PDA

View Full Version : Trail Manor [vs Casita, Fun Finder, and others]

thebbqguy
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I have been looking at Casitas, Fun Finders and KZ Sportsmen Classics, but happened across the Trail Manor site. I looked at them and Hi Lo at an RV show a few years back, but they seem to have improved with many more options and fit and finish appears better.

I'm going to the 2011 Super Show at the Tampa Fairgrounds this weekend. I hope there are some Trail Manors there so my wife and I can compare it to the KZ Sportsmen Classics

Based on the websites, it seems like a clear cut choice, but there is no substitute for the up close and personal evaluation.

The 2720SL appears to fit the bill perfectly. Time will tell.

Scott O
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
As I understand it, HiLo has gone out of business. Keep us posted as to what you find and your opinions of the TM...

scrubjaysnest
01-11-2011, 05:38 AM
We looked at those you mentioned and the TM won out after spending 6 months in our 10 year old pop-up.
And yes a dealer in Helena MT was closing out their Hi Lo's and said they had gone out of business.

tgpmd1
01-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Our 2720SL is perfect for us. Let us know if you go with a TM. Happy shopping!

ng2951
01-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Personally, I think the 3124 is the best all around RV in the pop-up lines. The reason for that is that you have that extra storage under the king bed.

The only thing you have to be OK with is setting everything up and knocking everything down. You cannot just leave everything in the RV and go. Also the refers are smaller than the upright RVs...

knoxjere
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
That is my biggest complaint about the TM. I know there is not a good solution because of the nature of the TM, which is what we love about it! We are going to the Everglades for 13 days, our first boondocking adventure, so we will see how we do with the small refer!

thebbqguy
01-11-2011, 05:25 PM
That's a shame about Hi Lo. I know some loyal Hi Lo customers who will be bummed out to hear that. They've had three Hi Lo TTs through the years an swear by them.

I definitely lean toward Trail Manor, but cost is also a minor factor. I'm the kind of person that likes to buy new vs. used. If I'm spending my hard earned money I want the scratches and scrapes to be mine. I have a hard time buying other peoples scratches and scrapes. It drives my wife crazy, but I'm afraid it's starting to rub off on her too.

B_and_D
01-11-2011, 07:58 PM
There are good, clean used TM's out there. When we bought our 1997 in 2003, it looked almost like new. It looked like the owners had used it less than 10 times (if that). Sure there were a couple of dings/dents, but they're going to happen anyway. We bought our first new car, a Honda Accord, in 2001. The second day we had it we were driving under some eucalyptus trees and a nut fell on the hood, leaving a ding in the hood. So much for our brand new, immaculate car. It lasted two days :o.

thebbqguy
01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I'll look at a used one, but it needs to be the next best thing to new.

flashpoint
01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
35k for a new trailmanor.............no thanks........I picked up a one owner 94 that spent its entire life stored inside when not in use for $1500....same exact layout,same fridge, sink, toilet,table,shower ect ect.........figure I have $33,500 for upgrades.....Ill take the scatches and keep 30k in the bank!....my opinion.

scrubjaysnest
01-12-2011, 04:49 AM
I'll look at a used one, but it needs to be the next best thing to new.

Here is a link to JD sanders RV. This is the only TM dealer in Fl that I know of.
http://www.sandersrvs.com/pre_owned_list.asp?newused=B&category=&mfg=933&ModelYearFrom=&ModelYearThru=&stocknumber=&submit=Search

They have several new and used TM's. IMO they are a bit high. We bought our new '11 2720SL from TX RV for the same price as the 2009 used 2720SL that sanders has. We watched that one at sanders from about august of last year and they still have it. Several other forum members have bought TM's from Texas RV. Down side is they are 1100 miles from us.

You may want to look at this link for other thoughts on Texas RV: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10248&highlight=towing+buick

ng2951
01-12-2011, 07:23 AM
I agree buying used is a better way to go. We got our 3326 for less than half of new, complete with a ding or two. I think the first year we had it we put more miles on it than they did in 2 years.

If you are use to popups, I really recommend you look closely at the folding issues. That is singularly the biggest drag to having a TM. All the hardware works just fine with few issues. Its just that you need to think about when you are tired and you would just like to hookup and go and you cannot. You have got to get everything off the table tops and folded down before you can close the beast.

If you are OK with that, it is a nice rig especially used.

The other thing worth doing is looking at older used TMs. This will show you just how well they hold up.

PopBeavers
01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
If you are use to popups, I really recommend you look closely at the folding issues. That is singularly the biggest drag to having a TM. All the hardware works just fine with few issues. Its just that you need to think about when you are tired and you would just like to hookup and go and you cannot. You have got to get everything off the table tops and folded down before you can close the beast.

If you are OK with that, it is a nice rig especially used.

I spend more time backing and leveling my TM than I do popping it open, including setting up the closet, bathroom walls, and over sink cabinet.

And I am pretty good at backing. But I am very picky about being level.
You have to take stuff off of the table no matter what you do. I can't see any way to set a table for dinner and then drive down the freeway.

TM_Matt
01-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't discount any individual complaints or peeves as each person is different. We have a big trailer that can be made little to get into a garage, and can be pulled by much smaller vehicles than even a basic 18 foot full size TT - oh and the gas mileage - 21mpg average to and from Yellowstone for me (hand calculated). The whole design is a compromise. The fridge is a pain but it's ok for me - keep smaller amounts of perishables, rotate in the beer and coke, go to the sto' more. Setup - easy - unless it's raining! I would like higher storage - my biggest peeve. And the one storage that would be useful on the TV side on my unit is so narrow and far away to be of much use.

All the problems aside, I'll take them any day over having to pay for storage and having a rubber roof trailer outside to deteriorate constantly. But if I had storage where I could have a TT, I most likely would. Everything in its time.

Mr. Adventure
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Even a Class A motorhome has to be positioned, leveled, connected to the campsite utilities, and then set up inside and outside. The TM setup can't be more than 5 minutes more than that, and the TM has the advantage of staying set up when the tow vehicle drives off (yes, people tow cars behind motorhomes, but that business has it's own problems and perils as well). The TM is the best RV I have ever owned.

ng2951
01-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I understand not everyone has the same problems we do. We go to a lot of Cowboy Action Shooting matches and we have beaucoup equipment that has to be stowed in various hell holes plus positioning the SD camera gear cart, gun cart, and the dogs' kennel (the dacshund wants to dig out of the trailer).

The amazing thing is that we can stow all that, plus the Yamaha 2400, all of clothes and food AND STILL NOT NEED TO USE THE UNDER DINETTE STORAGE.

As far as leveling goes the 3326 has its issues. In order to get the door correct, the TM's rear must be pretty close to level with the front. I attribute that to the length of the 3326 chassis (26'). The rear, and in particular the driverside rear corner seems to like to hang the most. I think none of the other TMs have that issue, minor though it may be.

But I can tell you after several days of shootin' and carrousin' the pardette and I wish we could just leavin' the irons, leather, and such jest ware they wuz. Then we could hitch up the Tacoma Team and drag them to the ranch.

We kind of envy a couple of people who have small toy haulers who can do jest that...

PopBeavers
01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Leaving camp always takes longer than arriving.

We usually have 5 or 6 adults. DW and I sleep in the TM and everyone else has their tents.

We have nearly all of the "stuff".

Stuff comes out a little at a time as you need it. But, it has to go back all at once.

Some of us take a lot of stuff. I max out the TM almost to the weight limit, plus fill up two crew cab trucks. Not to mention an ATV trailer.

ThePair
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
We bought new, primarily because 2009.5 models came with 15" wheels and a few other new perks that weren't available prior, and I didn't want to mess with that kind of mod myself. That being said, we, too, tend to prefer new (dings are mine) mentality.

We've found the TM worth every cent, and then some. Storage would cost me >2k/year, probably more for covered near where I live, whereas I can stick my 2720SL in the garage. Open, there's more than enough space for me, the twins, and the canine, even on rainy days -- it always rains when we're camping, go figure!

There's no question teardown is a bit longer than setup, for the reasons mentioned above. That said, there are always ways to improve the process, and I continually work towards that goal. For us, the benefits of the TM more than outweigh any disadvantage -- without the TM I don't think we'd be able to camp at all.

So, whether new or used, I really don't think you can go wrong :)

Welcome to the family!

Factor
01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
We had a TM 3023, now have a Hi-Lo 2505C. In my opinion both are over priced. For $30,000 plus, you can get a super regular trailer. The gas issue is overrated as well.
Both are well built, but, my next trailer will be a Rockwood or a BT Cruiser.
John

Wavery
01-13-2011, 03:48 PM
We had a TM 3023, now have a Hi-Lo 2505C. In my opinion both are over priced. For $30,000 plus, you can get a super regular trailer. The gas issue is overrated as well.
Both are well built, but, my next trailer will be a Rockwood or a BT Cruiser.
John
I actually agree with you. However, we HAVE to have a trailer that fits in the garage. Pretty hard to do that with a full size trailer.

If I had to park my RV in a storage yard, I just wouldn't have an RV.

thebbqguy
01-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks for mentioning Rockwood and BT Cruiser. After looking at the brochures online, I think the Rockwood Mini Lite series and Gulf Stream Visa need to go on my shopping list.

PopBeavers
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I once went down a dirt trail looking for a place to boon dock, but it was a dead end.

I believe it was easier to make a u-turn with the low profile trailer because it allowed me to see some of the overhead branches. Any limb that the truck can drive under is a limb that the TM can go under.

Trust me on this one, making a 19 point u-turn with a trailer and a 22 foot truck in the dark with one assistant (daughter 29) with flashlight will test your towing skills.

I am also one of those that would have to pay for storage if it would not fit in the garage.

Between TM, HiLo, Casita, etc., the TM 2720 was the largest hard sided trailer with solid (not a curtain) bathroom walls that would fit in my garage. If it were not for the swing hitch I would have gotten the 2619.

thebbqguy
01-15-2011, 07:37 AM
moaboy,

You make a good point. When you factor in the total ownership costs (TV, gas, storage, etc), the TM catches up to some of the cheaper models pretty quick.