TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Warning signs of bearings overheating so don't damage axle

Ok, now I am getting paranoid. Are there any signs to eliminate any possible damage to the axle. Here is what I did: 1) repack bearings about 2000 miles prior to incident. 2} Checked with feeling the axle every time we stop for fuel. Prior to 2000 miles ago, I repacked prior to leaving home Nov 1st. I also grease using the spinning method at least twice while on the road for the 9000 miles plus. Is there anything else I can do. I have repacked bearing maybe a half dozen times over the past 5 years on various trailers. I have watched youtube videos over and over again, making sure sure I did not miss anything. Should I replace bearings when I repack? I have a new axle on the TM, and is there anything I should do during break in. Any procedure. I am concern about something (loosing an axle while on the road) we have been through happening again.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
TM Pilot

I read about your axle failure on the other thread and we have to answer the question about whether an overheated bearing caused your axle to bend or the bent axle caused your bearings to overheat and fail (lots of stress on wheel bearings and other components when axle bent 30 degrees). From your posts it seems like the latter is the case. A picture of the bent axle would speak volumes.

I don't see a problem with the way you have maintained your bearings. In fact, it seems that you're doing a great job in that area. Seems your axle failure was more an issue of trailer weight and potholes than bearings. It's not unreasonable for a TM's axle loaded to max weight (or more) to bend if a bad enough pot hole is hit at highway speeds. And it sound like you hit two right before the axle failed. And I can imagine that hitting potholes over the years has a cumulative effect.

I once saw a van traveling in front of me lose the rear driver's side tire and brake drum because the tire lugs were loose. We were going about 45mph down a paved county road. The tire and drum flew off the van and bounced about 50 feet in the air and traveled about 1/4 mile down the load before it came to a stop in a field. The amount of energy there was huge. So if your going down the highway at 65mph and the axle bends 30 degrees - even if you pull over right away, the energy of that turning wheel, drum, and bearings at that angle and speed is quickly destroying every component in that area. So I don't think you have to be paranoid about your method of greasing your bearings. Perhaps you should focus on how you load your axle. Do you use a WDH?
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Tampajohn

Appreciate the input, Yes, we use a WDH and I had no water in the camper. It was completely dry. I did have one propane tank that was full inside of it. I try not to keep any more weight than I need including clothes. I had a satellite dish setting on the floor and clothes and some food was about it. We try our best to limit weight as much as possible. Now cumulative effect could have been an issue with hitting pot hole one after another. I am certain, we have covered over 15K miles this past 15 months and this might be a factor with the stress. Just on I 20 after leaving Atlanta, I hit an extremely rough road section and who knows miles of this could be a factor. I do remember hitting a pot hole just prior to the incident. A 10 yr old camper with probably a lot of miles on it, who knows. I know there was a blowout on the passengers side and well as a blow out on the drivers side before I owned it. I guess it is like my old car, who knows when the motor might blow. Just trying to be as cautious as possible. One thing I am considering is a thermal laser thermometer so I can more closely monitor the temperature at the bearing. Maybe the old feel method is not precise enough. Thanks again. John
Old 03-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

john
for what it is worth, short I dropped a rear wheel into a ditch pulling into a driveway at a slow 10 to 15 mph , did not think much of it , was an ole jeep honcho, went to leave and made it about a half mile when the wheel , tire and axle came out of rear end , like you, it bent coming out. just sometimes it is just a bearing's time to go. this is the only time in my life something like this has happened,
maybe it was just your bearing's turn, may never happen again, ,,
all is good now

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

John, I use a laser temp device, check it every stop, road side is always a few degrees warmer than other side. I don't know what is a normal number but do know the warmer the road, the higher reading I get. Anyone know a normal number? Probably like gas mileage, many variables to consider.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Tampajohn

I am going to get one and keep an eye on it. I am such a nerd, maybe I will make a chart with ambient temp, vs axle temp. LOL
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Include average speed also!

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

It does not sound like there was anything you could have done to change it. Sh.. just happens!

I try to grease my bearing by hand every 5k or every year which ever is sooner. I had a outer bearing go back in the 80's. I did every thing right, re-packed it and inspected it about 1,500 miles before, but it went. Was it the wheel seal failed and dirt or water got in the hub or a bad day at the foundry when they poured the steel?? Like you there was no rollers left in the bearing just ground metal. But knock on wood that's been the only bearing.

I know on the cars that had front wheels bearings which were like a camper wheel. I never had a problem and did not do the proper maintenance schedule in re-packing the bearings. I only did it when doing the brakes and I ever had an issue.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
I know there was a blowout on the passengers side and well as a blow out on the drivers side before I owned it.
Interesting. Used TM's have a history of use or abuse from previous owners that can be a link in a failure chain the current owner experiences. And it could take years for a component to fail that was weakened/damaged by a previous owner. And an axle that was overloaded (even one time on one trip) and weakened may not be noticeable by a visual inspection before it fails. And hidden defects can also be present from the factory. When a major component fails, it is often caused by several factors.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
moaboy

TMM, what kind of laser temp device do you use? Any suggestions if you were to recommend what to look for in one? Thanks.

Tags
hubs, temperature