PDA

View Full Version : TrailManor Design History???

w9oh
08-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know the history of the TrailManors?? That is, in looking at the Kelly Bluebook for the 2720SL it looks like the current weight is 2680 beginning in 2000. But 1999 the weight was 2550. And from 1995-1998 the weight was 2480??? In 1994 there was no 2720 SL but some other models, like a whole lot of them.

Does any one know if the construction changed or if some of the equipment became optional?? I thinking of buying a Trailmanor to tow with my 2004 Toyota Sienna but think I like the back sofa better than the dinette. I do like the longer model with the double bed also but the sofa would probably work ok. Probably want a used TrailManor at this time but these different weights are confusing as it appears that the older units are actually lighter?? I don't have any dealers near me here in Indianapolis so...
Thanks
Dick ???

Denny_A
08-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Dick,

All you need to do is determine the specs dry weight (as listed in whatever source is reliable), then go to the Frequently Asked Questions section of the forum. Once there, click on TrailManor Dry Weight. Here's the link:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabbse/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=1092&st art=0

Bottom line - rarely will a TrailManor be sold without the majority of the weightier options. So adding 400 lbs to the dry weight listed in the specs will serve you well as you ponder the suitability of a tow vehicle.

HTH - Denny_A

w9oh
08-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks to all for info but, Sorry, I wasn't trying to learn about weight calculation, but am more interested in changes in the TrailManor through the years. The weight change I thought indicated a major change in the units. I am probably looking to buy a used unit and wondered if any particular years had stronger construction or major problems eliminated???

Also, can anyone tell me how long it actually takes to open a unit with the slide and without? Let's say you stopping, at a Walmart for the night and do not plan to hookup but just stop, maybe shower and sleep. Can the unit be opened while still attached to the tow vehicle?

If you are hooking up, is there any procedures that require more time?

Windbreaker
08-25-2003, 10:59 AM
It takes my wife and I less then 5 min. to fully set up with full hook ups.

That is leveling and setting up the trailer changing power source on reffer, turning on hot water and making sewer, water, electric, phone, cable connections.

Yes the TM can be set up without unhitching.

No major design changes that I know of. The first ones look a lot like the present day ones.

Now of the caviet, I would not tow a TM with anything less than a 5000 lbs. tow rating. But then I always error on the safe side.

Bill
08-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Having a slideout has no effect on setup or teardown time. You just grab the handle and pull (or push), just like one of the beds.

I'm not sure why the weight has crept up over the years. Most likely, some things that were formerly options became standard equipment - maybe things like the fire extinguisher and gas detector, for example. A couple more lights. Carpet. Maybe an extra window was added. Stuff like that. I don't think there was any major structural change beyond the change from part-wood to all-aluminum framing.

Bill

Happytrails
08-25-2003, 04:45 PM
I might be of some help here, of the MAJOR design differences is going from all wood, to all aluminum tubing for the framing of the TM is a BIGGIE! I don't think that would be a problem if you're looking for a newer unit at all. Another design thing you would want to look for is rounded wheel wells, less you'll have to do it yourself, put "rounded" in the search engine here, and that should produce a lot of info on that. The really new units are using a completely different bumper design you might find favorable, especially with the new power cord hookup. (The new ones can be plugged in while closed up). A couple of the smaller changes which may or may not affect someone looking for a newer unit is the adjustment bolts for both the torsion bars, and the travel arms. (The latter being a COMPLETE mystery to me until just recently, and I have NO idea when they started that modification, but it makes a certain adjustment EXTREMELY easy and simple to do without any real fuss). Just a few things to look for that don't have to do with weight that might be of importance to you as like everyone's stated, it's more of the particular options that are chosen than anything else that affects the weight of the unit. My particular unit was manufactured in 1986, just three years after the company brought their product on the market, and to day, they've not changed a whole lot.....but what I've said here are the major changes dealing with the structure, and functioning I think you're really concerned about. I could go on and on about the outdoor shower, ac units, etc etc........but I think I got what you're really curious about. Hope this helps.......

Happytrails........