PDA

View Full Version : Good Sams Membership

Clwpaddler
12-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Hi all! was wondering if anyone is a member of the Good Sams Club. I want to investigate the RV insurance coverage vs my State Farm coverage. The cost according to the online quote from Good Sams is substantially less than State Farm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Woody

scrubjaysnest
12-01-2010, 07:00 AM
We have good sam for two reasons only
If we stop at a full hook-up private campground, rarely
Buy rv parts
We don't insure the TM, its covered by our auto insurance while towing and the home owners when at home. Don't see vandelism as a real issue while boondocking.

We have State Farm, no matter what we do it creeps up a dollar here and there. Also in Fl we get hit with the 1% hurricane fund.

Take a look at this thread http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78122#post78122

Bill
12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
We have Good Sam membership. We buy it for the campground discounts - there is usually (but not always) a Good Sam campground wherever we want to stop on our twice-a-year cross-country trips - and we buy it for the discount on the Big Book of Campgrounds. The savings probably pay for the membership fee, though I've never actually listed them out.

I used to buy the Road Service insurance, and one year I bought the mechanical breakdown (appliance) insurance. But the cost of both has gone up a lot, and with the company teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, I'm reluctant to sink a lot of money into them.

Just my 2 cents ...

Bill

Barb&Tim
12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I used to buy the Road Service insurance, and one year I bought the mechanical breakdown (appliance) insurance. But the cost of both has gone up a lot, and with the company teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, I'm reluctant to sink a lot of money into them.

Just my 2 cents ...

Bill

Wow :eek: . . . that is depressing to hear, we bought the Road Service Insurance this year.

Tim

Bill
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Tim -

That doesn't necessarily mean that your money is gone. It depends on how and if the company is reorganized, and whether it can find investment funding to allow it continue. But strange things happen in a bankruptcy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_Group_Inc.

Bill

YWORRYDOG
12-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I have a membership for the same reasons that Bill has. I had the RV road service until last Sept. They sent me a renewal with cards for someone else. I call and they said oops someone is in trouble, they will send new ones. I called a month later, on hold for 30 minutes and they could not figure out what my problem was, will call me back. I called again 2 weeks later same thing! Then I sent the renewal back with a written letter again saying I would love to renew if I only could get the cards that have my name and membership #. Nothing! As we were going on a trip, I went with AAA RV.

If I was sure that the person that I had the cards for was currant with there membership I guess that would have worked for less $$$ the AAA.

Clwpaddler
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds like I will stay with my good ole State Farm for now.

Woody

TravlinOn
12-16-2010, 08:59 AM
For any who are interested in but are worried if Good Sams's owner, Affinity, is.was going bankrupt, they have current news on their website at the link below. Currently, they are saying that in Nov, 2010, they sold some 6yr Notes. At least, I would say that the Org is hoping to continue in business for a while longer, and I wish them success.

http://www.affinitygroup.com/news/

ng2951
12-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Good Sam's was total waste of money and I have always gotten more form AAA. Their books are almost as lame as their website, and since AAA is FIRST CLASS, why pay twice for a service that is lacking?

We rarely stop in private parks and when we do we can usually swing a deal on our own. Its always easier to do that if there are other parks in the area. Some even have AAA rates, all the better.

If Sam's were more on par with AAA I might buy a membership. Until they are I will spend my money elsewhere...

kempert
12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I switched my RV insurance from GEICO to GMAC based on the good reviews that I'd gotten from Good Sam members. The RV insurance from GMAC cost me more than GEICO. After the big crash on 4-1-10, I regretted that change. GEICO was easy to work with on the damages (totaled) to my truck. GMAC was a different story. They declared my TM totaled and said it was only worth $6,000. I found out from Ed at TM that the estimate was based on the base price of the TM. When I faxed GMAC the original invoice showing $2,001 worth of add ons, the appraisal value didn't go up. I was told that if I could prove that several similar trailers had been sold for a high value they would re-evaluate my TM's worth. I tried internet searches but only found one which was not enough to satisfy them. Good Sam Club and GMAC are now in my dog house.

Bluegrass
12-16-2010, 06:12 PM
In some states, ordinary AAA membership also includes towing coverage for a trailer at no extra cost. Utah is one of them. California is not. We do buy a basic Good Sam membership for the same reasons Bill does.

radwhopper
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
We bought the Good Sams membership last year for the first time, but will probably not renew. There just aren't enough campgrounds around here that are affiliated with them.

cochise
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I had my Elkmont insured with GEICO in Arizona. It cost me $ 104.00 for comprehensive and collision for 6 months. I thought that was a very decent price. Than when I bought the new Lance trailer, I got a “free” 12 month membership from Good Sam. I am pestered with offers of insurance, extended warranties etc., all of which cost about 20% to 30% more than what I can get elsewhere. Camping world, owned and run by Good Sam sells merchandise for 10 to 15% more when it is on sale than you can get it elsewhere. I have blocked Good Sam from my email account, and the rest I just throw out. Since we use a lot of RV parks with full hook-up when out, (wife wants it that way), we have memberships in Camp Club USA and Passport America. We used to be members at Happy Campers, but their program has shrunk considerably, so we let that lapse.

For insurance I usually go on line once a year to get quotes, and if nothing better pops up I stay with the company I am currently with. But no Good Sam for me, “he’s” not very good.