TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
grubbyjeans

Question Whodat?

My wife and I stayed a few days in the KOA at Wytheville Va. around the 20th of May.

On the morning that we left, we discovered a note on our windshield from another forum member, but the note is almost unreadable and I can't make out the name. It looks to be 'Salmone' but I can't be sure.

We'd like to say hi and sorry we missed you.

Ray
grubbyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
clan_salmons

Wow, it worked. Sorry about the scribbled note. We were on the way out and it was a spur of the moment thing. I would have knocked on the door, but your curtains looked to be closed. Others here have printed cards. Maybe I ought to try that instead of writing on the steering wheel.

I posted you on the 2014 Sightings thread (post #36) hoping you were a member.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Virginia.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
grubbyjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan_salmons View Post
Wow, it worked. Sorry about the scribbled note. We were on the way out and it was a spur of the moment thing. I would have knocked on the door, but your curtains looked to be closed. Others here have printed cards. Maybe I ought to try that instead of writing on the steering wheel.

I posted you on the 2014 Sightings thread (post #36) hoping you were a member.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Virginia.
Wish you HAD knocked! We were just leaving and stopped to refill the lp when I saw the note. We made another circle through the camp but couldn't find anyone. We were looking for you by what we thought was a site no. Never occurred to us that it was a TM number.

We were in the midst of our first long trip in the TM. We have made a couple of short trips (200mi) since purchasing it.

We had looked at a couple of other 2720s but didn't get the condition/price we were happy with. We have been traveling with a 1985 Apache that we refurbished and had been to Va. (during Sandy), Arizona and another trip to Roscoe NY.

My wife was just 'shopping' Craigslist last year about this time, when she ran across a 'new' 2009 TM2720 in NC. We asked for pics and talked with the owner about the trailer.

He said he was selling due to a divorce. We looked at the pics, and asked all the appropriate questions concerning the title and its involvement in the divorce. Obviously, all the answers were the right ones, so we loaded up the truck and headed off from Houston, TX to Advance, NC.

It really was a new 2009. He had bought the trailer in 2008, taken it home and put it in the garage.......for four years! He had never set the trailer up. It still had manufacture packaging on it.

At the time you saw us, we were in the midst of a trip that would take us from the Dulcimer Festival in Mountain View, Ar. to Clarksville, Tn. where we visited our daughter.

We left there and headed for a tune up at Jacksboro and on to The Crooked Road.

We began our adventure at Bristol, where we stayed at Shadrack Rv Park for a few days.

Our desire was to see and hear as much of the music as possible. We located places within a few miles of Bristol where we could sit in on 'jams' and I just selected one for each day of the week and put the location in the gps.

We continued the next week at Wytheville and then the next at The Dixie Caverns campground where another of our daughters (from Md.) met us.

We heard some great music and some great musicians. We went to Alan Hicks, Galax, the Floyd Country Store, Capo's, and Heartwood.

We ended our trip to Va. by going to another Friday night jam at Alan Hicks, where they serve peach cobbler (cooked in a gigantic cast iron skillet) topped with a huge scoop of ice cream. YUM! On Saturday night we went to the AP Carter Fold before heading out to Gatlinburg and back to Mountain View, Ar. for the autoharp festival.

We were on the road from April 16 to June 7 and our TrailManor provided us a comfortable place to rest and kept us dry and warm.

We are home, rested, cleaned, restocked and ready for the road again.

Wish we could have met you and spent some time with you.

Take care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-v6-SportTrac-TV.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	10085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goinghome.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	10086   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-22 08.30.28.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	10087  
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
clan_salmons

There's a lot of music in those hills and it sounds like you found good helping of it. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It also sounds like you found a great deal on your TM. A bit of a drive to get it.

I'm not to the point of being able to take multi-week trips yet. Give it a few more years and maybe the company will cut me loose. Then we'll head out your way. There's a lot of country we want to see and would like to do it before we get too old. I know too many people who waited too long.

take care,
Stan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
grubbyjeans

Quote:
There's a lot of music in those hills and it sounds like you found good helping of it. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It also sounds like you found a great deal on your TM. A bit of a drive to get it.
Stan
Indeed we did! This odyssey began after we got caught in the aftermath of Sandy. Our trailer got soaked inside so we took some time to get it road ready and went to Arkansas on a lark, just to investigate the Folk Center.

We stumbled into the great music environment there and our lives changed. I came home with a desire to become a better guitar player and have taken up the dulcimer, the mandolin, and harmonica. My wife is working to learn the dulcimer, the guitar, the autoharp, and mandolin.

We loved sitting in on the nightly jams around southwestern Va.

We paid more for the trailer than we'd have paid for age-comparable trailers, but we did get a spanky new one.

Quote:
I'm not to the point of being able to take multi-week trips yet. Give it a few more years and maybe the company will cut me loose. Then we'll head out your way. There's a lot of country we want to see and would like to do it before we get too old. I know too many people who waited too long.

take care,
Stan
You'll get there. I worked just over 6 years for NCR before getting caught in a force reduction and went to Xerox. I worked for them just over 33 years and got caught in a force reduction.

Only two jobs in 38 years and laid-off from both! I said I'm not going back to work!

We were blessed with good health and enough in retirement plans to enable us to do the things we do. My wife says that "retirement is a second childhood, without adult supervision".

Our cup runneth over!

[SIGPIC]http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8372&dateline=1403045 022[/SIGPIC]
2010 Sport Trac -> 2009 2720SL
Travel accessories: Dobro style resonator guitar, Mandolin, Guitar

Albums
Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyjeans View Post

We were blessed with good health and enough in retirement plans to enable us to do the things we do. My wife says that "retirement is a second childhood, without adult supervision".

Our cup runneth over!
+1 grubbyjeans, You could not have said that any better than that !

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Sterman
Site Sponsor

grubbyjeans, that is great that you found an unused and garage-kept '09 TM and are touring some beautiful country to see and hear bluegrass music! To me, that's livin' the dream!