PDA

View Full Version : how to make a portable solar mount frame?

joe&Nance
03-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi,
I have been trying to find out how to make a portable frame for my two 80watt solar panels as don't want to mount them permanently. I haven't located any pics of this on the site for "portable" ones, only the ones where they were mounted permanently (mine only came with the permanent mounts so I have to make something and want it sturdy without being too heavy...) I saw this and wondered if it is easier to get something premade like this?

http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar-Panel-Mounts-Trackers/RV-Specialty-Solar-Panel-Mounting/Unirac-990012-RV-Rack-w-Folding-Tilt-Legs/p4711/

Next, is there a way open the trailer with them not permanently fixed, or do you have to place them on top after open?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill
04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I just made mine out of aluminum L-stock from the hardware store, which appears to be what Unirac used. Did you see this thread? Post #35 has my photo, but there is a lot of good discussion throughout the thread.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034

As for opening the trailer, first determine if you need the panels to be up in the air. Quite often I just place mine on the ground, though only in campsites where the risk of theft is small (surprisingly this is not always the wildland campgrounds). If I want them up, I open the front shell, then set them on the roof of the rear shell and open it. It makes the rear shell a bit heavier, so my wife helps me lift it when I am feeling anemic. The problem with putting them on the roof is that it is hard to re-aim them as the day goes along.

Bill

joe&Nance
04-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Bill,
thank you so much, I had looked at that thread but as I was viewing in "thread" hadn't actually seen your post... changed to "hybrid" and was able to scroll through all the posts to see it. Thanks so much for directing me... This will certainly help... (sure wish the bathroom remodel was done so I could try sooner, still a few weeks of work left there then I can try this.)
Nance

rumbleweed
04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I used 3/4" PVC to make my portable frames for both 80 W and 140W panels. If you carefully choose which joints you glue, the entire thing will disassemble and fold flat for transport. These have been outside in place 24/7 for 2 yrs.. See attached photos.

joe&Nance
04-01-2011, 03:53 PM
I used 3/4" PVC to make my portable frames for both 80 W and 140W panels. If you carefully choose which joints you glue, the entire thing will disassemble and fold flat for transport. These have been outside in place 24/7 for 2 yrs.. See attached photos.

another great idea...

Bill
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Actually, Bob / rumbleweeds' approach is better than mine. Home in on his design.

Bill

joe&Nance
04-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Actually, Bob / rumbleweeds' approach is better than mine. Home in on his design.

Bill

Bill,
IThanks for saying that, I am very familiar with pvc, having done a lot of plumbing....
Nance

rumbleweed
04-02-2011, 08:40 AM
If you have some rough terrain, you can add a short piece of string between the front and rear bottom leg to eliminate stress on the pvc joints. ( Orange lines in photo)

joe&Nance
05-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Finally finished my master bath remodel and got it made, thanks...
Nance

joe&Nance
05-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Well, thanks again... I finally got my setup done... Dropped in a new battery box, put the batteries in parallel and setup quick connect so I could access easily... works well @ home ---hopefully we can get them on the roof ok... looks like will rain on our trip so probably should bring the generator too...

joe&Nance
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Finally finished my master bath remodel and got it made, thanks...
Nance

Well, we finally got to try out the solar panels on trip to Shasta/whiskeytown.
We found that even though we were in a very shaded area for most of the day that our 160w system kept the batteries fully charged without any issues. we used our television some and kept all phones, computers etc charged without issue. We were very impressed, too bad that the 1st 24 hours was continuous rain and there was no way to set up right away to see if it would do anything during the rain... thanks again for all the help. The stands worked wonderfully. I was lucky to have enough pvc left over from other jobs so the cost for the corners etc was minimal! Glad u all helped with ideas. Thanks again.
Nance

Redhawk
06-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Sounds like a great project and that you did a great job.

FYI...I've been camping in the mtns during heavy cloud cover and rain and was surprised to see that the panel still managed to put out enough of a charge to bring the battery back up. Not as good or fast as bright sun of course, but it still worked. Your 2 panels should be even better. I only have 1 80W.

joe&Nance
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a great project and that you did a great job.

FYI...I've been camping in the mtns during heavy cloud cover and rain and was surprised to see that the panel still managed to put out enough of a charge to bring the battery back up. Not as good or fast as bright sun of course, but it still worked. Your 2 panels should be even better. I only have 1 80W.

thanks for letting me know about your exerience!

Redhawk
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm curious as to how you were using the tv and charging the computers, is it a 12V tv? Thanks....