PDA

View Full Version : Cover for 2720SL

lbadgette
05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Greetings all,

After a long search online I just wanted to let you all know I got a really good cover for my 2720SL. Since I live in Las Vegas I needed a cover with a lot of UV protection so I got this Tyvek cover from Camping World and it fits really good. Lets see how it holds up in the extreem heat of Southern Nevada. Here is the link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tyvek-cover-for-pop-ups-161-18/49135

HIKERZ
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
i too am looking for a cover for a 2720 w/ac does this one fit for storing up or down?? tks

lbadgette
07-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes the cover works fine for storage, mine has AC too.

HIKERZ
07-27-2010, 05:59 AM
thanks again i was just not sure about the 18ft length

jhill30
07-27-2010, 08:38 AM
I need something for moist, humid climates that can hold up to wind too.
I have a (whats left of) adco cover, that is basically worthless at this point.
It lasted maybe 1 season. I guess if I want it covered I will just have to build a garage for it. Any other suggestions.

ShrimpBurrito
07-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I need something for moist, humid climates that can hold up to wind too.

I have heard that Sunbrella is really the ultimate material for this sort of thing. Very UV resistant as well. I don't have any direct experience with it other than as a bimini top for a small boat, but it has held up extremely well in that application. It's been in service for over 20 years, but the boat is in the garage when not in use.

I have read good things about these folks (but haven't used them):
http://calmarkcovers.com/

They make Sunbrella covers, and they are made domestically.

Dave

jhill30
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Dave

Anyone have one of these that can vouch for their durability. I think my biggest problem with the adco has been it tearing at the corners and any other points that stick out from the main body. Also, the adco allows water to pass through, that is fine in the summer months when it can dry out, but during the winter months, it has a hard time drying, and that causes problems.

HIKERZ
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
i am in florida and water (lots of it) with max sun is a problem too

Bill
07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I have a (whats left of) adco cover, that is basically worthless at this point. It lasted maybe 1 season.Wow! What happened to your ADCO? What material did you buy? I seem to recall that they have three. I don't think any cover will stand up to abrasions on sharp corners, especially if it is oversized and floppy, or poorly tied down so the wind can worry at it. But other than that, mine has been great. Inland Maine is often humid and sunny in the summer, but nothing like MS, I suppose.

Bill

jhill30
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow! What happened to your ADCO? What material did you buy? I seem to recall that they have three. I don't think any cover will stand up to abrasions on sharp corners, especially if it is oversized and floppy, or poorly tied down so the wind can worry at it. But other than that, mine has been great. Inland Maine is often humid and sunny in the summer, but nothing like MS, I suppose.

Bill

I have the adco 12295. I believe it is the same one you have. All I can tell you is I tied it down at all points and wrapped the baggy ends down and around as best as I could. Where I store the TM, it gets very little sunlight during the winter, so that is partly the problem. I am not saying that ADCO is not a good cover, it is just that it didn't hold up well in my situation. Once the fabric tears and the wind gets under it, it is all over. Every place that sticks out from the TM has massive holes in it. One side has about a 4 foot rip. The only thing I can think of that I could have done differently is take the cover off every time we have a storm. Who wants to do that? Right now, it is just sitting out in the elements. I can tell you, that is not good for a camper.

Bill
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Yup, that's the one I have. And mine did accumulate some holes over the course of 3 or 4 years, but nothing like you describe. I can tell you that the tough spots for causing wear are the TV antenna on the roof, and the sharp (!) corners and edges associated with the swing tongue. As I recall, the other areas that I worried about - the airco and the roof vents - were not a problem. Oh, the license plate and its holder have some sharp edges. But I cinched up the 3 underbody straps really well. And I ran a continuous length of rope around the bottom of the cover through the grommets, taking a turn through the lift bars and the foot stirrups to help hold it down, and it seemed to do pretty well. I'm sorry to hear it didn't do as well for you.

I think it was B_and_D that experimented with padding, and found some good solutions. One way or another, padding is needed at the sharp points. If I get another one, I will pay MUCH more attention to padding. No fabric can stand up to those sharp edges and knife points.

Bill

jhill30
07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
I would have been happy with 3 to 4 years. I think I have had it about a year now, but have not had it covered since January due to all of this.

tgpmd1
07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
So even though it says to 18", still fits? Interesting. I need to buy a cover for my new-to-me 2720SL.

Theresa

rumbleweed
07-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I use scrap bubble wrap ( big bubbles quarter size work best) on my antenna and on corners. Light inexpensive and waterproof. Also make sure the four corner hold down latches are latched or they will tear the bottom of the cover.

Bill
07-29-2010, 06:48 AM
People tell me it is pretty geeky, but start here.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3400

Bill

Bill
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
I can tell you that the tough spots for causing wear are the TV antenna on the roof, and the sharp (!) corners and edges associated with the swing tongue. As I recall, the other areas that I worried about - the airco and the roof vents - were not a problem. Oh, the license plate and its holder have some sharp edges.It occurred to me later that if you have solar panels on the roof, they will have sharp edges, too.

Bill

ShrimpBurrito
09-29-2010, 06:00 PM

They make Sunbrella covers, and they are made domestically.

One thing that is cool about this company is that they can sew in clear plastic panels in the roof to allow sun to shine on roof-mounted solar panels. Cover your TM and keep your batteries charged at the same time. A nice idea, although I wonder what kind of plastic it is that would prevent cracking or discoloring.

http://www.calmarkcovers.com/solarpanelkit.html

Dave

porscha356
05-31-2018, 04:24 PM
This is an update for those of you considering a cover for your TM.

I have a lot of experience with car covers as I am a car guy with a history of fun cars going under wraps in my garage and the open parking lot at SFO airport. I'm sure it transfers over to RV storage........

First, it pays to get a custom cover. Second, ya gets what ya pays for. If you buy an inexpensive bag type fit, that's what you get.... a cheap, flappy bag type fit.

Calmark Cover Co. offers a custom fit with allowances for a/c and antennas built into the cover. They ask for photos of your rig and plenty of input from you. Cost estimate for a 2720 was around $560 with a 6 year warranty. Speak with Deanna, 1-800 838 7236.

I would imagine it would last longer if it was out of the sun. Sun kills cars and car covers are the sacrificial lamb.