack up and go home.:)
PS: Our 2720SL was used (04) and I think it had the factory mattress which both my wife and I loved. Slept great. But we like firm.

Scottie Dogs
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Here is a website that every TM owner should go thru. http://www.movinon.net/ This couple is JUST amazing, now years latter they live in our community. I subscribed to there news letter for so many years ago and I have the 2 books they wrote about full timing.

Even if it is not your CUP of tea it is very interesting how some people REALLY love this life style... ENJOY and LEARN things from the people that did this first hand for so many years. TONS of information HERE!!! 14 years on the full time circuit, my dream!!!

Dave

Joseph
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
I enjoy our TM. Don't get me wrong. But for full timing more is better. Also, go with a company that makes RV's for full time use. I am a member of Northwoods forum as well and if I ever get to be Blessed enough to full time it would be in one of their products. Artic Fox to be specific. Look at how they are built. Compare that with how our TM's are built. I could even go so far as to say that comparing a TM to any real full time RV is trying to compare apples to oranges. They are built different as they each have different goals they are trying to accomplish. I do like my TM and plan to keep it for a long time yet...:) And everyone has an opinion on what it takes to full time. I just think that if one is going to go that route one should start with a RV that is designed for that. IMHO the TM is not.

PopBeavers
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
My brother has a Montana 5th wheel. After having one with a double slide he traded it in for a triple slide.

He says it is big enough for him to full time. His wife says otherwise.

They take trips for 2 to 3 months at a time.

They mostly go where it is not raining. If you were camping where it was raining then you would be inside more often.

I have seen the cabin where Mark twain lived when he was near Sonora CA. Any room of my house, other than the bathrooms, is larger than that cabin.

Some people need more space than others.

Could you live in space that was the size of a modern kitchen?

Could you live in a space that was drafty and not well insulated?

If you can travel and follow the sun that would help.

If I was full timing I would want the biggest I could afford. My wife and I have filled a 2300 square foot house after the two kids left. In a TM, where would I put my 65 inch 3D TV with surround sound?