TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
sallby

Default extended warranty???

We are about to purchase a 2009 3023. The dealer has an extended warranty program for up to 7 yrs. My experience with extended warranties on commercial trucks tells me that the extended warranty is not worth the cost. Has anyone got good numbers showing the extended warranty is cost effective with the Trailmanor
Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallby View Post
We are about to purchase a 2009 3023. The dealer has an extended warranty program for up to 7 yrs. My experience with extended warranties on commercial trucks tells me that the extended warranty is not worth the cost. Has anyone got good numbers showing the extended warranty is cost effective with the Trailmanor

For Me The Extended Warranty Wouldn't Be Worth Buying.
I Bought My Trailmanor From a Dealer 7 Hours Away, I Would Not Drive That Far For Service Work.
I Had Several Small Problems Once I Got My Trailmanor Home. Between The Information On This Board And The Willingness To Take Apart My New Purchase I Have Fixed All The Quirks, And Started On The Mods.
I Don't Forsee Any Major Problems, If I Run Into Any I'll Take My TM To The Factory To Get Worked On.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Scott O

"Has anyone got good numbers showing the extended warranty is cost effective with the Trailmanor

I would be really surprised if such numbers exist. Extended warranties on anything are a matter or probability and odds. If you buy it and it turns out you need it, you made a good guess. If you don't need it, you wasted your money. I tend to not get extended warranties on anything, preferring to take my chances. As for our specifics, we have had our TM for over a year and not had any issues on anything. But, of course, your experience may differ!!! And keep in mind that when you read a forum like this people are bringing up problems and getting info on solutions. I suspect that the vast majority of TM owners without problems (the 'silent majority' to revisit a phrase) are not being heard from...

As an adendum...why not take the amount of the premium and put it in a separate bank account to be used only on TM maintenance? I'm guessing you will come out ahead.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
kenngeri2720

I purchase an extend warranty when bought my 2009 2720SL in April from the Car Show in Colorado Springs. As luck would have it I had a problem after coming home from Rocky Mountain State Park in September. After I winterized the TM I took it 3.5 miles to the storage lot and upon unhooking it I smelt a burn paint smell coming from the right wheel. The wheel was so hot I could not touch it and the left was almost as hot. I called the dealer and made and appointment to bring it in to be looked at. Since I did not have any brake problems I put two pumps of grease in the ezlube axel just in case it was dry or a bad bearing. The “Care Show “ called a few days later and said everything was fine and that there may have been to much grease which caused it to overheat (Dexter said you can not over grease this type of axel) but that the breaks were fine. Since they could not find anything wrong they charged me $107.00 to look at it. The salesmen contact the extended warranty folks which was no help either. It doesn’t look like the manufacturer or the extended warrant will cover anything unless they find a problem (no diagnostics). If a car manufacturer did this they would be out of business. I am going to try and cancel my extended warranty.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I purchased a 10-year-old TM 2720 from a private party about 3 months ago. The guy had receipts for ever dime that he ever spent on this trailer.

From 2003 to 2005 he replaced the fridge, water heater, w/pump, tires & wheel bearings. I think that most of these items could have been avoided or may have not even been necessary. At any rate, from 1998-2003 he had zero problems with the TM and took it in for regular check-ups (who does that???). In the years 2003-2005 he spent about $2,000 in replacing non-wear & tear items (I don't count tires & bearings).

He used the trailer a lot and it is still in terrific shape. I think that this is an extreme case but in this case, $2000 over a 10 year period sure isn't bad and I'll bet that you would spend more on the policy plus items that the policy doesn't cover.

Read the policy very carefully. You may find that it doesn't cover much anyway, especially if they can say that it was the owner's fault that something failed. Make sure that you understand any and all service charges or "Adjustments" that you would have to pay in the event of a problem. In the case of our TM, I'll bet that they wouldn't have covered the water heater because he lit it without water in it and they wouldn't have replaced the fridge with a new one. They may have repaired the old one or the owner would have to pay a % of a new one.

Most of the policies aren't worth the paper they are written on. I used to be a Service Manager at a Chevy Dealership in Los Angeles. One of the reasons that I got out of the business was because of the extended warranty nightmare. I had to deal with all of the customers that were upset about the lack of coverage from their policies. It was awful.