TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default scrubjaysnest 2015 travels continue

Normally for us it's about the journey not the destination. This summer we have a destination of WA and OR in mind but how to get there is another question.

Tentative plans are stops at Three Rivers SP, Sneads, Fl sometime in April.
From there stop at Millers Ferry ACOE near Camden, Al. After that it will be Choctaw Lk near Lewisville, MS. That's in the Tombigbee NF

All three are nice CG's we have stopped at before. There is a wally world for supplies at Lewisville. The last time at Millers Ferry bank fishing didn't require a fishing license.

From there the next stop Pendleton Bend ACOE in the Arkansas Post National Monument. Haven't been there before so don't know how long we will be in the area. This is near Dumas, AR.

The next stop will be Crystal Springs, USFS near Hot Springs AR that we have stayed at in the past. The have some Mtn Bike single track calling me. Just don't want to crash and burn. Crystal Springs is in the Quachita NF.
After that it will be through OK and the panhandle of TX. The stops in OK and TX will be temperature dependent. Foss Lk SP in OK if it is hot or Black Kettle NG, Dead Warrior LK has dry camping with water and vault toilets, if temps are in theupper 50's at night.

When we leave depends on when the used Kyorcea 120 watt I ordered gets here. That goes on the rear shell with Riv nuts in the brackets. Also need to finish cleaning and repairs to TM and check out the house we have for sale in the Ocala NF.

We will move slowly NW as daytime temps go up and CG's start to open. Some at higher elevations don't open until mid May in northern NM for example.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Had planned to leave April 9th but that is on the back burner. Got to put a new roof on the place in the scrub (Ocala NF). Started making the Z brackets yesterday for the 120 watt panel, made up leads with MC4 connectors. Used 10 awg marine wire. Just about finished building a small shelf to go over the wheel well on the curb side. Repaired the shelf under the stove and other minor cabinet repairs in that area. Found one of the couch braces floating around in the front storage compartment. The screws had backed out of the wood frame holding the angle brace. Also replaced the rubber grommets that hold the stove grill in place.Robbed Peter to pay Paul on that one. The Outback uses the same grommets. Still working on CG's for WA and OR.

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Departure date is now pushed into May; one doctor visit to get out of the way.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Jampcourt

Scrubjaysnest, sounds like a great way to wander to the west...we also find that the journey itself is what it is all about!

When you go through the panhandle of Texas, I would like to point out a spot that many people don't know exists. Yes, there is the Big Texan at the restaurant where you can try to eat a 72 ounce steak-one can't miss that on I-40. However, a mere 30 miles south is the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and it is definitely worth a detour, even if for a short visit. The Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the country, yet many don't even know it is there. It is absolutely beautiful! I don't know the shape of the camping facilities, as it has been a long time since I camped there, but I just wanted to mention the area.

Here is the link for more info if you are interested.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I too have camped there and it is a great place to see. There was a long drive going into the park as I remember, but it was really well maintained.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
Scrubjaysnest, sounds like a great way to wander to the west...we also find that the journey itself is what it is all about!

When you go through the panhandle of Texas, I would like to point out a spot that many people don't know exists. Yes, there is the Big Texan at the restaurant where you can try to eat a 72 ounce steak-one can't miss that on I-40. However, a mere 30 miles south is the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and it is definitely worth a detour, even if for a short visit. The Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the country, yet many don't even know it is there. It is absolutely beautiful! I don't know the shape of the camping facilities, as it has been a long time since I camped there, but I just wanted to mention the area.

Here is the link for more info if you are interested.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon
We will be north of there, stopped at that one in 2012 for the bike trails. Cap Rock is another nice one also.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Getting closer to a launch date. Redid the solar panel to CC wiring by adding in a load center. Wanted a way to turn off the solar panels while working on things and testing. Also didn't like having the extension lead for the portable set-up hot all the time. Got a 70 amp indoor load center at the local ACE for less then on line plus the shipping for a 30 amp. Adds about 6#'s to the back storage but since I already had two Square D QO 15 amp breakers the over all cost was a wash. I could have ordered Midnight breakers at about $10 a piece plus din rail and a box to mount everything for about twice what I'm out of pocket. The mod pic is here:http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5&postcount=22

A caution on QO breakers they are the only ones that Square D makes that are DC rated. This is very important. They are only good for 48 VDC so are good on a 12 volt system. The NEC wants you to de-rate them 20%; for my 15 amp labeled breakers that's 12 amps. DO NOT use QO breakers from the battery to a load. Under short circuit conditions the battery can provide more then the 5kAmps it takes to destroy a QO breaker and start a nasty fire. I can't caution folks enough on this.
I used these between the solar panels and the CC; the CC output has a breaker between it and the battery that is rated for that.

That said all that is left is a little clean-up, add in a test pig tail so I can check the batteries, CC output, and solar input voltages with the camper closed up.

Then we can start loading for the trip

Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default stops along route from AR

Our first stop in AR is Pendleton Bend. acoe at Arkansas post national monument.
Stop after that is Crystal Springs, usfs in the Quachita NF.
Rocky Creek in the Chickasaw NM next stop no electric.
To get around OK city we will take a back road to I-35 and get off at Pauls City on SR 19 to US 62 @ Chickasha then US 281 north to I-40.
Stop @ Foss Lake SP in OK just off I-40.
Then I-40 to Juniper NPS cg in Bandelier NM in NM.
2ND NM over night is Coal Mine usfs, Grants exit on I-40.
Back on I-40 to Flagstaff, swing north on US 89, there is a usfs CG at the entrance to Sunset Crater NM.
From there we will go north on US 89 switch to ALT US 89 to stop at Lee's Ferry, BLM on the Colorado River. This is the Marble Canyon area and Navajo Bridge may be of interest.
Now routing gets a little more complicated and I have to switch computers for the rest of the route. Basically from this point head west to I-15 picking it up near Toquerville UT. This will take you by Zion NP by the way. North on I-15 take SR 130 out of Cedar City Ut and then pick up SR 21 so you can get to Lower Lehman CG, Great Basin NP. To be continued in next post.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default NV to OR

Leave Great Basin NP on US 50 to join US 93 and continue north on US 93.
From US 93 we will have to watch for a turn onto SR 229 to take us to Thomas Canyon usfs CG. SR 229 will get us to I-80 so we can get to Elko for the road into the CG.
When we leave there it will be I-80 west until Winnemucca NV. This stop may be a RV park if we don't like the looks of Water canyon, blm dry.
At this point one can stay on I-80 into northern CA or go north on US 95 which is what we will do.
From US 95 we plan to pick up NV 140 and head west to Crater Lk NP'
It appears NV 140 becomes OR 140. We will over night at Mud Creek, usfs before getting to Crater Lk. We won't camp at Crater Lake but stay at Farewell Bend usfs on the Rogue river. Between Mud Creek and Farewell Bend we change roads; it may be Sprague River Rd or OR 442 so we can pick OR 62 at Chiloquin OR. These smaller roads are what make the journey.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Starting our summer travels

On Monday the 18th we start our summer travel season. First stop will be at Open Pond in the Conecuh NF south on Andalusia, AL Have to go in the back way as the bridge on AL 55 is out for replacement just as you leave Florala.