PDA

View Full Version : Elkmont storage door gaskets - not sitting properly

Bigbit
04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Has anyone else had trouble with the gasket used on the outer edge of the Elkmont storage doors? I'm talking about these:

http://www.scubajoe.net/gallery2/d/4748-1/doorgasket.jpg

Mine keep rolling over at the corners and not sitting in their grooved seats properly. I push them back in and minutes later, they're back out again.

If you had this problem, have you found a solution for it?

It's primarily cosmetic in nature, but detracts from the appearance of the trailer.

Harry Womack
04-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I replaced my trim with an aftermarket trim that was 1/8" wider and it still looks good after 4 years. The trim they use is too narrow. I think I used 5/8" wide trim.

ShrimpBurrito
04-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Good to know, Harry. I've had the same problem on mine, so while at the factory last summer, I had them replace it. Two weeks later, the brand new stuff looked exactly like the old stuff.......sigh.....

Dave

Bigbit
04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I replaced my trim with an aftermarket trim that was 1/8" wider and it still looks good after 4 years. The trim they use is too narrow. I think I used 5/8" wide trim.
Thanks very much, Harry. Just one more question - do you remember where you got the replacement trim and/or any details about it?

Harry Womack
04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I purchased white Camco 3/4" x 25' roll of moulding. It measured 7/8" wide. It fits in the groove tight and does not come out in the corners. I think the package was mis-marked 3/4". It is 1/8" wider than the original moulding. I am trying to find out if there is a 7/8" width available from Camco. It has not been cut down from 1" moulding because it has the two beveled edges on the sides. I have talked to Camco and they do not know how I got 7/8" wide moulding. They buy this in bulk and re-package it. Maybe they received the wrong size and did not notice and sold it as 3/4". The 7/8" works great. Maybe if you are at a RV parts store, check the moulding they carry in stock.

brulaz
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I've been tempted to just rip mine out. It serves no purpose other than cosmetic and may look just as good without it. (?)

Bigbit
06-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I bought 100' each of the Camco 3/4" wide and 1" wide molding. The 3/4" wide molding seemed a bit wider than what was on the trailer, so I used that.

It took a couple of minutes to get the hang of how to install the trim, but after that, the job went fast. So far it looks good.

Now I have to figure out what to do with 190' of RV trim... :)

I could have bought smaller quantities, but it was almost the same price!

Bigbit
06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Checked on my rig over the weekend. The new trim is sitting in the channel properly and looks great. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Upstart
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I talked to TrailManor about fixing this problem and they said they would simply take the trim off and replace the existing screws with white ones to match the door frame. They said the trim is just decorative.