TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
MikeHead

Default Torsion bar hold down/latch down problem

I have a 97 2720sl all 4 bolts holding this Torsion bar/ latch down bracket fell out. I've tried new 4" galvanized wood bolts same problem. I believe water infiltration has rotted the wood that the bolts screwed into.
Was wondering what the walls are made from and just how thick they are?
Anyone else had this problem? And if so have you found a fix for this problem.
Right now only thing I can think of is using much longer bolts.
MikeHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

If you've got wood rot, longer bolts are only a temporary fix. The factory offered a better fix utilizing 4bolts per bracket instead of the original 2. Can you show a picture of the area you're describing?

On the older units, pre-2003 ish... There is wood filler on the underside, bottom portion of the roofs. On my 2002 model, there is a u shape aluminum channel.
But with the amount of flexing, bounce if you will, while in travel mode down the highway, the screws will over time work there way out. Some of that can be adjusted out with the torsion bar adjustment as well as the hold down clamp at the black release handle screws. There is a small amount of adjustment there.

While traveling one season, I found the screws at one point pulling out at the roof hold down as you relate. With no other remedy while traveling, I used larger diameter and longer screws and that eventually pulled out and gouged out the holes as well.

Others here should be able to provide a repair solution utilizing four lag screws, and longer bracket plate as well. Moves the stress point and redistributes the pull down over a much longer area.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
MikeHead

I'll see if I can get a pic up later, it's at a brother in laws for now. Thanks rvcycleguy. Oh it has 4 bolts per bracket.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHead View Post
I'll see if I can get a pic up later, it's at a brother in laws for now. Thanks rvcycleguy. Oh it has 4 bolts per bracket.
My opinion is that if you have 4 bolts per bracket, it's already been updated by a previous owner. That may make it more problematic. Because if it's coming apart again, then the repair or fix may be more involved. Thing is you can't move the stirrup bracket plate from its position because it won't intersect with the locking mechanism on the lifting arm. Any reposition, even a fraction changes the intersect.

I'll wait for pictures before offering any additional advice.

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 05-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
MikeHead

Best pic I could do for that time of day sorry. Brother in law going to call trail manor and have a chat with them.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I see what your chatting about. I thought it was on the bottom of the roof, which is the stirrup hold down, but your dealing with the underside of the bottom box. There are rivot nuts that can be installed into the bottom. Like an expandable nut or sleeve that is threaded for a machine nut. Not a lag screw that essentially digs or carves itself into the wood or metal and over time can pull out. As you mention, wood rot is probably the culprit there due to the underside is so close to the road surface and rain, wet roads can penetrate over time. Does appear that there is some staining with a wet area. I don't know I would open up that can of worms on what's under the bottom panel or belly cover. I've offered a link for rivot nuts.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fa...%20Nuts%22%7C~

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Not to hijack the thread but how did you embed a picture into your post, instead of the thumbnail attachments?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
MikeHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but how did you embed a picture into your post, instead of the thumbnail attachments?
I copied the link of the pic from my photobucket account into the text box.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHead View Post
Best pic I could do for that time of day sorry. Brother in law going to call trail manor and have a chat with them.
there appears to be a drain sleeve and drain hose at the top of your picture. It also looks like the discoloration is darker near this sleeve. Is it possible that there an interior plumbing problem? As for the pull out of those bolts, can it be reinforced from above, say top of floor (after the source of the damage has been identified)? What is directly above that point (inside the trailer)?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
MikeHead

Couldn't tell you gonzo we've never had water in the tank since we've owned it.
But I 'm sure it did, but the previous owner didn't disclose that little bit of info. From what I see the 2x4 the bolts ran through was rotted pretty bad.
From the front of the wheel well for about a foot. The wood was still on n good shape behind the fridge.