PDA

View Full Version : Are you trying to decide whether to get a solar panel??

Sierra Shadow
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
If you are thinking about buying a Trailmanor and wondering whether you should get a solar panel, we can't live without it! We do a lot of boondocking so it really comes in handy. Even with 2 Honda EU generators, it is a must. This way we have our batteries charging the minute the sun comes up with no effort.

Wavery
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
If you are thinking about buying a Trailmanor and wondering whether you should get a solar panel, we can't live without it! We do a lot of boondocking so it really comes in handy. Even with 2 Honda EU generators, it is a must. This way we have our batteries charging the minute the sun comes up with no effort.

Several of us do have solar. However, solar can easily be added for a lot less than TM charges.

I put 2, 80W panels on my TM for under $500. Of course, I provided the labor but it really isn't that hard and I think even a Solar installer may be less expensive than TMs price.

Sierra Shadow
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Very good point. I would like to know if your setup may be even better than mine. We have a shell on the back of our Tundra and I would like to install a solar system in it.

Wavery
06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Very good point. I would like to know if your setup may be even better than mine. We have a shell on the back of our Tundra and I would like to install a solar system in it.

160W is a pretty sizable system for a vehicle.

Here's the thread describing the system that I have:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9845

There are a lot of posts in here from others as well:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

scrubjaysnest
01-01-2011, 03:42 PM
For us, after a lot of study on the subject, solar has been moved to the back burner.
This is what stopped the project for now.

1. Over 90% of our dry or boon dock camping is in shade. The best figures are
Total solar array watts X 52% for 4 to 4 1/2 hours full sun = best case watts. Out west this probably isn't a problem, on the east coast it will be unless your at the beach. Making the system portable would allow chasing the sun around but brings up security issues and increases set up time.

2.Cost for us more then doubled when we ran into shipping issues, down side of living where it takes a 4X4 to get to the house.

For now we will improve the charging system between TV and TM and continue to swap batteries as needed. The genset will stay home unless I can get a muffler big enough so I can't hear it from 1 foot away!

We will revisit this from time to time.

tgpmd1
01-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Most every campsite out here is pretty well shaded. So dh has determined that solar is not for us right now. We don't go out west very often, so most likely not worth it for now. We'll see how many times we boon dock this year and revisit another time. I've been enjoying seeing what everyone else does and may consider at some point. We've only the TM out three times since we purchased this last summer.

My son thinks I should make it my office during summer camp. If so, I may need to run a generator.