PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution Hitch for Elkmont 22

nicknsandy
05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
We purchased a new Elkmont 22 in Dec. and could not get out over the winter. We are now planning a trip. What I am wondering is whether a weight distribution hitch is a good idea and if a sway control is needed. We were told that we really didn't need anything but I have found out by past experience that groups like this with real practical experience have much more knowledge on what is best.
Thank You for your inputs.

mjlaupp
05-08-2011, 07:40 PM
We can't answer your questions until we know what tow vehicle you are using.

nicknsandy
05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I am towing with a Nissan Frontier Crew cab 4wd with Auto transmission. Out last Trailer was a Fun Finder 19' with close to the same weight as the Elkmont.

mjlaupp
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
With what you have, I would try it without the WDH or sway control. You are at that point where it will probably safely work ok. What you may find out is that it will be more comfortable towing with a WDH. Only by tying will you find out.
Good luck and have phun.

brulaz
05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
With our Tacoma's long wheel base (140.5"), we do not need sway control with the Elkmont 24.

But we do need a WDH. Our tongue weight is 620#, and with everything else we put in the bed of the Taco, the GAWR of the rear axle is exceeded. And about 300# is lifted off the front axle without the WDH; not good for handling.