PDA

View Full Version : TrailManor- total cost of ownership?

desertdiva
04-23-2010, 10:52 AM
We are getting ready to purchase our first TrailManor (yahooo!) I am interested in knowing what 'extras' most people end up investing in right after the initial purchase. ie: I assume we will need a storage cover. What about stabilizer jacks? What other expenses should we build in to the estimate of our initial investment?

Much thanks in advance....

PopBeavers
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
The big one was the Honda 2000 generator. We never have power in camp.

Next big one was the Travasaks for sleeping. I hear they are out of business.

We bought a new set of pots and pans at Wallmart.

Most of the other stuff is modest.

Except we eventually bought a bigger truck, an ATV trailer, two ATVs and two motorcycles.

We do not have a cover. We park in in the garage at home.

Bluegrass
04-23-2010, 11:53 AM
We are getting ready to purchase our first TrailManor (yahooo!) I am interested in knowing what 'extras' most people end up investing in right after the initial purchase. ie: I assume we will need a storage cover. What about stabilizer jacks? What other expenses should we build in to the estimate of our initial investment?

Much thanks in advance....

Stabilizer jacks come on your TM.

As for the rest, a lot will depend on the type of camping you do and your preferences for "creature comforts." Here's our list of "immediate" things we got:

an outdoor carpet,
folding chairs,
carpet runners for interior,
small LCD TV,
coax for cable hookup,
hoses for fresh water
hose & connectors for dumping holding tank,
15 amp to 30 amp conversion plug,
wheel chocks
set of Lynx Levelers
Jack
Screwdriver with a square head (you'll want a tool kit but wanted to call this item out)
small electric heater
sheets, blankets & towels
Pots, pans, dishes, utensils, etc.

If you do dry camping, you may want to buy a generator.
Like Wayne, we store our TM in the garage so we don't need a cover.

We had a boat prior to buying our TM, so we had a lot of this stuff already.

I'm sure others will add to the list.

Bill
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
In addition to the above, there are good lists posted in the Trail Manor Technical Reference Library (actually called TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else). Look for posts by Ed Felker, and by Mike&Kelly.

Bill

MariaG
04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
As soon as we set up the TM the first time, I put a pad of paper and pen on the counter and just started writing down what we needed as it occurred to me. I would have forgotten most things if the list wasn't handy. We printed off the lists Bill references in his post. Don't forget basics like flashlights - we set up after dark sometimes. MOST helpful item - a membership to this forum. When your trial runs out, you lose access to a lot of the information here. Well worth the $12 a year. Enjoy your new TM!

OneMoBear
04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd hate to guess how much additional money the brilliant ideas we have found here have cost us. :rolleyes:

Malinda

grakin
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Some other things I've bought...

- Insurance
- Storage Rent (if you can't put it in your driveway)
- Campground/State Park memberships
- Toilet chemicals
- Space heater (to supplement the furnace in winter)

For pots, pans, bedding, etc, I'd recommend a good thrift store - I don't care that my camper pots and pans all match!

ShrimpBurrito
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
If you are buying a used TM that is more than 3-4 years old, plan on replacing the tires ($350 for 3 tires) and battery ($75-$150/battery depending on size/type), and getting the wheel bearings inspected and repacked ($150?), and replaced if necessary.

Dave

M&M Hokie
04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I bought a TM in July of last year. The big ticket items since then have been the Xantrex LinkLite ($200-250, don't quite remember), a Yamaha Generator (in the 1000 ballpark, don't quite remember, but my Xantrex keeps me from ever needing to use it). I am now about to get Tundra to use as a tow vehicle. I think buying a TM is the best 60K I ever spent.

If I am not careful, this might start to get expensive.

Redhawk
04-24-2010, 09:25 AM
We added a small grill for cooking outdoors, and make sure you have all the electrical adapters for connecting 30A / 50A service and so on.

Get the required stuff first and add the luxury items as you go....