PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty for trailmanors

lbadgette
09-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone knows or can recommend a good extended warranty company for trailmanors. I have a 2007 2720SL and Good Sam Club quoted me $218.00 per year with a $200.00 deductible. I was wondering if that is a good buy as well.

Thanks,

Len

grill-n-go
09-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Wading into the i'm clueless zone...

My guess is that those things are meant for class A's or more sophisticated RV's. That guess is based on the guess that the warranty does not cover anything that is subject to wear and tear. What does that leave? A leak? In seven years of ownership the only thing that failed outright was the pump, about 4 years ago. It cost me about $150 to have someone else do work (parts and labor). Yes i had a leak which I caulked, batteries, tires, grease gun, hmm oh I cut a gash on my roof ... forget that ... No warranty of anykind covers .... "dumb!!"... and I fixed that with mightyputty... (bless Billy Mays) and white appliance paint. I would take the $218 and put them in a savings account and draw from it everytime you have to pay someone to fix something that would have been covered by the warranty... forgive me... I just don't believe in those things. Then again... I did manage to cut a hole in my roof.. Oh did I mention the time my TM took off down my drive away all by itself... It's a good thing I can still run...

ShrimpBurrito
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Oh did I mention the time my TM took off down my drive away all by itself... It's a good thing I can still run...

While I don't want to hijack this thread, perhaps we can divert for a post and hear about this story. :D

Dave

Bill
09-02-2010, 07:19 PM
perhaps we can divert for a post and hear about this story.I'd like to hear it too!

Actually, this topic has come up a number of times. Try the Search tool on something like "warranty". You'll uncover a lot of discussion - but not much enthusiasm.

Bill

09-03-2010, 07:02 AM
We have insurance through Gilbert RV Insurance. It covers quite a bit as far as roadside assistance and accidental damage.

grill-n-go
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
While I don't want to hijack this thread, perhaps we can divert for a post and hear about this story. :D

Dave
When taking the TM out of our garage I normally back up my TV close the TM and then hitch up by pulling and pushing the TM into place. During an extended power outage this past winter I decided to take our Mister Heater out of the TM because it was getting really Florida cold and we were desperate. Remembering how easy it is to move the TM without having to hitch up I decided a TV was not necessary to get the TM out of the garage. What I neglected to consider is that our driveway gets progressively steeper the closer you get to the street and normaly I only push it out about a foot before I hitch up. On this fine pitch black evening, about 1/3 of the way out of the garage gravity started to take over. Being the quick thinker that I am, for about a second I thought I could stop it. Maybe it was less than a second ... i then did the quickest turn around and run I've ever done, fast enough to watch the TM lumber out into the street. Good thing our house sits at the top of a T intersection so it had plenty of running room. It's too bad it was so dark out, otherwise my neighbors might have caught a glimpse of my brilliance. By the time I was all hitched up and getting the TM back into the garage... the lights came on. "A Man's got to know his limitations"

ShrimpBurrito
09-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Haha....that is a good story, especially since no one got hurt and nothing got damaged. That's probably the best MPG you ever had moving the trailer!

Dave

countrygirl
09-05-2010, 07:02 PM
haha....that is a good story, especially since no one got hurt and nothing got damaged. That's probably the best mpg you ever had moving the trailer!

Dave

rofl!

Wavery
09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
While I was waiting in the dentist office the other day, I read an article about aftermarket warranties'. The article stated that only 12% of the the average warrantie's cost was paid out in actual repairs. 88% of the $ that is paid for the policy goes toward, marketing, commissions and administrative costs.

ShrimpBurrito
09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Over the course of 3-4 years of TM ownership, I have incurred numerous repairs in the $0-$200 range. In fact, other than tires and batteries, which presumably wouldn't be covered under warranty, I can't think of any over $200. Upgrades, yes, but repairs, I don't think so.

I would follow grill-n-go's advice. If you save an amount equal to your deductible for 5 years, you will have saved $1,000. And 5 years of premiums is roughly $1,100. All told you will have $2,100 saved, which you would have paid out to the warranty before any benefits were paid. That's alot.

I bet if you took a poll, you'd find most owners having $2,100 in repairs less than even every 5 years......

Dave