TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2002, 10:01 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Taking our TM Cross Country

Quote:
Bill, Eugene, Paul and Windbreaker:
I've got or rather had a Coleman TE cooler. This summer we used it in both the tow vehicle AND the TM. If we left it plugged into the tow vehicle for even 2 hours accidentally, it would drain the tow vehicle's battery. Seemed to do fine plugged into AC outlet.

Later this summer, upon the return from her trip to Redding, California where outside temp was in excess of 100 deg F, my wife came home with the DC power cable melted! (From a different vehicle no less...)

We've consistantly had problems with this TE cooler and overloading the circuits. It seemed to have performed ok in the TM, but was stuck into the DC socket pretty well when we yanked it out after this summers trip to Arizona. I think its probably in the cooler itself.

I wonder if it isn't worth the investment to get one of the more expensive AC/DC Dometic portable refrigerators???

What're your thoughts on that??? I understand the melting the DC socket issue. I figure it's cooler and NOT socket...

Best,

Gregg
Gregg -

A different view. As I think about it, let me summarize your observations.
   Drains the tow vehicles battery in two hours.
   DC power cord melted
   Dc plug sticks in the socket
   Socket melts

You are right, all of these things point to a defective cooler that is drawing way too much current. I wish I were there, I'd measure the drain for you and we'd be sure. But in the absence of this measurement, I suggest you take the cooler back where you bought it, describe all these things, and ask for a replacement cooler. If they resist, talk about their potential liability from a fire. It should not be a problem. Coleman is a good company.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:08 AM   #2
2619PDX

This cooler is already 5 years old... I do believe it's out of warranty already :-/
NOT a problem. You know it really is interesting how many of these "problems' we all seem to share in common on this board. I guess it just goes to show you that in spite of being separated by many miles, we really all are a small community, aren't we?  But I digress!
I really am trying to decide whether to replace the cooler with another TE, or if I should just step up and buy one of the portable dometic or norcold refrigerators.

I guess I'd better start looking at it from a current draw standpoint, then hadn't I?

Next question, we have a 2619 TM, and it get's pretty crowded on the counters and floor. Where do you guys keep you TE aux cooler when you're camping?

I know, I'm just full of questions today... Sorry ???

Thanks again!

Gregg
Old 11-19-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
grkman1

I kept my Igloo which has a refrig like door on top of the TM's refrig.  It worked out great....almost like a full size refrig between the two.

When traveling, we either kept it in the back of the Jeep plugged in or brought it down next to the refrig if we kept it in the TM.  Usually we have our 9inch TV on top of the frig....we just put it on top of the igloo and it worked out well.

The directions for the Igloo that I have, recommends not to keep it in the tow vehicle more then 2 hours.  Good luck

George
Old 11-19-2002, 11:03 AM   #4
2619PDX

Thanks, George! Appreciate your input. Do you use the DC or the AC adapter for your Igloo?

Gregg
Old 11-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #5
grkman1

Hi Gregg

Actually I have used both, depending on my needs, and what I am running above the frig.  Of course the adapter is only used during electrical hook up time.  I am very happy with the igloo.  check into it

George