PDA

View Full Version : Clear Title

John D
10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi my name is John and I am considering the private purchase of a used Trailmanor. I’m not sure how to fine out if the title is clear. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

rumbleweed
10-03-2010, 07:12 AM
John

Please let us know what State the TM is currently titled in as the answer may depend on the state.

MisterP
10-03-2010, 07:26 AM
The easiest way to determine title status is to ask the seller to see their title. If it shows a lienholder then you have to negotiate with the seller on how to get it cleared.

RogerR
10-03-2010, 08:14 AM
A title that is not clear is one that is:

Still titled in a former owners name.

Has a lender listed on the title that has not signed a release.

Is held physically by the lender due to a loan.

Has more than one owner listed and the others have not signed the title. (deceased spouse, divorce, etc. )

A clear title is simply one that the owner can sign when you complete the transaction and can then be sent for the state for registration.

John D
10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I don’t know the state yet.

Bill
10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Some sates are non-title states, just to confuse the issue. You need to insist that your Bill of Sale, signed by the Seller, includes the phrase "There are no liens on this vehicle."

Bill

ShrimpBurrito
10-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Some sates are non-title states, just to confuse the issue. You need to insist that your Bill of Sale, signed by the Seller, includes the phrase "There are no liens on this vehicle."

Having this statement in the bill of sale is helpful, but ultimately, your only recourse is against the seller, who could have sailed off the horizon by the time a problem would arise. But my guess is that fraudulent title problems are extremely rare with trailers, and even with cars, so I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it.

Dave