PDA

View Full Version : Grammatically correct?

larrylifelines
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
The name of this board is TrailManor Owner's Pages, implying that there is one TM owner. Shouldn't we be the TrailManor Owners' Pages? (I used to do a lot of copy-editing, and we have a knack for pissing people off with nit-picky suggestions like that.)

B_and_D
11-01-2010, 09:37 PM
The name of this board is TrailManor Owner's Pages, implying that there is one TM owner. Shouldn't we be the TrailManor Owners' Pages? (I used to do a lot of copy-editing, and we have a knack for pissing people off with nit-picky suggestions like that.)

If you were to look at the board as a collection of our individual pages (i.e., posts), would the title then be correct?

PopBeavers
11-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Perhaps

People that own a folding hard sided travel trailer or a standard upright light weight travel trailer from Trailmanor.

But that is a bit long.

:D

mcgyver210
11-02-2010, 02:43 PM
If we start worrying about Grammatically correct posting I will need to quit posting since I am terrible at grammar & having to have a thesaurus or what ever else would make posting more of a chore than fun.

PopBeavers
11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Someone should update the spelling checker to also perform grammar checking.

MS word can do this, but not necessarily very well.

The editor I use at the office will also report the necessary grade level of reading skills to read my writing. I target 12th grade for the technical stuff I write.

hhoenig
11-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Well, you have'nt lost your knack.

PopBeavers
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, you have'nt lost your knack.
But it is a mute point already.

I always thought amn't should be a word, since you can't use ain't.

I amn't going because I have to work late.

The technical writers around me tell me that they are instructed to never use contractions, because, though much of the world knows English, apparently they are not well versed in contractions.

Bluegrass
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
This is an error, up with which we should not put!

Keith

B_and_D
11-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Keith

So if you're saying that we should not put, would it be OK if we shotput?

My son was the shotput champion of SC County in his senior year, I couldn't resist.

larrylifelines
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM

Keith

An apt reference to Churchill's pithy putdown of the rule against ending a sentence with a preposition.

B_and_D
11-03-2010, 10:59 PM
It's fun having such a diverse membership; always something to learn from others.

We learn how to better use the English language, technical information, we share our trials and tribulations, and are such a great and friendly group of people.

If you've ever been to a TM rally you would know what I am talking about.