PDA

View Full Version : Drip coffe maker

Ntech
08-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Question--
Has anyone tried or talked to some one who has used the Coleman drip coffee maker that uses the gas burner on the stove? I'm still trying to get the hang of a perk coffee pot.

arknoah
08-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Wasn't there something written about that in Camping World last month?

DancinCampers
08-08-2003, 09:55 AM
There is an article here about this coffeemaker with a few reviews. HTH

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1458

RockyMtnRay
08-08-2003, 01:11 PM
I would have reservations about using this device on the TM's stove. As compared to a typical Coleman camp stove (which has a lot of open space between the burners), I would be concerned about the heat build up under this coffee maker scorching or otherwise damaging the top surface of the TM's stove between the burners This coffee maker's semi-enclosed heat box appears substantially larger than the burners on the TM stove. It's going to get mighty hot in there with a burner on high...much hotter than with an ordinary pan where excess heat can readily escape up around the pan.

MawCraig
08-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Way back when, we used a Melitta manual coffee maker. It works like a drip coffee maker, except you heat your water separately and manually pour it through the coffee-filled filter. Melitta's website shows several different sizes and styles, but I think we bought ours at WalMart or KMart. Made a pretty good cup of coffee.

arknoah
08-11-2003, 08:12 AM
I used to have a Chem-Ex coffee maker that was similar, and you didn't have to worry about having power.

Happytrails
08-11-2003, 05:09 PM
We have a regular 110V coffee maker for when we have shore power, and a 12v coffee maker for dry camping. Another possibility is instant coffee, just heat some water, add instant coffee. Lol, in the army, when we could have the time for hot coffee, us coffee drinkers amongst us carried a propane torch, placed it on the side aimed at our canteen cup, which would heat up the water quite nicely for the MRE instant coffee that we'd have in our accessory pack to make a quick and easy cup. Chuckle, in times we didn't have time or couldn't make for tactical reasons "hot" coffee, we'd drop the packet of instant on our toungues, then the sugar packet, then the creamer packet, take a swig from our cold canteens, swish it around a little bit, and swallow......lol, morning coffee! Not very pleasant, but at 5am, cold and wet, and still half asleep, with dirt in every part of your clothing, ya really didn't mind, and it did the job of waking ya up.......Lol, sorry a "fly on the wall's" view that the news won't give ya about one little small aspect concerning the soldiers moral over there.......... ;) I guess the point being, coffee can be had under just about ANY circumstance. I've camped with a simple pot with a steep chamber that you could put over just about any heat source and brew a pot while tent camping with real grounds from a simple pack kit.

Happytrails........

arknoah
08-12-2003, 07:42 AM
It just occured to me that a friend of ours got us using (for awhile) a Toddy coffee maker. To use this, you essentially make a concentrated coffee syrup by putting a pound of coffee in this large decanter with cold water and letting it steep overnight (this is obviously a better things to do at home before leaving). The following day, you remove the plug at the bottom of the filter container, and a very highly concentrated coffee flows into the glass decanter. All you have to do to make pretty good coffee is to heat some water and put about a 1/4 cup of this concentrate in a normal size coffee mug. Ellen used to comment that it took some of the bitterness out of the coffee too.

While we haven't used it for a number of years, I remember that it was easy to use, and when camping, you don't have to worry about plugging it in if you just want to use hot water from the stove or a fire.

efelker
08-12-2003, 09:05 AM
We plan to use the same Braun (4-cup) we use at home since most of the camping will be with elect hookup. It's compact and we use Melita coffee with un-bleached filters. Makes a really great cup of coffee.

My wife found a new coffee -- albeit it's not going to be available everywhere. She buys it at the IKEA store here in the DC area. It's Swedish and has a really great taste.

azroadrunner
08-12-2003, 09:07 AM
We too, have a Toddy, which we just got out since we were tent camping and wanted a good cup of coffee with little mess. It works great! Not sure what we will do when we take delivery of our TM.
Jim & Deanna

mjlaupp
08-12-2003, 09:22 AM
I don't drink much coffie now but when I do I use a Melitta one cup manual coffie maker. www.melitta.com/cgi-bin/SGSH0101.EXE?SKW=MACM&UID=!+USID! Makes a great single cup as needed.
MJL

P.S. I use a #4 filter instead of the #2 it calls for. Much less mess this way.

Eutychus
08-12-2003, 09:55 AM
My wife and I have always enjoyed the morning ritual of making coffee when camping. We get the best specialty coffee (www.peets.com) and use a press pot which you simply fill with the ground coffee and hot water from the tea pot and then press and pour after a few minutes.

08-12-2003, 04:46 PM
We use a good old Mr. Coffee and Folgers....nothing fancy.
Red

arknoah
08-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Mike L,

The one cup coffee makers are simple to use and give great coffee, but for a coffee hound like me, I prefer to brew a pot from the "git go."

mjlaupp
08-13-2003, 08:44 AM
F.J. and Elllen,

I used to be one of those coffee hounds, up to 3 pots a day. So I know how you are. I quit smoking and the caffeine sent me flying. I cut way back and even went to (shudder) unleaded. Now the Dr. wants me to eliminate all caffeine. :'(

MJL

2619PDX
08-13-2003, 06:40 PM
I don't drink a lot of coffee, but I've taken to using those Folgers Coffee Bags - kind of like tea bags.

They work great, and there's very little mess, and no extra appliance to haul around.

Gregg

Bruce
08-13-2003, 08:17 PM
We love a big mug of espresso in the morning. Kinda gets things moving. ;)
I purchased a large (makes about 2.5 TrailBlazer mugs) aluminum espresso stove top pot at the local Spanish market. I fill the coffee basket with Barnie's (a local specialty coffee shop like Starbucks) Espresso Roast which is just a tad milder than French Roast, put 'er on the burner and let the heat and pressure do their thing. Pour it in the mug, add some White Wave soy creamer (no trans fat) and that is one tasty cup of coffee.

Bruce