TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
paully789

Default suggestions for moving TM by hand

I do not have a wheel on the tongue of my TM. I am looking for suggestions for when I want to move the camper by hand.

Thanks,
Paul
paully789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Two wheel dollys do not work. Really depends on the surface. If level concrete then one of these may work.

For grass I got a very good deal on one of these but have never used it. Do think the bulk of the people who had trouble did not lower it as far as possible to reduce cantilever forces first & tried to force it.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
klpauba

I have a trailer valet (similar/identical to padgett's Northern Tool model). It works well on level concrete but I think it would be a pain on much of an incline or soft surface.

I use it to get the TM in and out of a garage and it works great for me. As padgett suggested, it works best if cranked down as far as possible.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
RogerR

you could try wheel dollys such as the one on amazon

ATD Tools 7466 Heavy Duty Car Dolly Set

PUt one on tongue and others on wheels to roll it back or sideways. I have seen them on tv car repair shows moving cars around a shop.

I have an old wheel for your tongue jack but shipping would be pretty high as it weighs a lot. Maybe get a new one at a local trailer or farm store cheaper.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

See my review of the Trailer Valet.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Your best bet is probably to get another wheel. There is nothing special about the wheel that goes on the trailer jack stem. Take a look at the jack to find the manufacturer's name, then go to their web site to find the proper wheel. Once you know what wheel is needed, you should be able to get a look-alike or exact replacement from an RV place, or from on-line sources like eTrailer.com, pplmotorhomes.com, or even Amazon.com.

To summarize some of the posts above, the TM is heavy. You can probably push it around by hand (I do) -
IF you are moving it on a paved surface (not dirt, gravel, sand, or grass), and
IF the surface is very close to level.

Otherwise you will need some sort of powered trailer-mover.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

One thing: make sure your tires are pumped up before you try to move. The trailer will not move as easily if the tires are low.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

OK I have an electric jack with a flat plate for when in place and one of the HF two wheel jacks on the street side for when I want to move it around just a couple of feet. For that a 6 foot piece of 2x4 is a good lever.

The wheeled jack must be rotated up to open the slide all the way. I do have the swing hitch.

I have the Northern tool dolly (got a very good price far below MSRP) but have a number of other projects in front of it.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
OK I have an electric jack with a flat plate for when in place and one of the HF two wheel jacks on the street side for when I want to move it around just a couple of feet. For that a 6 foot piece of 2x4 is a good lever.

The wheeled jack must be rotated up to open the slide all the way. I do have the swing hitch.

I have the Northern tool dolly (got a very good price far below MSRP) but have a number of other projects in front of it.
Can the electric jack handle a wheel ? It seems as it is not as stable or solid as the oem one with the wheel.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paully789 View Post
I do not have a wheel on the tongue of my TM. I am looking for suggestions for when I want to move the camper by hand.

Thanks,
Paul
As most folks have said it depends on what surface you plan to use it on. I have a trailer dolly....see pic....that I use to maneuver my TM into exact place in garage. But don't get it on incline or it will be hard to control. Also make sure to pump up tires before each use, or at least the start of the season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	13618  

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote