PDA

View Full Version : First trip in TM

Rene_R
08-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Let me tell you how much I love our 2720!

We took it out a week ago for a two-night "shake down" in preparation for our Labor Day jaunt to Sequoia National Park. Per my husband, towing it was a breeze. Definitely a far cry from the trip home from Anaheim a week ago, where LA traffic made the driving miserable.

We stayed close to home; Flying Flags in Buellton is just over an hour away. Setting up went smoothly, the only challenge being keeping two over-excited children out of harm's way.

The beds are a lot more comfortable than we had imagined. We put both kids (ages 3 and 5) in the back on the Queen, and we took the full. This allowed us to stay up and read or watch TV after they had gone to bed. Everything worked, which was nice. The fridge worked a little too well; we had planned on having carrot sticks with lunch on Saturday, and instead were faced with "carrotsicles." ::) Oh well. Time to invest in a fridge thermometer.

At first, one of our challenges was keeping everything uncluttered; I kept running into crayons! Storage and de-cluttering are really not an issue in the 2720 as we found out. The cabinets under the Queen bed are perfect to store stuff you don't need out.

I took notes on things that would make things easier, but over all I was impressed by the quality of the TM. Very comfortable! I can hardly wait until Labor Day. Until then, we have a long shopping list, and I love shopping. ;D

Rene

Happytrails
08-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Lol, it's good to hear all went well.......I think you'll find your hardest job being one you're used to......simply keeping up with the kids! ;)

Happytrails.........

arknoah
08-13-2003, 07:20 AM
Rene,

Great to hear that your first trip went well. We've never considered having the kids sleep in the rear and us in the front, perhaps because on those colder spring or early fall nights, the rear bed is so much colder, and they just balk at going back there.

It's great to have a shakedown where instead of things falling apart or making little mistakes (like we did), the only adventure or challenge is "how many marshmallows to give the kids...."

Civil_War_Buff
08-13-2003, 07:49 AM
We've never considered having the kids sleep in the rear and us in the front, perhaps because on those colder spring or early fall nights, the rear bed is so much colder, and they just balk at going back there.

FJ & E,

Have you considered putting "reflectix" under the mattress? We did this when we had our tent trailer, and the tradition continues with the TM. We put a layer under there and the beds are much warmer, and we have camped in some pretty cool temps last fall/winter. If you haven't done that, you might want to check it out....you can get the materials at Home Depot or Lowes, and it really does work!

Larry

ColoradoCop
08-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Also, if you plan to do cool weather camping, consider skirting the ends. There was a topic on this a while back. The skirt keeps the cool winds from blowing under the bed. Also check the gap around the bed and the side walls. We found a rather sizable gap and now stuff an extra blanket in the area. Helps kep the feet warm ;)

Congrats on your first TM experience. Hope the kids get to love campng.

ColoradoCop 8)

Windbreaker
08-13-2003, 04:05 PM
You know those little round tubes they make for keeping the drafts from entering through the bottom of doors? Wife made something like that for placing around the gapping places. Looks good, and works to boot.