TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2002, 02:26 PM   #1
Happytrails

Default Front clam shell problem

Welp, knew it was too good to be true, my rv shop *FINALLY* got it inside to work on my 400.00 special. It only sat for three weeks before they could even take it in, then another MONTH before they could work on it. They're telling me the whole front clam shell needs to be replaced.  
Does anyone know about how much one would cost for a 3023? Just curious........the inside's a bit dirty, but nothing I can't clean up myself. I think I'll have em go through and make sure everything else works before I spend the money on a new clam shell........(all the wood's rotted out of it, and it's a 1986). On the good side tho, it's so old it has the old square windows in it that aren't being made anymore by anyone, and I'll have the newer style with the corners rounded off.  (one of which is busted out) One other thing to consider is a new awning.........grrr.........Has anyone had any experience with this?

Bill -n- Karen
Old 04-07-2002, 12:02 PM   #2

Default Re: Front clam shell problem

Call Jimmy Davis at the factory.  As your unit is very old, obtaining a proper fit with a current production shell will be interesting.  Good luck.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
Happytrails

Welp, all said and told, RV shop, which does NOT SELL any RV's, just accessories, and services them...But more importantly, they rent RV's out...which my dad with his bluebird "SWEARS BY" to fix his, is trying to rip me off. They told me there was NOTHING they could do without it costing thousands of dollars (their excuse saying my dad would be pissed off if I had a big bill, and he gives them LOTS of business with his RV)..........Welp, being 34, and not so gullible, had a funky feeling, sure enough, they know I've only got 400 bucks in it, and are hoping I'll sell off the appliences (to them, for their rental stuff cheap) and strip it down to a car hauler thinking I'd be happy making money on the deal instead of getting myself a heck of a deal on a really innovative trailer backed by a durn good company to use for camping........Turns out after talking to Jimmy....and he's such a patient person, and really super nice......there's not too much to fixing my trailer....the rv shop in question made it out like the whole top is ruined beyond repair......and it's not.....not at all.....even priced it out with Jimmy, and told me it'd be around 8,000 just to replace the whole front shell........and told me I was driving the people at trailmanor crazy to keep me from talking to them. They also told me it'd be (thousands of dollars....like 8,000) to repair it rather than replace. This RV shop also told me if I lifted it off of the Torsion bars, all kinds of springs would fly out all over the place, and I'd be sorry.....guys, there are no springs in there....just a pivot point. Jimmy even took the time to explain everything, and did me really good even tho I had bought a used Trailmanor third party at a bargain price. When I get it up and going (on my own, I lost my trust in that RV shop, and found out my problem's REALLY EASY to fix) I will mail Trailmanor a letter commending him,(Jimmy), he's been really wonderful. A word from the wise, DON'T let some shop say it can't be done! All I need to do is add a 1x1 piece of wood, glue, and re screw it down on the top of my front section, and redo the bottom with aluminum square tubing, and add my 40 bucks worth of pocket stops, and have the trim and screwcovers on thier way via Jimmy.........I can do the whole thing in a few short hours........and yes, these people are smart enough to have done it, but guess they had their own agenda. Lesson learned........and just passing it along.......btw, if ya have to put the pocket stops in, I told Jimmy I was thinking about fabricating something outta 2x4's to lift the top section with a walk behind forklift I have handy at work......Jimmy quickly made me feel really dumb.....but in a good way by saying simply, "well when we add them here at the factory, we just stick a 2x4 under the top section and rest it on the bottom section...........duuuuuuhhhh......(yup, I feel stupid now, but informed of an easier way) Anyway, I'm through venting.....you guys know you'd not want to be taken like that RV shop tried, but thank goodness the trailmanor company is a really good company, that truely cares about their product, and stick behind it 100,000% Guys, over and beyond what Jimmy is helping me with, has helped me with......they're a really stand up company with an owner/designer that truely cares about their product........you can't go wrong. Oh, and yes, I filled Jimmy in on the details about that RV shop, and cutting them outta the loop........(RV shop)........Take care all, and don't get taken.............

Bill -n- Karen
Old 04-11-2002, 01:30 AM   #4
arknoah

Bill n Karen

An incredible testimony on the customer service and attitude of Trailmanor.  While we haven't had any major issues arise yet with our 2001 unit, I will not hesitate to contact the factory when something does come up.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:22 AM   #5

Happy Trails,

I just got back from the first leg of this year's morel mushroom collecting tour. After I do some whirlwind gardening chores and lawnwork, I'll be off to the northern lower pennisula of Michigan to hopefully clean up on this special fungus.

Anyway, to get back to the subject, our tour took us through Missouri (Branson), Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana. And while in Tennesee, we visited Lake City and "The Factory". We met Bill Hulsey, took a wonderful tour with his daughter (I believe ??? it was Karen, my wife said her name was Linda and she's probably right, but it's my story) and met Jimmy Davis (my minds eye said he would be short and overweight :-[, but he's rather tall and thin. I told him what I was thinking. He got a chuckle out of that). I had a few minor parts I needed and he personally filled my order.

But the reason for my note: I agree, those tension bars are not beyond tickering with, as they are just that torsion bars. But I am considering adjusting the arms of my 2720sl, so the trailer's profile is a bit staighter. Nothing major, just a minor adjustment. I mentioned it to Karen/Linda(?)Hulsey during the tour and she said I should bring it up with JD, as there are ways of dealing with the torsion bars to save some unexpected issues due to tension. I forgot to address the subject with Jimmy, but I suspect all I would find out is I should back off the torsion adjustment bolts, located under the trailer. To what degree, I don't have a clue. But before I start, I'll talk to Jimmy.

Anywho, if any of you find it in your travels to come close to the factory. Take a tour, they were all so helpful and friendly.

Happy Trails...........George
Old 04-18-2002, 12:27 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

George wrote:

>But the reason for my note: I agree, those tension bars are not beyond tickering with, as they are just that torsion bars. But I am considering adjusting the arms of my 2720sl, so the trailer's profile is a bit staighter. Nothing major, just a minor adjustment. I mentioned it to Karen(?)Hulsey during the tour and she said I should bring it up with JD, as there are ways of dealing with the torsion bars to save some unexpected issues due to tension. I forgot to address the subject with Jimmy, but I suspect all I would find out is I should back off the torsion adjustment bolts, located under the trailer. To what degree, I don't have a clue. But before I start, I'll talk to Jimmy. <

In General Discussion, thread titled "Closing Effort", read reply #8 - which details the technique for adjusting the torsion bar preset loading.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 01:44 PM   #7
Happytrails

Update on this problem. It's nearing completion! I fixed the upper wall and ceiling in under 2 hours, and all that wood has been replaced out with aluminum tubing bought at the local hardware store! I've got about as much in the materials than the RV shop would have charged me for just half the time to fix it not including materials! Of course they probably would have replaced the old wood with new wood, and it would have taken them three times as long as well! Anyway, this is a work in progress kind of thing, and I have now put up a web page with full photos and detailed descriptions on EVERYTHING, if anyone's interested.  ;D The link is at:

http://members.aol.com/br768

Happytrails
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
mbd4kids

Happytrails, we are not able to pull up any of your pictures of your front shell fix. Any chance they are posted somewhere else or they could be reposted? We just got back from the factory and were told to handle our front shell with care...
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

MBD -

Perhaps you noticed that no one has posted to this thread in 10 years, and the original Happytrails hasn't been an active member of the board since then. We miss him - he made some great contributions - but his web site is long gone. Sorry.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
mbd4kids

Thanks Bill, I figured as much. I actually found a copy that someone else posted, but was not able to pull up pictures. Oh well.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote