PDA

View Full Version : batery box on the tongue?

Tone,JaM
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Are battery boxes required on the tongue carrier? We would like to go from two group 27 batteries to three group 24, but fitting the boxes in the tray is a bit of a puzzle. The batteries fit easily without the boxes. Is it legal/safe to strap the batteries directly to the tray?

Thanks for all of the great info on this forum!

ShrimpBurrito
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't. All it would take is a stray rock flying up from your TV and it could crack the battery case. Then you might have battery acid flying all over the place...the TM, vehicles behind you, etc., not to mention a dead battery. A box prevents that from happening.

Get a box that holds all the batteries instead of 3 separate boxes. That will cut way down on space.

Why do you want to go to 3 group 24 batteries anyway?

Dave

Wavery
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't. All it would take is a stray rock flying up from your TV and it could crack the battery case. Then you might have battery acid flying all over the place...the TM, vehicles behind you, etc., not to mention a dead battery. A box prevents that from happening.

Get a box that holds all the batteries instead of 3 separate boxes. That will cut way down on space.

Why do you want to go to 3 group 24 batteries anyway?

Dave

I agree with ShrimpBurrito. You may well do better to go with 2, 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries (like Trojan T105s). They are a little pricey but you may get better performance out of them then 3, 24s.

Group 24 12V are usually about 75AH batteries. 3 of them would give you 225AH. 2 of the Trojan T105s would give you 225AH and probably better quality than most 12V batteries.

The T105s would be a lot easier to mount, wire and maintain. I can't even imagine checking the water on 18 cells, what a PITA. The 2, 6V have a total of 6 cells to service.

PopBeavers
04-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I have considered switching over to T105s, but they will not fit on my 2720 with the swing tongue.

The battery boxes are part ways under the bottom lip of the front shell.

I will switch from dual 24s to dual 27s when these fail.

Anything taller than the 24/27 will not fit for me.

Wavery
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I have considered switching over to T105s, but they will not fit on my 2720 with the swing tongue.

The battery boxes are part ways under the bottom lip of the front shell.

I will switch from dual 24s to dual 27s when these fail.

Anything taller than the 24/27 will not fit for me.

Bummer dude...........:cool:

Any chance of lowering the battery support? I've never looked at the battery support on swing hitch.

PopBeavers
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
It is so low now, that I once scraped the angle iron on the ground while exiting a driveway onto the street from a parking lot. It is about as low as it can go.

My group 24s are Interstate RV/Marine. I think there are some 27s that are more of a deep cycle battery than that. Not sure.

Tone,JaM
04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks y'all! As it turns out the batteries being considered were not group 24 after all. 100ah Trojan SCS150 are too tall, the same problem as PopBeavers. We were just looking for a few extra amp hours, but will stick with the battery configuration we have for the time being. However, we are upgrading to a PD4655 converter so hopefully we should have 12v regardless, when connected to shore power or a generator.

OneMoBear
04-23-2010, 06:24 PM
However, we are upgrading to a PD4655 converter so hopefully we should have 12v regardless, when connected to shore power or a generator.

Golly. I would hope so.

Malinda