PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Cord

08-10-2003, 08:13 AM
I was reading some of the past threads on powering the fridge with AC power while the unit is in the down position. If you use the existing cord, where do thread it down, how far do you pull it out, and do you have to put the trailer back up to store it before towing? If not, where do you store it ? We have a 3124KB, and were considering drilling a hole in the floor of the storage compartment to make a new exit for the cord.
Also, is there any concern about the converter overheating, since the wardrobe placement may block heat dissipation?
Hope this is clear.

Bill
08-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Judy -

I've seen two good answers - both better than mine (though I was first!) Use the SEARCH key to find them - I gather you have already done this!

One suggested that a short flat heavy-duty cord could be attached to the main cord, and would fit down the outside of the TM, beside the body seal, as the TM is folded. Only disadvantage - you have to do something with the free end of the cord when you hit the road - but this seemed pretty easy to handle.

The other is from Den_Ted, who drilled a hole through the floor of his battery compartment, and threaded an extension cord down into the bumper compartment.

Either should do real well for you, although I do have some concerns about the converter over-charging the battery if left on for a long time. The converter is not a precision three- or four-stage charger. Denny's solution would make it easy to add a precision charger in the battery compartment.

Re the converter overheating, no there is no problem, at least in a 2720 installation. There is a lot of ventilation in that area, and the wardrobe fits into the passageway quite loosely. I have used a similar power-up situation for over a year, with no sign of warmth.

Bill

Denny_A
08-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Judy,

Here's the link to my post, re powering the fridge "from DC" with the trailer closed AND using AC power:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabbse/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=908;star t=15

Go to reply #16 in the thread. The link provided in the post is to a "Webshots" site where I've shown how I did it. Additional advantge will be to alternatively power my battery "charge-keeper" when the trailer is stored in the garage during the winter!

HTH - Denny_A

08-10-2003, 04:10 PM
DenTed,
I looked at the pictures you took. I am still confused about a couple of points. Do you travel with the extension cord still connected to the main power cord, with the male end stored under the trailer, or do you have to raise the trailer again before towing and disconnect the extension cord? From looking at the pictures it appears that you have disconnected the extension cord, and have the 2 ends mated under the trailer in a storage position. Many thanks.
Judy

Denny_A
08-10-2003, 05:26 PM
DenTed,
I looked at the pictures you took. I am still confused about a couple of points. Do you travel with the extension cord still connected to the main power cord, with the male end stored under the trailer, or do you have to raise the trailer again before towing and disconnect the extension cord? From looking at the pictures it appears that you have disconnected the extension cord, and have the 2 ends mated under the trailer in a storage position. Many thanks.
Judy

It seems you were viewing the webshot pics from the URL I posted in reply #14 to the thread I directed you to.

If so, those pictures refer to the first solution I posted - re. power for DC for the reefer, from an AC source, with the trailer closed. Assuming that's what you were viewing , then one merely would diconnect the shore power from the plug hanging under the trailer, and go. Or, having disconnected, one might attach a cover to the plug to keep it from getting dirty. At the campground, after opening the trailer, then connect the 2 ends of the extension cord under the trailer, then revert to 30 amps. The cord would then be ready for the next use.

Go back to the reply of my previous post, this thread, and click on the URL. Then make sure it's reply # 16 and click on the URL there. It's my "inside-the-trailer" solution to the same issue.

Here's THE URL, Just to be sure!Hope that clarifies it :-*

http://community.webshots.com/album/83092204FcbibG

Denny_A

08-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Yes, I went back and looked at your second set up. Very good pictures, and ideas. We have a flat extension cord that says "14/3" on it, so its not quite 15A. Will look through the winter for a heavier cord. Thank you for all the information.
Judy

red_apache
08-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Judy
The 14 refers to the size of the wire and the 3 means
that it has 2 conductors and a ground, this does not refer to the amperes that the wire can carry.
14 gauge wire is commonly used in 15 amp household circuits. The next size up is 12 gauge, the smaller the number the bigger the wire. Hope this helps

Jack

08-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Jack,
Thanks.
Judy