TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #21
DC Randy

Hope this helps...here goes:

I'm in my mid 40s, and have been camping (popups, tents, etc) all my life. My parents now have a 5th wheel and my siblings have pull along travel trailers.

I am SOOO scared of trailer sway when pulling, so I was very, very picky about what I wanted for my first RV. TM REALLY filled the bill. Seriously, I have 2005 Jeep Liberty with tow package (6 cyl.), and when I pulled my new 2720SL back from SC to DC, I didn't have ANY sway!!! We stopped at 8PM in a campground, as it was getting dark, and we were set up in 20 mins (this was my 2nd time doing it). That's opening it up, hooking up, and leveling.

This is an awesome camper! Yes, it is more expensive, but the designer knew what he was doing, and he made such comfort/options available.

If you have never pulled and RV or want to have great options, THIS is definately the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Randy
Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #22
meriflower

We have a Hi-Lo 2207T. Hi-Lo's lower and raise with a push of button - takes 12 seconds. There is no further setup inside - no cabinets to hang, no wardrobes to swing and lift, no velcro flaps to put in place, and no bathroom walls to put together. Hi-Lo's are heavier than TM but you do not need a 1 ton truck to pull them either. We pull ours with a Jeep Commander with no problems. We really like our Hi-Lo and have been using extensively since we bought it new in April and have had zero problems so far.

We did look at TM's as well but since we have never owned one cannot comment.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #23
larsdennert

The hilo is the next step toward a conventional TT. The hilo is another niche product like TM filling the gap between a tent trailer and full travel trailer. At some point you may as go with a full TT and not compromise interior space by needing to fold. The folding is quick compared to the rest of the packing. Having to fold whether tent, TM, Hilo etc is a compromise on towing compared to a box trailer. You have to accept that you'll have less space in there. There's also the Chalet and A-liner folding trailers that are smaller than the TM or hilo. We looked at the largest Chalet because it had a bath shower and cassette toilet with had walls. What I liked is that full bed had lots of storage below and a dinnette that converted to a second bed. Ultimately, it was just a bit small for the four of us and about the same tow size. Some tent trailers have baths but are pretty minimal in design. I'd rather just run behind a bush, sleep in a tent and eliminate that trailer all together. The TM feels like a small house.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #24
mmayville

Default RV vs. Hi-Lo vs. TM

There is a lot of helpful information in this forum when it comes to deciding which type of RV (Travel Trailer) to purchase for your family needs. My first Travel Trailer was a 2009 Road Runner full size. Pulling it was like pulling a billboard down the highway behind my Toyota Tacoma. Although it served us well and we had great times wherever we decided to setup, the wife had to climb over me to get out of bed which is explained in more detail at the end of this novel. :-) It was an impulse buy for us at 18' + 3' for the tongue hitch for a total of 22'. We met a couple in our travels through Michigan that had a 22T Hi-Lo which very much interested us because of the low profile towing. We traded the Road Runner (which by the way shook itself apart pulling it down the highway) for a Hi-Lo 17T (TowLite) at 2850 UVW and 3840 GRVW. It has served us well also but (*always one of these) it was too small for all of the things my wife brings on a road trip. We have run into the situation that the battery died on the road and had to hand jack the unit up. (real pain). So we have sold this unit as of yesterday. So the decision boils down to buying a larger Hi-Lo to fit our needs without having to make the bed every night or a TM which has the permanent beds that can stay made until you are ready to go home. The maximum weight that I can pull with my Tacoma is 6000 Lbs. with passengers and gear and that is pushing it. It has a 600 lbs. hitch weight. It does have the Heavy Duty Towing Package. The largest Hi-Lo I can tow safely is the 22T and stay within my towing weight. Still with the luxurious bathroom in the rear of the unit, beds still need to be made every night and the overhead bunk needs at least a 2 step to climb into and can remain made all day. But rounding 60 who wants to climb a step stool to get into bed 4' off the floor with the risk of breaking something new if you need to get up in the middle of the night? I have already posted on this forum that I am looking for a TM that will fit our needs and ease of setup is not a problem. Yes you push a button in the Hi-Lo and up it goes. But the underlying equipment not mentioned is the maintenance of the unit. There are cables and pulleys that do the heavy lifting plus a hydraulic pump that slides along a shaft to raise the unit. These need to be lubricated with white lithium grease every 6 months (not really a problem on the ground underneath on a creeper) to prevent rust and heaven forbid you break a cable. With all of the creeks and cracks and pops that my body has this has become a real chore for me. Hi-Lo is a well made product but cons are the weight and the maintenance. Yes nice to walk right in and little setup, however time to get a unit that does not require lubrication and moving parts. So with that said, I have heard of air leaks in the TM and the insulation being and issue, but have not seen much of it here on the forum. We are searching for the right TM. The wife likes the slide out sofa with the chair. I like the 3023 and am not sure what the measurements are for the slide out bed. Have to look at the floor plan and if it is a king bed (Measurements 78" X 78" ?) would eliminate the need to make the bed every night. The wife has had back surgery and I have a tendency to get up in the middle of the night which means she cannot climb over me in the morning to get out of bed. So any information that can be added to this lengthy post is deeply appreciated.

Mike

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #25
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Note that most of these posts were from 2007 when HiLo was still in business. Does sound like you need something with ether two beds or a King.

My 2720SL has proven a lot for me but if the right 2922KD came along, I'd probably jump on it.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #26
mmayville

I stumbled across this thread while looking for comparisons between different units. But yes, unit with 2 beds or unit with the large size king would be the best fit. Thank you!!

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #27
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Get a model with king bed to avoid the climbing over.

As for climbing into bed get a good step stool. Search the forum and you will find many different ones. I cannot imagine using the tiny little thing that comes standard with the the TM. But the one I bought is very wide and very sturdy. No concerns climbing up or down.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #28
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Rubbermaid makes good quality steps. I use a two step model... Since we are in Texas.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #29
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

rvcycleguy, I can barely do a two-step on the dance floor, but the 2-step stool we use (foldable, so it is out of the way during the day) is no problem. I am also nearing 60, and DW is way over, and neither of us has a problem getting out in the middle of the night.

My bed (2417, but you want a larger model) has a king bed. I use two Coleman air mattresses, inflating with a 12v pump, with a 3" foam topper and a heavy sleeping bag (it gets cold up high where we camp). I deflate for travel, and leave all bedding in-place. Simple, in my book.

Any TM model you get will be better than a Hi-lo, since you can tow the same length TM and Hi-lo, yet the TM opens to 7' longer than the Hi-lo. And, the TM is lighter, even with all the extras the Hi-lo can't have, due to design.

I could go on, but I have a 2417 and you will be looking at a model at least 2922. Different amenities, and different bathroom layout. We love our TM, and recommend them for most uses.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote