PDA

View Full Version : Weight statement - I love this!

Bill
09-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I was paging through the RVTravel newsletter this morning, and came across this one-line announcement:

"Trailmanor has expanded its super-lightweight trailer line with the introduction of the Elkmont 22. Read more."

When I clicked on the link, it took me to RVNewsService.com, where TM's announcement said in part

"The Elkmont 22 has a base dry weight of just 2,348 pounds. With TrailManor’s Value Package plus awning, AC, alloy wheels, and electric tongue jack, the trailer is still a svelte 2,850 lbs."

Wow! This statement of both dry weight and optioned-up weight goes against the long-held tradition of RV manufacturers. We have discussed weight so much on this forum, especially the issue of dry weight vs ready-to-roll weight, that I like to think we had something to do with this development.

Thanks, TM!

Bill

countrygirl
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Now that's cool!

TexasCamper
09-04-2010, 10:05 AM
That's a refreshing find. Glad to see an advertised focus on the total weight.
-John

cochise
09-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I was paging through the RVTravel newsletter this morning, and came across this one-line announcement:

"Trailmanor has expanded its super-lightweight trailer line with the introduction of the Elkmont 22. Read more."

When I clicked on the link, it took me to RVNewsService.com, where TM's announcement said in part

"The Elkmont 22 has a base dry weight of just 2,348 pounds. With TrailManor’s Value Package plus awning, AC, alloy wheels, and electric tongue jack, the trailer is still a svelte 2,850 lbs."

Wow! This statement of both dry weight and optioned-up weight goes against the long-held tradition of RV manufacturers. We have discussed weight so much on this forum, especially the issue of dry weight vs ready-to-roll weight, that I like to think we had something to do with this development.

Thanks, TM!

Bill

OR.....perhaps it is a result of a complaint of "False and Deceptive Advertising" filed with the FTC AND the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)....with regards to advertised weight, as in the brochure for the Elkmont 24 that I received.

PopBeavers
09-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Using the "standard" weight of 1,000 pounds of stuff, that makes the total weight either 3348 or 3850 pounds.

That becomes interesting when the towing capacity of the TV is 3500 pounds.

Take less stuff than the "average" RVer.

Bigbit
09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
BTW, there's a new downloadable Elkmont brochure on the TM Upright site, which has a table of specs for the 26', 24' and 22' trailers. The table includes dry weight for both the base trailer package as well as a more normally equipped trailer with the Value Package, awning, etc. There's about a 500 lb. difference between the base models and a normally equipped one.

Go here: http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/elkmont/elkmont26.html and click on Download Elkmont 26 lierature.

cochise
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I think the question of towing is far more complex than people will admit…or know. There is a reason that vehicle manufacturers put a limit on tow capacity. And I would hate to have to explain to a Highway Patrol officer that it was OK for me to tow more than my vehicles listed capacity because it was doing just fine. Ever seen one of those cruisers with the scales on the road weighing a truck?

Nor would I want to explain to my insurance co., after I had an accident that it was quite OK to tow the way I did (more than rated capacity) because I was doing so just fine. So think about it!

There are so very valid reasons for limits and the like. If the TV manual says to inflate the tires to 35 PSI would you run them at 20 PSI because that seemed to be OK? I think not. Wight does drastically change the way a rig handles on the road.

robertkennel
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
When it comes to NON commercial vehicles, I think the highway patrol is more interested in moving violations(speed) than they are interested in weights. The fines for commercial overweight on the axles is high. Cars with trailers are not required to stop at weight stations is one example of how concerned they are over weight for us. If there is a major accident then weight would be examined. Robert

Joseph
09-08-2010, 06:36 AM

Thanks, TM!

Bill

More information is good. Thanks TM!!!!

voyager2
09-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I wonder if their listed weghts include two 20# gas bottles which add about 80 more pounds to the dry weight?

Bill
09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I am under the impression that anything that is listed as a standard item (not an option) is included in the dry weight. Since the bottles are a standard item, their weight - but not the weight of the propane itself - would be included in the dry weight.

Bill

Wavery
09-08-2010, 10:00 AM
I think the question of towing is far more complex than people will admit…or know. There is a reason that vehicle manufacturers put a limit on tow capacity.

The reason that manufacturers list weight capacities is because it is required by DOT. It also shields the manufacturers from people placing negligent warranty claims. It also shields them from legal action from people acting in an irresponsible manner and causing harm to others when those limits are exceeded.

And I would hate to have to explain to a Highway Patrol officer that it was OK for me to tow more than my vehicles listed capacity because it was doing just fine. Ever seen one of those cruisers with the scales on the road weighing a truck?

No law enforcement officer will pull over a vehicle, pulling a recreational vehicle, unless it is obvious that the rig is a hazard.

Nor would I want to explain to my insurance co., after I had an accident that it was quite OK to tow the way I did (more than rated capacity) because I was doing so just fine. So think about it!

There are so very valid reasons for limits and the like. If the TV manual says to inflate the tires to 35 PSI would you run them at 20 PSI because that seemed to be OK? I think not. Wight does drastically change the way a rig handles on the road.

The bigger issue is not explaining to the insurance company after an accident. The bigger issue is explaining to your family and the family of others after an accident where the driver lost control of an over-weight rig.

If there are injuries or death involved, there could be criminal and/or civil matters to deal with. My thinking is, if the vehicle has been proven to be over factory specs, your insurance company may not support you in either claim. It doesn't have to be an "Illegal" act for evidence of negligence to be used against the driver.

If someone were to injure my family because they lost control of an over-weight vehicle, I can guaranty you, I would sue that person for everything they were worth. I would also press the State Attorney General to file criminal negligence charges against the driver of any over-weight vehicle that lost control and caused injuries to me or my family.

The really big issue would be ........... living with yourself......:(

countrygirl
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I found a company that lists the length of the camper box itself as well as the tow length (the box plus the tongue). I like that.

cochise
09-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow…I am truly sorry if I struck a nerve here, and offended you. But I was unaware that I would have to explain the situation in detail, when calling out scenarios where there could be problems.

The reason that manufacturers list weight capacities is because it is required by DOT. It also shields the manufacturers from people placing negligent warranty claims. It also shields them from legal action from people acting in an irresponsible manner and causing harm to others when those limits are exceeded.

You are right in stating the reasons you do. All these parameters have been tested before the vehicle was released for sale, and for the reasons you state, so no problem there. Although people DO place warranty claims against manufacturers AND sometimes they win.

No law enforcement officer will pull over a vehicle, pulling a recreational vehicle, unless it is obvious that the rig is a hazard.

True! ..BUT if the officer has some other legal reason for doing so, like exceeding the speed limit or improper lane change or staying in the fast lane or a burnt-out light bulb he/she will do it. So yes it can very well happen. So dream on.

The bigger issue is not explaining to the insurance company after an accident. The bigger issue is explaining to your family and the family of others after an accident where the driver lost control of an over-weight rig.

If there are injuries or death involved, there could be criminal and/or civil matters to deal with. My thinking is, if the vehicle has been proven to be over factory specs, your insurance company may not support you in either claim. It doesn't have to be an "Illegal" act for evidence of negligence to be used against the driver.

If someone were to injure my family because they lost control of an over-weight vehicle, I can guaranty you, I would sue that person for everything they were worth. I would also press the State Attorney General to file criminal negligence charges against the driver of any over-weight vehicle that lost control and caused injuries to me or my family.

The really big issue would be ........... living with yourself......:(

Insurance case law shows that IF a person caries liability, as stipulated by law, the insurance company will indemnify the wronged party up to the limit of coverage, BUT the defendant may not be covered under his/her collision policy if there is proof that mis-use, (too heavy trailer, too small TV, etc,). Could be/is the cause of the accident, so you are on your own.

And not all accidents or incidents involve other motorists.

Again I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but the real world is a lot different than the one in the forum.

Wavery
09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow…I am truly sorry if I struck a nerve here, and offended you. But I was unaware that I would have to explain the situation in detail, when calling out scenarios where there could be problems.

Insurance case law shows that IF a person caries liability, as stipulated by law, the insurance company will indemnify the wronged party up to the limit of coverage, BUT the defendant may not be covered under his/her collision policy if there is proof that mis-use, (too heavy trailer, too small TV, etc,). Could be/is the cause of the accident, so you are on your own.

And not all accidents or incidents involve other motorists.

Again I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but the real world is a lot different than the one in the forum.

Didn't strike a nerve at all.....I was agreeing with you......:new_Eyecr.......for the most part.....