PDA

View Full Version : Elkmont tongue warning

mkayers
06-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to warn everyone about problems to watch out for with the Elkmont. We have a 2009 & got home from North Carolina on Wednesday. When I got out I noticed the back end of the camper was about a foot higher than the front. Turns out the tongue is bent up about 5 degrees & the support under the front of the unit has broken welds & it has torn thru the a-frame tubes. The a-frame tubes are both twisted & the twist runs about 18" past the front of the unit. It's at our dealer now & he's contacting Trailmanor. I talked to another Michigan dealer & they've already repaired one & sent a second back to the factory to be repaired. Trailmanor is aware of it. Apparently they weld a piece to make it a true "A-frame" and add more gussets to fix it. I'm towing with a Trailblazer & Robin wdh with 800# bars.

wbmiller3
06-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Scary!

PopBeavers
06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Reminds me of the cracked frame I reported here in either 2005 or 2006 for my 2005 TM 2720 with swing tongue.

Not exactly the same problem.

but I agree the failure is scary.

brulaz
06-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I think our 2010 Elkmont 24 has a cross bar at the joint at the bottom of the A and no cut-out that close to the joint as seen in the last photo.

But these frames are light-weight, only made of 0.125" steel with lots of weight reducing cut-outs. So they've gotta get the design right.

mkayers
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Well the good thing is that Trailmanor was aware of it & has parts on the way. They said they retrofitted a bunch on the way out but mine must have been one of the early ones. At least it didn't collapse or something going down the highway too.

Bigbit
06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Yours is one of the early ones, as it has the front access door to the front storage area as opposed to the two side doors, which I believe was instituted somewhere in the middle of the 2009 model year. You can see side access doors on my and Brulaz's avatar pictures.

brulaz
06-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Well the good thing is that Trailmanor was aware of it & has parts on the way. They said they retrofitted a bunch on the way out but mine must have been one of the early ones. At least it didn't collapse or something going down the highway too.

You would think they would contact everybody who purchased one of these early units. Good grief, do a recall and get it fixed.

mkayers
06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I really was surprised they didn't do a recall once I heard they knew about it.
As far as the side access doors, I wish mine had those. Seems like it would be alot easier to get stuff in & out.

bell
06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
This is an 09 problem. The factory said they sent repair kits to dealer s who sold them but few actually repaired them

hingepin
11-04-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm still on the fence about what to purchase. I've been looking for about 2 yrs now and time to get off the pot. I like the looks of the Elkmont and there is a good deal on a 2011 at a local dealer. I don't want to buy something that will give me problems off the bat since this will be my first TT. Then again, TM sounds like it about to open up shop again.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/listing/2011-TRAIL-MANOR-Elkmont-24-99301134

I do like the folding concept but after I saw a used 2720 set up at a different dealer, the gap between the top and bottom that is covered by a pad bothers me.

I'm half tempted to go all out on an Evergreen Element but is over twice what I want to pay for a first TT. My goal is a compromise that will be at least a 10 yr investment in fun and relaxation in the off time.

brulaz
11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Hopefully you shouldn't have a problem with the frame in a 2011 model. Mine is a 2010, built Dec 2009 IIRC, and the frame is quite different from those with the problem.

But we had other problems well documented on this board. But now that they are all fixed, we're happy. And I've yet to see another trailer that I like as much as the Elkmont.

I would, however, be concerned about the warranty. A new company may or may not support your Elkmont. Trailmanor spent a bundle on ours under warranty getting it in shape. I wouldn't buy it without a warranty.

Mentor RV is a big place and should be able to warranty it themselves. I'm not sure what their reputation is, but the price is excellent.

brulaz
11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh, and I hope you are ignoring all that B.S. about the Elkmont only weighing 2500# and how you can tow it with a VW Beetle.

Ours typically weighs 3800# and (most importantly) 620# of that is on the tongue. You will want a tow vehicle that can handle that.

moaboy
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Well you may not want to write off the 2720 so fast. I have one and the issue of the gap covered by pads has never been a problem and I have been in cold weather and severe rain storms. Don't get me wrong, I too really like the Elkmont, but the folding trailers are great to tow and garage.

Good luck.

scrubjaysnest
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I do like the folding concept but after I saw a used 2720 set up at a different dealer, the gap between the top and bottom that is covered by a pad bothers me.

I wouldn't let that bother you, we just spent six months on the road with ours and no problems. Plus you are not bothered with highway cross winds like the higher profile TT