PDA

View Full Version : Visitor Message

Bluegrass
02-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I just found a "Visitor message" that I didn't know I had. Someone sent it to me last December. I didn't even know that such a thing existed. I stumbled on it when I clicked "User CP" on the home page. What is the difference between a "Visitor Message" and a PM?

And how would I know I even have one waiting? Actually, now I'm having a hard time even finding it again.

Keith

MudDog
02-10-2011, 08:48 AM
I believe vistor messages can be left when someone visits (looks at) your public profile....and it appears they are public (or at least on your privacy settings the vistor messages are public) because when I look at you public profile I can see the visitor message that was left.

I've never had one left, so not sure how you would be notified that there is a vistitor message.

--jim

::EDIT:: LOL - on looking at my profile, I actually had a vistor message as well...from April 2010

scrubjaysnest
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Had the same, just happened to go to usercp to make a sig line change and there was the message. Maybe Bill knows a way to flag getting a visitor msg?

Bill
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Had the same, just happened to go to usercp to make a sig line change and there was the message. Maybe Bill knows a way to flag getting a visitor msg?Offhand I don't know of a method, but I'll look into it. However, it appears possible to disable Visitor Messages. In the User Control Panel, go to "Settings and Options" > "Edit Options", then scroll down to "Messaging and Notification" and then to "Visitor Messaging". It appears that you can disable Visitor Messages altogether, or limit Visitor Messages to people you have put on your Contacts list.

My personal feeling is that Visitor Messages serve no purpose that can't better be served by Private Messages - but that's just me.

Bill

Bluegrass
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
However, it appears possible to disable Visitor Messages. In the User Control Panel, go to "Settings and Options" > "Edit Options", then scroll down to "Messaging and Notification" and then to "Visitor Messaging". It appears that you can disable Visitor Messages altogether, or limit Visitor Messages to people you have put on your Contacts list.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. For the record, I'm a friendly guy but I've shut off visitor messages. Am I the only one who didn't even know this existed?

Keith