PDA

View Full Version : Paying bills while on the road

modhatter
11-05-2010, 10:29 AM
For those of you making extended trips, I wondered how you handle paying your bills. Do you feel secure enough using a RV Parks public service or McDonald's, etc. to transmit your bills on line?

I only have a pre-paid cell phone, because I hardly ever use it unless I have to travel. I need my land line at home for business reasons, faxes and I don't want to have to remember to charge a phone up all the time.

I know I could set up automatic withdrawals for some bills, but not all, but I hate the idea of that anyway, especially with AT&T who love to mess with the bill every month it seems.

Having to spend an additional $50-$60 a month now just so I can pay my bills is not setting well with me. Do any of you do it from public wifi?

jhill30
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
There's an app for that..... :biggrinbo

Bill
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
We have had good luck simply pre-estimating the bill, and paying it in advance. This is most important for the big bills, of course, to keep the late fees down, so we intentionally overpay them by a bit. But it works with all bills. We have yet to find a biller that is unwilling to accept money in advance. Then, when we get back home, we let everything get back into sync.

This works for trips of a couple months. Of course, if you are going to be out for six months, this is less practical.

Bill

cochise
11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
All my credit cards are on auto pay. I get an email telling me that the invoice is available, and I can check it. Auto pay can also be set up for most other monthly payments, phone, utilities etc.

Besides that I keep all my passwords on a USB stick, and it is only used when I connect. So yes..I think it is reasonably safe, and like I said most can be on auto pay.

Joseph
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I use a laptop with a IPASS USB air card to access my accounts, pay bills, etc... This one comes with my work computer as I travel a bit and must be able to access corporate data while on customers sites. I am sure there are similar air cards that one could purchase.

Wavery
11-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Personally, I would write a check (you remember those things, don't you?) and mail it before I would access my bank account on an unsecured network (anywhere public).

I was out of the country for 14 years (pre-WWW.anything.com:p). I wrote checks, mailed them and never had an issue. Just allow enough lead time.

My brother got my mail for me and I called him once every week or two for updates on my mail. If I was going to be incommunicado for a month or more (out at sea), I just gave him permission to pay my bills for me. I had him set-up on my checking account.

brulaz
11-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Every bill we get is now sent to us via email. Or at least a notification is sent and then we go to the web site to view it.

Some trusted companies (like the power company) we allow to automatically withdraw from our bank account, but not many. All the others I pay electronically through my bank's web site (TD Canada Trust). It is very secure. I haven't written a cheque in years.

Of course you need web access for that. When traveling in the US, we use Verizon's Mifi router and our personal computer. When traveling in Canada, we use Rogers Rocket stick and our PC.

Would I use a public WiFi access site for accessing my email and bank's web page? I have, but I don't make a practice of it. I'm not sure what the dangers are.

Would I use a public computer for this? *NEVER*. Even if the it is a secure bank website, the computer could log your keystrokes and steal your passwords.

Bill
11-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Would I use a public WiFi access site for accessing my email and bank's web page? I have, but I don't make a practice of it. I'm not sure what the dangers are.

Would I use a public computer for this? *NEVER*. Even if the it is a secure bank website, the computer could log your keystrokes and steal your passwords.Joseph and Wayne -

I think this is the real issue. You can't even review your bill, let alone pay it, without logging on somehow. And if there is a password stealer in the neighborhood - either on your machine, or listening in on your computer's wireless conversation - well, you are up the creek. I don't know any way to handle this bill-paying operation in a secure way. Anyone? If you have to log on in some way to initiate a secure connection, then I think you are are insecure.

Bill

MisterP
11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
I know some have mentioned not wanting to spend money to pay bills, but I for one will pay for internet security. We had an ATT air card, and would not recommend it due to the overage cost.

But after doing a lot of research on secure internet, we bought a Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go device. We first bought the USB unit, but that only allows one laptop to be connected. We now have the MiFi unit which acts as a hotspot for up to 5 devices (laptop, my wife's Ipod, phone etc.)

Regardless, the cost is the same. $40 gives you unlimited use for one month. Or you can set it up as your primary internet source and pay $40 ongoing. It uses the Sprint 3G network and we have been very pleased with its connectivity. I even used it to update a friend's Wii unit at home before he got a wireless router set up.

I prefer this method to risking an open internet connection on a public Wifi. I have been hacked before, and eventually most everyone will.

brulaz
11-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I think this is the real issue. You can't even review your bill, let alone pay it, without logging on somehow. And if there is a password stealer in the neighborhood - either on your machine, or listening in on your computer's wireless conversation - well, you are up the creek

Secure web sites do use https when asking for your password. So there is some encryption going on that provides password protection over public Wifi. I'm just not sure how good it is. Or how much of a problem any exploits are in the real world.

A public computer though could have a keystroke logger tracking every keystroke of your password before it gets encrypted. Not good.

modhatter
11-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I looked into the Virgin Mobile To Go. Looks like the a really good solution. Every one is out of the Mifi 2200, so I will continue to check for availability.

brulaz
11-07-2010, 06:53 AM
How do people like the Virgin Mobile wireless coverage? We went with the Verizon mifi and had very good coverage from Seattle Wa to Michigan.

ShrimpBurrito
11-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Another option to consider is the USPS "Premium Forwarding Service". When you relocate, you issue a permanent forwarding order with the post office that not only forwards your mail, but also informs the senders of your mail that your address has changed. The PFS does not do that -- mail is forwarded to an address of your choice once a week, and I believe you can change that address periodically. There is a $15 enrollment fee, and then each weekly shipment is ~$14. I have never used it, but read about it last year on their website. You could simply have your mail forwarded to a campground, or maybe even to a post office in a town you will pass through and have the mail held there under general delivery. Then just pay your bills with a check and a stamp. Check out more info here:

http://www.usps.com/receive/premiumforwarding/welcome.htm?from=receiveyourmail&page=premiumforwarding

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={21e726e0-ea7e-11df-40ba-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c%7Bacb2ee70-13cb-11de-cccd-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=4963&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{eb1508d0-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&bcobjectId={ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=premium forwarding service&topicAndSubtopic=Business$ALL#three

Dave

LiveTicker
11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
A vote against USPS PFS...
I used the USPS Premium Forwarding Service for 3 winters and have had too many major problems with it every year.
This winter I am going back to normal forwarding.

When it works it's wonderful - everything is forwarded - magazines, junk mail, DoNotForward mail, etc.

When they screwup it is a major problem for me because it is SEVEN days of mail for TWO families (we are taking care of grandpa).
A few things they have done wrong
-- sent my mail to wrong person(I had to find her in FL, USPS did nothing)
-- ship any day of week they like(never know when to expect it)
-- hand written labels (easy to miscopy info)
-- include other folks mail in my package
-- "can't find my mail to ship" for 7-14 days -- missing mail
-- don't keep tracking codes
-- took 2-3 weeks to read letter to PostMaster to extend forwarding (and deposit check)
-- no one around to answer phone --30% chance of returning calls on their answering machine -- etc.

Yes venting feels good.

You would think the USPS would consider this a cash cow (since they will forward most stuff daily for free) and then do it right.

ALSO: You have mailbox services locally they might do a good job. Search "rv mail forwarding" for more. There are some national forwarders that I researched years ago that had great dependable services and happy customers. Some RV magazines have ads for them.

modhatter
11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
That's a viable solution ShrimpBaritto if your going to be staying in one place for a month or so, but when you want to skip across the country staying a few nights in one area and then on to the next, it wouldn't work out. I to read about that some time ago.

Actually, my son is on his way up to a Wall Mart about 45 minutes north of me to pick up one of the Virgin Mobile Mifi 2200 units. It seems to have mixed reviews, but generally complaints of it being very slow or no service at all (especially out in the Western States) is amongst the most common complaints and also the very short battery life.

One of the posters on here said they had one and it worked out pretty good for them. I would like to hear back from them as to what states they traveled through and where they had success and where they didn't.

Verizon is undoubtedly a far superior service, and you can buy prepaid cards for their service as well, but it is expensive.
Guess it depends how desperate you feel for service all the time. I figured with this one, I should be able to pick up signal at least while moving and going through big cities. We'll see. I'll let you know what my experience with it is after I use it. Won't be able to test it going cross country until April, but have some shorter trips planned. Stay tuned.♦

OneMoBear
11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
All of our bills are on autopay and have been for years with no problems . . .

Malinda

Joseph
11-07-2010, 03:25 PM
:new_EyecrJoseph and Wayne -

I think this is the real issue. You can't even review your bill, let alone pay it, without logging on somehow. And if there is a password stealer in the neighborhood - either on your machine, or listening in on your computer's wireless conversation - well, you are up the creek. I don't know any way to handle this bill-paying operation in a secure way. Anyone? If you have to log on in some way to initiate a secure connection, then I think you are are insecure.

Bill

Yes you are correct. Public wi-fi is not something I would use. The device I use connects my computer directly to the cell phone network. No wi-fi needed. So I assume it would be as safe as using your cell phone to access your account. Now that I think of it Bank of America has mobile banking via cell phone. I have used it a time or two with no problem. The device that I use ties into 3G, whatever that is, :D and the next ones out from corporate will probably use the newer 4G. I do not use public wi-fi unless I am going through the VPN secure connection on my laptop. I have no idea what all that is I just do what the I.T. folks tell me to do....:new_Eyecr

ShrimpBurrito
11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
LiveTicker - Good to know about your experience with PFS. It's sounds like a great service -- too bad execution is lacking.

I think pre-paying and using cell-based internet are excellent ways to pay bills during extended stays, and that's how I do it. But another way, kinda related to the PFS service, is to utilize the kind services of a trusted neighbor. Have them collect your mail and Fedex overnight it to you once or twice a month to a campground you're staying at.

To all those comments about using public computing resources for private financial data -- I'm not a professional computer expert, but I am a very savvy user. While I agree that using a public computer in a lab or library is not a good idea, I see no problem with using your personal computer on a public WiFi. From a privacy perspective while using a widely available fully updated web browser, there is little difference between that and your home broadband connection. If you take the same precautions using public wifi as you do at home, I don't see a problem. HTTPS uses 128-bit encryption, which I believe is what banks still use to transmit financial data between each other, so even in the unlikely event that someone in a 200-foot radius of you or the hotspot were to intercept your transmission, they would still have to decode the transmission to get access to your data.

Dave

MisterP
11-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Anyone needing mail forwarding should check Good Sam Club mail service. We have used it for about 3 years now and keep it active simply to have a PO box for some of our mail.

It costs $10 per month plus actual postage. I never get junk mail. You can change forwarding addresses on line or a quick phone call during office hours. They are used a lot by full time RVers because they will even handle vehicle registrations and give people a Florida address for residency with no income tax. They are located in Pensacola. They will hold mail up to six months if you are moving around. It's a great service for mail not time sensitive. My credit cards I pay online anyway.

You file a permanent forwarding order to the Post Office and you get a PMB or personal mailbox number.

Another option if anyone is interested.

greentrail
11-10-2010, 11:16 PM
If you would like to pay online from an unsecure wifi what you really want to have is a virtual private network (VPN) to your home computer. It allows encrypted communication between your mobile laptop and your home computer. So you securely link to your home computer and then you can handle your sensitive activities through your ethernet or encrypted home wifi. It would require you to leave your home computer on. For general info check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

and here is a link to a product which is free for personal use i found while searching, I have not used it myself however:

http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/vpn-access.php

good luck

brulaz
11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Apparently while many sites use HTTPS encryption to protect your login/password, they revert to un-encrypted http for cookie access and so forth. This can leave you exposed at public WiFi sites as described here: http://lwn.net/Articles/412163/

Hopefully bank sites don't do this, but who knows?

A good reason for avoiding public wifi.

greentrail
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Or an excellent reason to use VPN to create your own encryption independant of the source.

scrubjaysnest
11-13-2010, 06:10 PM
For those of you making extended trips, I wondered how you handle paying your bills. Do you feel secure enough using a RV Parks public service or McDonald's, etc. to transmit your bills on line?

I only have a pre-paid cell phone, because I hardly ever use it unless I have to travel. I need my land line at home for business reasons, faxes and I don't want to have to remember to charge a phone up all the time.

I know I could set up automatic withdrawals for some bills, but not all, but I hate the idea of that anyway, especially with AT&T who love to mess with the bill every month it seems.

Having to spend an additional $50-$60 a month now just so I can pay my bills is not setting well with me. Do any of you do it from public wifi?

We just got back from six months on the road almost all bills were direct including the att DSL at the fish camp no problems. The two credit cards we use were pulled up on line, reviewed and then a check was mailed when we received the bill in a in a prearranged mail drop.

CampAllDay
10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Secure web sites do use https when asking for your password. So there is some encryption going on that provides password protection over public Wifi. I'm just not sure how good it is. Or how much of a problem any exploits are in the real world.

A public computer though could have a keystroke logger tracking every keystroke of your password before it gets encrypted. Not good.

... and for that matter.... I've noticed that when I log-in and after I log-in to the trailmanor's Owner site, it is 'http' without the 's' for secure. Is the site secured? It does not seem to do 'server-to-client' authentication.

rumbleweed
10-09-2013, 05:33 PM
You need to re-size your avatar.

CampAllDay
10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Sorry -- I've deleted it, but it has not been reflected yet my posts.

Bill
10-10-2013, 09:32 AM
... I've noticed that when I log-in and after I log-in to the trailmanor's Owner site, it is 'http' without the 's' for secure. Is the site secured? It does not seem to do 'server-to-client' authentication.The TMO site is not a secure site, in the sense we are discussing. You should never disclose anything on this site that you consider sensitive, such as SSN, bank info, or the like. And the site will never request that you do so.

Bill

CampAllDay
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Bill. It makes sense that this site does not necessarily need to be secure given the forum's purpose. After all, this is not a bank :-). At the same time, the forum member profile setup page does seem to (optionally) ask for some sensitive data such as DOB and where the member works. Together with other data that may be available at a member's laptop/desktop,which may be harvested, identity theft is possible. And for the purpose of our discussions, DOB and 'where you work' is really not relevant. So maybe these profile options should be remove? At the minimum, there should be a cautionary note for this fields that the data is not secure. Many folks assume that just because they have to enter a username and password that the site is secure and therefore fill out DOB and other personal data. WDYT?