PDA

View Full Version : I figured out our weight distributing hitch... NOT

Eutychus
08-16-2003, 07:22 PM
First I measure the TV from the ground to the bumper. Then I subtract the length of our bumper from the displacement of the TM. Multiply by six and divide by the day of the week we are leaving. Then adjust the chain according to the thingy that hangs from the do-hicky.

Perhaps not. But I am curious if I will figure out the instructions tomorrow for our first trip. I think it will be more apparent as we go through it. Thanks to all who posted on the previous hitches post which went into some detail.

We are very excited for our first trip and will post a follow up.

caremd99
08-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Here is what I do.

Step 1) With no weight on the hitch I measure from the top of each fender to the highest point on the tire. (4 measurements)

Step 2) Pick the link in the chain I think will be enough and put the weight on the hitch.

Step 3) Measure like I did in step 1. Ideally I would like to see that every measurement decreased the same amount.

Step 4) If I am happy with the measurements then load up the family and go. If the rear decreased more than the front then try the next link by unloading the weight and going to step 2.

I repeat this until either the front and rear decrease the same amount or until I reach the "strongest" amount of distribution. To remain safe my hitch requires the closest link I can use is number six from the bar.

My personal result is I always need the strongest amount and the rear decreases a quarter to half inch more than the front. Tows and handles great.

Windbreaker
08-16-2003, 09:17 PM
???

WD hitches are not hard.

1. Find a nice level place, measure the distance from both the front and rear bumper, write that down.

2. Hook up trailer including the WD hitch, for starters hook on the second or third chain link.

3. Measure the bumpers again, write that down. Subtract the second set of numbers from the first.

4. If the rear bumper result is greater than one inch larger than the front bumper result take up one more link on both chains. If result is less than one inch, leave it alone. If front bumper result is greater than one half inch larger than rear bumper result back up one link on both chains of WD hitch.

Now the easy way, look at your TV while unhooked. Hookup, look again. Is back sagging? Take up a link, is front dipping? Let out a link. Look the same, just a little lower, leave it alone.

The only real problems will occure if you are really out of wack. As in too much weight on trailer tires and front wheels or too much on TV rear wheels, you can tell by looking.

Have a good safe trip! Have fun, don't worry be happy!

Eutychus
08-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Wow, really appreciate you both giving such good suggestions. I think they will really help tomorrow. I will give a report when we get back. Thanks!

Bill
08-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Now the easy way. Look at your TV while unhooked. Hookup, look again. Is back sagging? Take up a link, is front dipping? Let out a link. Look the same, just a little lower, leave it alone.Windy -

I have done the measure-and-try route a couple times. It works but it's kind of a pain. However, you have suggested a method that would be easier, and ought to work just as well. I haven't tried it, but maybe ...

Unhook the trailer entirely. Get a four-foot carpenter's level. Put it on the roof of your car, oriented fore-and-aft. Shim up the front or rear of the level (using a pencil, small wood blocks, a magazine, whatever) until the level reads LEVEL.

Now drop the coupler onto the hitch ball. The level will show that the rear of the tow vehicle squats. Your goal is to figure out, by trial-and-error, which link in the springbar chains will bring the level back to LEVEL. So drop the third link of each chain over the springbar hooks, and snap up the spring bars. Does the level read LEVEL? If so, good - you're done. If not, try moving up or down one link (both sides always the same), until the level reads as close to LEVEL as possible.

If no choice is exactly correct, and you have to choose between two adjacent links, choose the one that provides a slight amount of nose-up attitude.

This method ought to be a lot less cumbersome and error-prone, since it eliminates the need to measure, record, subtract, compare, etc. What do you think?

Bill

Windbreaker
08-19-2003, 09:08 PM
That's right, but I just do it by eye. Of course I also buy twice the wood I need for a project because I believe in measure one, cut twice or something like that.