PDA

View Full Version : generator/TM plug adapter

flakeyone
05-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Headed to Yellowstone from Atlanta June 3rd for 2 weeks and no camp sites have AC but I am reserved in one at Fishing Bridge on the N. shore of Yellowstone Lake that allows generators from 8am to 8pm.
I looked at my female plug on my generator and it has four 45 degree female slots, nothing close to the male TM AC plug. Is the adapter I need hard to find?
A picture of what it looks like would also help I guess. Post reply and PM me please.
Thanks

Wavery
05-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Headed to Yellowstone from Atlanta June 3rd for 2 weeks and no camp sites have AC but I am reserved in one at Fishing Bridge on the N. shore of Yellowstone Lake that allows generators from 8am to 8pm.
I looked at my female plug on my generator and it has four 45 degree female slots, nothing close to the male TM AC plug. Is the adapter I need hard to find?
A picture of what it looks like would also help I guess. Post reply and PM me please.
Thanks

What kind of generator do you have???? Is it one of those great big noisy ones? If it is, you're not going to be very popular there.

That sounds like it might be a 240V outlet.

flakeyone
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Powermate Model PM 043 5000w
120v./240v.female 20amp. receptical. Itis a twist lock recepticle with four 45 degree slots. I have to locate an adapter to TM A/C male plug. http://www.powermate.com/generators/product_detail.php?model=PM0435005

Not too noisy but not as quiet as a Honda 3000 I saw last week. Everyone else in the camp will be using a generator off and on from 8am till 8pm curfew, so shouldn't upset anyone. No A/C hookups in any campground in Yellowstone NP.

rumbleweed
05-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Before you carry it to a National park, you might check with them. From the info I could find, it has no certifications. Park approved generators usually carry Forest service approval which covers spark arrest muffler as well as noise.

flakeyone
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Just spoke to techy at Powermate about my PM 5000 generator.It is 75decibels at 50% power at 21 feet.

Then I called National Park Service at Yellowstone NP and "the only generator requirement they officially have for an RV campground is noise and like the decibels to be around 60db.or less. Spark issues are for more remote spots near foilage. There is no Forest Service approvals/ certifications etc....or other issues."

So a 3000-3500 watt generator would be about 60db.

Digger
05-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I’m a little confused here. Is that the only receptacle on your generator. The receptacle you are describing sounds like a 220V/20 AMP receptacle and that is NOT what you would want to connect to your TM. In the picture it looks like the generator has four 15/20 AMP 110V three prong outlets like the ones in your home. That is where you plug the TM into and the type adapter you need, they are very common and can be found in any store that carries RV supplies.

Ed

Wavery
05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Just spoke to techy at Powermate about my PM 5000 generator.It is 75decibels at 50% power at 21 feet.

Then I called National Park Service at Yellowstone NP and "the only generator requirement they officially have for an RV campground is noise and like the decibels to be around 60db.or less. Spark issues are for more remote spots near foilage. There is no Forest Service approvals/ certifications etc....or other issues."

So a 3000-3500 watt generator would be about 60db.

I am very familiar with that with the PowerMate 5000. It is a construction site generator. If you use that in a CG you will make unfriendly neighbors :new_cussi.......trust me on that one.:cool:

flakeyone
05-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Digger:

Thanks for the heads up, I was headed in the wrong direction. I will get an adapter to use in one of the 4 household looking recepticle. Matter of fact I may have one in my shop already.

HarveyRV:
Yes my generator is 75 db. not < 60 db. I'll either make a cover to reduce db. or borrow/rent a smaller unit.

Wavery
05-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Digger:

Thanks for the heads up, I was headed in the wrong direction. I will get an adapter to use in one of the 4 household looking recepticle. Matter of fact I may have one in my shop already.

HarveyRV:
Yes my generator is 75 db. not < 60 db. I'll either make a cover to reduce db. or borrow/rent a smaller unit.

If you have a shell on the back of your truck, there is a way to run the generator inside the closed shell to reduce the noise. I do that with my Honda EU2000i (quiet) generator. You can't hear it at all. I could run it in the middle of the night and you can't hear it from 20' away.

It wouldn't work that well with the PM5000 but it may make it tolerable.

Heck, if you lived in my area, I would lend you my Honda. I only use it if it is going to be a hot camp-out that might require AC. My solar panels take care of all my other needs quite nicely.

flakeyone
05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes, I am carrying it inside my truck bed cover. I'll just run it in there and leave the tailgate down for exhaust. Thanks

Wavery
05-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, I am carrying it inside my truck bed cover. I'll just run it in there and leave the tailgate down for exhaust. Thanks

My system was a little more complicated than that.

I had sliding windows on the sides of my camper shell. I put a fan in one window to force the fresh air into the shell and opened the window on the other side for the hot air to exhaust. I made a sound proof cover that I put in both windows, with the opening facing the ground.

If you are talking about putting the generator under a tonneau cover or something, you may want to consider the heat build-up that could damage that cover.

You may be better off to build a sort of sound-proof "Dog House" for the generator. I have seen those work pretty well. It would need to have a good fan driven ventilation system.

flakeyone
05-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Good news. I found a friend that is loaning me his smaller Coleman 3000kw that is 98lbs. and fits in my truck bed with lid down to transport and has less db. than my 5000kw.
Hey, I have never used my hot water heater. I will have a direct hook-up to a water line, so when I turn it on does it automatically fill the 6 gallon hot water heater? I'm gun shy about lighting the heater with no water inside.
I also bought an inline water filter to use.

MisterP
05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Good news. I found a friend that is loaning me his smaller Coleman 3000kw that is 98lbs. and fits in my truck bed with lid down to transport and has less db. than my 5000kw.
Hey, I have never used my hot water heater. I will have a direct hook-up to a water line, so when I turn it on does it automatically fill the 6 gallon hot water heater? I'm gun shy about lighting the heater with no water inside.
I also bought an inline water filter to use.

You will want to vent your water lines to eliminate air before turning on the water heater. I normally will assume the WH is full when the hot at the kitchen sink vents all the air out. You might get a bit of air elsewhere initially but that should not affect the heater.

flakeyone
05-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I'll make sure all the coughing and sputtering ends and water coming out all sources before firing up the water heater.

Headed to Yellowstone June 2 arrive June 5 and will need to use shower and wash dishes etc...

Will have water and waste line only, no A/C just the generator 8 am to 8 pm
Temp. there still cool. This will probably be the first time I use all the acessories. Stove top, microwave, gas heat, refrierator, shower, sinks etc...
Checking all systems tomorrow, topping of gas bottles, checking battery, air in spare, tools, etc...

Al-n-Sue
05-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Glenn - I'll be heading to Yellowstone in Sept and staying in Fishing Bridge. I'm borrowing a friend's Honda 2000 to take with me. I'll be very interested in your experience there and what kind of power usage you experience. Please post a trip report when you return and let us know how your trip went.

Alan

flakeyone
05-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Will do. I guess you saw I am also staying at Fishing Bridge.
I bet we don't run the generator except for breakfast and dinner for microwave. Probably just use the battery for the few hours of light we need before bed time. Don't thnk I will need to run for air conditioning.
Easiest way for me not to forget to post a report is to send me an e-mail now and I'll save it to give you PM along with my post on the forum.
Wish i was 600 miles away instead of 1900!
Glenn

[email protected]

flakeyone
05-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Good news. I borrowed a 3000kw. generator so won't be taking my 5000kw.
that is 75db. Also found a 30 amp to generator adapter. Headed out Wednesday 1900 miles to Yellowstone.

flakeyone
06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Change of plans...... weather in Yellowstone cold, wet and snow. Lows 30's and highs 40's at 8,000 ft. camp site. Poor conditions to fly fish etc....
Changed reservation in same camp site etc.... to July 14-21. Surely the sun will show up by then. :confused: All packed so will go to N. Georgia Smokey Mnt. National Park for a few days this week. 2+ hour ride sounds better than 30 hrs. anyway :)