TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
AirKevan

Question Couple of Questions...new to the concept

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the RV concept, but would like to start traveling with one (plan to buy one during the fall RV show in Georgia).

I'm considering the 2720/3023/3124KB. It's my wife and I and our two kids...currently ages 3.5 and 2.

My three questions:

1. Which trailer would you choose and why (looking at my family size)

2. How do you keep someone from breaking into your trailer while you are out and about? Hooking up and driving off with it? I'm new...but it just seems like you are very much on the 'honor' system.

3. How do you go about finding destinations to go to? Obviously there is the internet...but do you have an giant RV guide that you use to find good areas and then find the good parks from there or what?

Anyways,

Thanks for the replies and I've really enjoyed reading alot of the posts on here...hope to be a TM owner this fall.

-Kevan
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKevan View Post
Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the RV concept, but would like to start traveling with one (plan to buy one during the fall RV show in Georgia).

I'm considering the 2720/3023/3124KB. It's my wife and I and our two kids...currently ages 3.5 and 2.

My three questions:

2. How do you keep someone from breaking into your trailer while you are out and about? Hooking up and driving off with it? I'm new...but it just seems like you are very much on the 'honor' system.

3. How do you go about finding destinations to go to? Obviously there is the internet...but do you have an giant RV guide that you use to find good areas and then find the good parks from there or what?

Anyways,

Thanks for the replies and I've really enjoyed reading alot of the posts on here...hope to be a TM owner this fall.

-Kevan
Looking at your family size, any of these trailers would work great. It has more to do with what you will be towing with, where you will be storing the trailer and what your comfort level is with open space.

2. How do you keep someone from breaking into your trailer while you are out and about?.

That's easy. There are locks that you can purchase at any RV store that will lock your trailer hitch so that it can't be towed.

3. How do you go about finding destinations to go to?

Join a camping club or just get acquainted with your local State parks then venture out from there. What area do you live in?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
AirKevan

We are currently living in Middle Georgia...(techincially I'm living in SW Asia in the desert but will be home soon).

I'm not worried about the towing, as I have on 08 Tundra 5.7L DC 4x4. However, storage may be an issue, as I'd prefer to park it in the garage and kick the wife's vehicle out, but I've not got a clue as to what our garage size is without measuring it...though I expect the bigger models won't fit.

Thank you for the response.

-Kevan
Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:

1) If your TV can handle it, I'd choose either the 3023 or 3124KB for the additional living space. The only thing the 3124KB has that the 3023 doesn't is a king bed in the back (vs. a queen) and an additional storage compartment. Otherwise, they're identical. Choose the 3124KB only if:
  • you prefer the space of a king bed
  • one of you gets up at night - the king bed allows you to sleep with your feet at the aisle vs. your feet at the wall -- that means you don't have to crawl over the other person to go to the bathroom
  • you need additional storage - there is extra space under the king bed

Otherwise, get the 3023. It's a little lighter and shorter, which will make it slightly easier to handle. I think they are also easier to find used, but that's not a consideration for you if you're buying at an RV show.

2) Generally, campers seem to respect other folks' property, but just like your home or car, if someone wants to get in your RV or TM, they will. The door has a lock, and you can add a deadbolt for added security. They will also steal the whole thing if they want, but there are many inexpensive after-market products to help deter theft; some occupy the coupler, some lock the wheel. It just depends on your comfort level. I think theft is very unlikely when the TM is setup, simply because the common thief doesn't know how to take it down. And if it is stolen, it will stick out like a sore thumb going down the road. Carry insurance. It will ruin your day if your TM is stolen, but it's not the end of the world.

3) There are lots of campground guides...books, websites, folks on this forum, word of mouth, etc. If you prefer to camp with full hookups in a campground with WiFi and a pool, you'll have alot easier time finding places than if you prefer solitude, wilderness, and isolation. More of the latter places typically require a backpack, but they are out there. They take work to find, especially if you life in a major city.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I'd prefer to park it in the garage and kick the wife's vehicle out, but I've not got a clue as to what our garage size is without measuring it...though I expect the bigger models won't fit.
Unless your garage is particularly large, the 2720 is probably the only one of the three that will fit, and you may even have to get a swing tongue on it. That's easy to determine obviously, and if storing in the garage is your priority, your decision is easy. A 2720 would still be a great choice. The only difference is that the dinette seating is a little smaller; you'll have adequate room for eating, but there won't be any "lounging on the couch" for the adults since the benches are too short. Other than that, the 2720 is identical to the 3023.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:

My three questions:

We originally was getting a 2720 but had some mechanical issues with our Rover & decided to wait. Luckily it wasn't anything major so we started looking again & found a 2008 3023 & noticed immediately the extra storage & bigger sofa area. We ended up buying it & so far it is very comfortable with me my wife, 14yr old son & our family dog. We have stayed 10 days for our longest trip in the winter last year.

Before choosing consider your tow vehicle tow capacity compared to the different model TM weight specs with estimated cargo & people weight totals. With all that said if we had two small children we would want at least the 3023 but I think I have heard of same situation with smaller ones also

Quote:
If someone wants in an RV of any kind they will get in. Locks on the TM are secure enough to keep honest people honest. We are not as seasoned as many here but in our experience so far other campers don't bother even the stuff we leave out all day. Of course we also have a dog & good Insurance coverage. We do put a lock as a deterrent on our tongue also.

We have no plans on transporting anything not easily replaced though either.

Quote:
1. We have joined GoodSams & CampClub USA which have campground listings all over country.
2. We also have read about destinations here & other places on the net.
3. Oh you can also purchase directory books such as WoodAlls

Good Luck with which ever one you choose for your family we love ours so far.

Once again I was beat to the punch by my slow typing LOL LOL

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #7
AirKevan

Billy, Dave, and HarveyRV,

Thank you all for your responses...much appreciated. I think my family and I will love the RV community...seems we have alot of good folks in it...from what I've gathered reading all the messages on this forum.

-Kevan
Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We have a 2720SL, twins that are 2.5 yrs old, and an English Springer Spaniel. I've removed the lounge chair from the TM, and we seem to have tons of room for the whole family. I haven't used up all the storage space, and I think I've gotten just about everything I want to carry into the TM. So, for us at least, it's a good fit.

That, and the fact that anything bigger definitely wouldn't fit into the garage! But that's dependent upon your garage size, naturally. Plus, I'm towing with a Toyota Sienna, so I've got weight considerations as well.

As to theft, no one's touched anything we've had outside the TM (grill, etc.) As to towing the whole thing away, I'm doubtful it would be a likely occurrence, as mentioned above: most people won't know how to collapse the TM, so they'd first need to break in, then figure out how to collapse it, then drive off. Not likely, imo.

We love it!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
PopBeavers

In Google Eath thre is a feature that will display the locations of all forest service campgrounds, state parks, county parks, etc. You have to enable it. Then just zoom in somewhere that you think might be an interesting area and see what shows up.

With young kids, Disney ha to be high on your list. There are other parks that are vacation destinations, but I just can not think of them. Jelley Stone comes to mind, but I know nothing aobut it.

Public parks on a lake or stream would probably be a good choice. Children seem to have a lot of fun anywhere that has water.

RVParks like KOA will typically have a swimming pool and other outdoor game areas that a state park would not have. With kids that may be a big deal for entertaining them.

RV parks will have full hookups (water, electric, sewer) while many state parks and forest service campgrounds will not have any of those, so it is a completely different style.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
Al-n-Sue

Default check out military campgrounds

Quote:
Kevan - sounds like you may be military. First, thank you for your service! And we pray you get home soon.

Here in Colorado Springs we have friends who are retired AF and they swear by the family camp at the AF Academy. I understand that most military bases have camps like this or recreation areas nearby. That would be a good choice for you and would be very inexpensive.

One source that has not been mentioned is reserveamerica.com and recreation.gov. These sites are reservation sites for state parks and federal campgrounds respectively.

Welcome (soon) to the TM family!
Alan