PDA

View Full Version : First trip in TM

red_apache
08-23-2003, 02:39 PM
We just returned from a 9 day 2,478 mile trip up the california coast to Oregon from San Diego and returned by way of Reno to Sacramento and down hiway 99. This was our first trip in our brand new 2004 2619. There was 4 of us my wife and I and our 2 10 year old grand daughters (twins) we had plenty of room and the trailer worked great. We tow with a 2001 Suzuki XL 7 V6 2.7 liter eng. We averaged 16.6 mpg and our best tank was Susanville to Reno and on to Sacramento, 230 miles on 13 gallons 17.6 mpg

We only had two issues, we lost our trailer brakes a few hundred miles into the trip. On inspection all 3 wires leading to the left trailer brake were cut about 8 inches from the wire connectors, there was evidence of the wires being pinched and they were all cut in the exact same place. I was able to repair with wire nuts.
The second issue was a broken left rear window,the one above the bed. We had stopped at a WalMart in Crescent City, I think someone hit the window with a car door ? I will be more careful where I park it now, although I was way out in the parking lot,no other cars near us, but it still is the only thing that makes any sense. The windows are at the right height when towing to be vulnerable to car door dings ?
Anyway, we had a great time, we love our trailer and can't wait until we can go again.

Jack & Gayle

Larry_Loo
08-24-2003, 07:16 AM
Hi Red,

Congratulations on completing the first trip in your TM trailer - although it appears that it was not a completely troublefree trip.

It's strange that the left rear window in your TM 2619 was broken. If you were parked at a far end of the WalMart parking lot (where most RVs are usually parked), you wouldn't expect any auto or truck driver to park way out there close to your trailer. Perhaps it was a random act of vandalism?

Anyway, we're glad that you discovered the loss of your trailer brakes and repaired them before you had an accident.
:D :D

Happytrails
08-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I have to wonder about that Red, sounds like something fishy to me. I say this because on our return trip from MD, we stopped at the Pottery at Williamsburg for an hour or so to do some shopping. When we returned, I noticed my brakes weren't working properly, and my right and left turn signals were going opposite on the trailer from my tow vehicle. When I went to inspect the plug finally, I had noticed it looked like someone had ground it down or something on the pavement to remove the notch so they could put it back in upsidown! Talk about mad! We were parked in specific parking spots just for people towing trailers as well! I just don't get some people, all I can say is that it's a VERY good thing I didn't catch em doing it!

Happytrails.........

RandP
08-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Glad you had a great first time out. I gotta tell you, if those wires were broke straight across in a clean cut, it sound like some nitwit had nothing better to do. We are just up the road from you in north county. SEE YOU ON THE ROAD.

red_apache
08-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Happy Trails

I think the wires were pinched in shipping. They were cut about 8 inches from where the wires exit the backing plate. I didn't like how tight they were strapped down, so I re-attached them with some slack after I repaired them. You could diffently see pinch marks on the wire casing right where the cut was. I'm thinking maybe a hold down chain got wrapped around them in shipping ?

I really think the window got dinged by a car door.
I parked way out in the parking lot no cars any where near me, when I parked, but, that doesn't mean someone couldn't have
stopped next to the trailer
and opened a door into it. The windows are at the right height for this to happen when in towing mode.

Jack & Gayle