TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
kn1ghtus

Default ideally picking up a 2006 2720 SL on Saturday but NOOB

okay so I have found a good deal (trying to talk him down to 9,000, and pictures look like it's in great order) on a TM in idaho that he is going to drag down here on Saturday for me to look at/buy. I've been poking around and have found a few good ideas of WHAT to check on, but I have a few questions and maybe if people can just point me in the right direction?

1. I want to get a swaybar/electric braking system installed by then. Should I attempt to do this myself? How hard is it? I have a 2007 dodge durango. Should I get a class 4 hitch then as it will tow it says 7400?

2. in my lurking days I saw a forum that talked about what to look for.

3. Having never TOWED anything before (not even how to hook it up!) should I be scare?

4. Should I try to get someone else to pick it up for me and give me some pointers on towing before I attempt to do this without help?

5. is there a forum entry or website you can recommend for towing 101? I mean I've read quite a bit but like even how to hook up, best way to make sure things are setup correctly. Etc...

Cheers, I hope to join the "family" soon!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

1) I had my wiring installed by Ketelsen Campers, at Ward & I-70. Took an hour, and $70. If you have a controller (I ordered a Prodigy), you can give them the connector, and they will wire it in.

You can also consult with them for the hitch, as they carry many. They can also install quickly, I would imagine.

2) Water damage. I believe I have seen where folks have said 2006 models have wood inside the walls. Check for bulges (wood expanding due to water) near any opening (ceiling, door, wall joints, windows). Structural damage (dinged walls, corners). Cracked plumbing under the trailer (lay on your back and look up). Bent leveler jacks. Put water in the fresh-water tank, and check all plumbing, both feeding the faucets, and the drains. Flush the toilet, and make sure it all works. Make sure it is easy to lift each shell. If not, they may have adjustment left in them, or not. Look at the bolts at the end of the lift bars, and see if there is any room left to tighten the bolts.

3) Nothing to worry about. As said to you before, take it to an empty parking lot, and drive around. Turn into painted lanes, and stop part way through. Look to see where the trailer is making its turn, vs. where you turned your truck. Back into painted parking stalls, and see how you do. Do it again. And again. And again. Pay attention to how the trailer tracks your truck around turns. Posts/trees will take out the side of your TM if you cut it too closely. Don't go down the highway over 65, until you are comfortable you can "feel" the trailer, in your gas pedal, your brakes, and any impact in steering. You will likely not really feel it in any of those situations, as TMs tow wonderfully. But, you need to be one with your truck, feeling the difference between no trailer, and a trailer. Practice.

4) check your pm after 1:30 today

5) can't help you there

ENJOY YOUR TM!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
clown9644

I agree that you should probably have the brake controller installed, may save a few bucks by ordering on line but not all that much more with the added benefit of having the dealer who sold and installed nearby.
Hitch- No matter which one you buy it will have a tongue weight less than a TM unless you use a weight distribution hitch. Most only handle 500 pounds without one.
If you have the dealer do all the installs, etc. I would bet they would take you around the block a couple of times to give you towing 101, which is very easy with a TM. Backing up is the tough part and there are videos on You Tube that will teach that.
Don't panic, we all towed for the first time sometime or another but I have to admit Bear cannot do it, even if he is a wonder dog.

Good LuckDave
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
MisterP

Brake controllers should not be described as a "probably should install", with all due respect. Brake controllers, if not supplied by the vehicle manufacturer, are a requirement for all states I can think of if towing a trailer having electric brakes.

It is illegal to tow without it, and also exposes the vehicle owner to liability if an accident occurs and it is proven the vehicle does not have a working brake controller. It should be a considered a critical part of getting ready to tow a Trailmanor or other equivalent trailer.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn1ghtus View Post
....5. is there a forum entry or website you can recommend for towing 101? I mean I've read quite a bit but like even how to hook up, best way to make sure things are setup correctly. Etc....
There is a wealth of information about towing in the Trailer Life Towing Guides. Here is a link to the 2013 Guide. The general towing information is located at the top and the bottom of the guide. Enjoy: http://dcd96xmek71bc.cloudfront.net/...ced%20file.pdf

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I think the class 3 receiver will do the job. Some items you will need.
Ball mount, with a 2" ball. A hitch pin and trailer pin. These keep the ball mount locked into the receiver, and the trailer locked onto the ball. Wal-Mart sells these.
I've attached pictures of what you should have on the back of your Durango and what the trailer should have.
When I picked my 2619 from the dealer, he wouldn't let me leave without a brake controller. That item is an absolute must have before you tow this trailer.
If you really feel that unsure of yourself, it might be worth having someone else tow it for you and then do as LoveToCamp said. Take it to an empty lot and drive it around. Put up some boxes for faux obstacles and test out your turns.
Again, have fun with the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball mount with lock pin.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	8432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer hitch with locking pin.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	724.3 KB
ID:	8433  
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Mike,

That is a wealth of great info. I downloaded the guide just to reeducate myself on some items. Thank you.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I'd say get the controller installed and set(remembering that what they set will differ somewhat with the weight after you load up). It's not the task. But the peace of mind for you as you seem to be a little apprenhisive. A year from now you will not even remember the worried feeling about towing.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I think Clown was meaning "have the dealer install the controller", vs. installing it himself. I don't think Clown was, in any way, indicating a brake controller was optional.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
I think Clown was meaning "have the dealer install the controller", vs. installing it himself. I don't think Clown was, in any way, indicating a brake controller was optional.
If that was the intent, then I misspoke and I apologize. I was confused by the statement, and a lot of readers browse this forum that we never hear from. I just think it is important to be clear in our recommendations for those who may not understand the nuances. My humble opinion, mea culpa.