TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Al-n-Sue

Default Our first trip - and some concessions to the old timers!

We were able to take our TM out for a one nighter to test the towing, the setup, and get all our camping gear stowed. We went to Lathrop SP near Walsenburg, CO. It is the oldest SP in Colorado, and has nice facilities. Most sites are flat and open. All four of the loops have electric sites with a camper services building containing showers and flush toilets. As you can see by the pictures, it is mostly pinon and juniper pines. But the mountains are not far away - see the picture of the Spanish Peaks. So here are my impressions after one outing (rather lengthy I'm afraid - I'm an analyst by trade! ).
TOWING
My "D" (Durango) tow vehicle did very well in towing. I kept speeds at 60-65 on the interstate (with a 75 mph speed limit) and was able to use the cruise control AND overdrive. However, and here are my concessions, I need a WDH! When I picked up the TM the dealer was confident that I wouldn't need one, but when I hitched the TM with about 30 gallons of water in it, it dropped the hitch almost twice as much as it did at first (3.5 " vs 2"), but also raised the front more than I realized (about 3 inches). The day was very windy, and I could tell the difference in control, even with AWD. In fact, someone passed us and indicated by hand signals that our TV really was dipping in the back and raised in the front. I couldn't see it as much when I hitched up because it was on a slight downhill. So I'll have a WDH before our next trip in two weeks. Should have taken everyone's advice, but now I have experience on what not to do! I was also disappointed in the Tow-n-See mirrors. they worked ok, but it dook some effort to see out of them - not just a glance like on the regualr mirrors. I'll be looking into the McKesh or Eagle Vision sold by Camping World. Mileage wise I was a little disappointed. Typically I can get 16-17 on the highway with the D. I got 11.5 towing the TM. It was windy the whole drive - mostly cross wind but maybe a little quartering as well. I'll check it again on the next trip.
SETUP
No problems here. I've been through this in my mind many times, read the many guides on this forum, and got a thorough demonstration from the dealer. The only problem I had was when helping DW make the bed, I was standing on the rear bumper and stepped on one of the turn clips that hold the bumper trunk cover and broke it. I also failed to realize that the dealer had left all the faucets open, including the low point drains at the back. So once I turned on the pump, I had a bit of water flowing until I found all the cutoffs. The next day I did find a slight drip right behind the left wheel well. I don't know if it is a leak or just some left over water from the initial overflow that was still draining out. I'll check with the dealer and watch it on our next outing. By the way did I mention it was almost dark when we set up? And cold and windy? It was hard not to hurry! But we managed ok, go the heater fired up and had a good, if not short, evening.
GENERAL IMPRESSIONS
With our electric sheet on the bed, we slept very snug despite the sub-freezing temps outside. We had the heater set at about 60 so it came on occasionally - and it WAS noisy! While I went to finish our registration process the next morning, DW finished unloading all the plastic totes we brought with our gear from the pup. When I got back she was sitting in the trailer, empty totes all around, and said, "I've stored everything we had in the popup and I still have tons of space left!" That is the biggest change I see is the over abundance on space to keep things in the trailer. No more loading up the back of the D with gear that we can't carry in the trailer!
I didn't get much done on the outside because of the cold and wind, but was able to store all my trailer gear in the rear trunk and uncoil the electrical cable which was twisted a bit in it's storage area.
CLOSING
When we dicded it was time to leave, we took our time closing down the TM, but even so, I forgot to turn off the water heater and we had to raise the shells back up after we had it hitched up! We had a major learning experience when we went to the dump - when I opened the black water valve the waste came out so fast it popped the hose out of the drain! We were able to use the gray water to clean up a bit, but now we know to hold it down when we dump!
OVERALL
We are VERY pleased with our camper. The previous owners added a lot of nice features, the dealer did an excellent job of cleaning and preparing it for us, and we found it very comfortable. We look forward to many years of camping with this trailer. If you'd like to see pictures of the modifications/additions, go to my album at
http://www.alancavin.com/PhotoAlbum/...ook/index.html
Comments, feedback, and I told you so's are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667sm.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2624  
Old 04-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
CLOSING
We had a major learning experience when we went to the dump - when I opened the black water valve the waste came out so fast it popped the hose out of the drain! We were able to use the gray water to clean up a bit, but now we know to hold it down when we dump!
We also had an experience like this at the Big Sur Campgrounds and Cabins in our first year of ownership, except our connection at the trailer popped out. It made quite a mess. We now let it out slowly and also have someone check both the outlet connection and keep a foot or a rock on the drain connection.

I hope that won't happen again. It was quite embarrassing.

Glad that you like your TM! Things will get better and better.

Keep us posted on your adventures.

Dee
Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
ng2951

I find ScanGauge is a very helpful device in learning how to efficiently tow a trailer. As an FYI, I have found that little is saved towing the 3326 with the overdrive on and that a bucket load of gas is saved using cruise control.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Queeniereads

I will add that we found it most economical to drive between 55 and 60 when towing with our Mercury Mountaineer. THanks for the tip about ScanGuage, ng. We only dropped 2 mpg when towing. We will be out this weekend for the first time behind a new GMC 2500 Sierra, so might have more data then. Loved the details of your first time out, Al and Sue. Do get the anti-sway-something. It makes a big difference. Happy camping! Queen
Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Two comments:

1. My truck only drops 5/8 inch when I connect the TM, fully loaded. That is why I do not need a WD hitch. At 2+ for you I certainlyt agree that it is likely necessary.

2. Some people use a 90 degree elbow at the end of the sewer hose and some just bend the hose. If you did not use an elbow try that. I have never had the host pop out. I also try to keep the the sewer cap resting on the hose end. This helps a little. Also, I pull the handle slowly but briskly. Not just a yank. I suspect it was the sudden force that knocked it out.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Default hold the elbow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Two comments:

2. Some people use a 90 degree elbow at the end of the sewer hose and some just bend the hose. If you did not use an elbow try that. I have never had the host pop out. I also try to keep the the sewer cap resting on the hose end. This helps a little. Also, I pull the handle slowly but briskly. Not just a yank. I suspect it was the sudden force that knocked it out.
I have the 90 degree elbow and the sewer cap was on the hose - I must have pulled the handle quickly and it sent a surge that popped it out. I'll have DW standing on the elbow next time! And I'll be a little slower on the handle!

Thanks for the advice
Al
Old 04-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Al -

At many campsites, you will find 3 or 4 good size rocks sitting on the ground near the sewer opening. Now you know what they are for!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Al-n-Sue

Default We (I) continue to have sewer (i.e. memory) issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
We had a major learning experience when we went to the dump - when I opened the black water valve the waste came out so fast it popped the hose out of the drain! We were able to use the gray water to clean up a bit, but now we know to hold it down when we dump!
On our 2nd trip - the "official" shakedown trip for our little camping group - all went well till closing time. I forgot to pull the inside lever on the toilet before I pulled the lever on the outside. I had already dumped the gray water and put the hose up when I realized why the black water only trickled. Fortunately we were at a full hookup site, so I just had to reconnect the hose and redump - after pulling the lever inside! It was especially embarrassing since 2 of our 3 TM couples were with us.
Otherwise it was a great trip. The wind blew and it was chilly, but a good test of the TM. We finally had to retract the awning on Saturday when the wind got so bad, but otherwise the TM stood up to the elements.
My new WDH needs some adjustment and I'll get that professionally done this weekend instead of trying to do it myself - especially with no wrenches that fit the big nuts!
If you want a full service RV park near Colorado Springs, check out Mountaindale RV park. It is a great close-in (i.e. less gas) park.
Alan
Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Queeniereads

Was not too clear on your order of dumping, but we always dump the black water first so the gray water will help wash out the system. Just thought that was clever advise that we probably got on this forum at some point. Queen
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Al-n-Sue

I had the same advice and I thought it stange that when I dumped the black water there didn't seem to be much - especially based on what I had experienced before. Now I know if there is not a gush of water when you pull the black water drain, something is amiss!
I'm pretty sure I found that advice on this forum, but I know my dealer made a point of the order of dumping when we went through the delivery instructions. We also gained insight (here and at the dealer) on NOT leaving the drains open when parked at a site with full hookups - but to dump occasionally to better create flow to clean out the sewer hoses.