TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Boondocking overnight at a WalMart?

The TM we bought recently is our first RV. I was wondering if there would be any issues if I pulled into a WalMart parking lot and set it up overnight. I think I have read on other boards that folks don't lower awnings or set out lawn chairs like they are really camping at WalMart. I would want to pull in after dark and leave early the next morning. I would need to level it so I could run the fridge on propane to keep batteries from draining.

What do you think? Has anyone done it?

Jim

Old 07-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Not me, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-NY
The TM we bought recently is our first RV. I was wondering if there would be any issues if I pulled into a WalMart parking lot and set it up overnight. I think I have read on other boards that folks don't lower awnings or set out lawn chairs like they are really camping at WalMart. I would want to pull in after dark and leave early the next morning. I would need to level it so I could run the fridge on propane to keep batteries from draining.

What do you think? Has anyone done it?

Jim

.......I've certainly seen plenty of folx doing just that at my local Supercenter. It's w/in 1/2 mile of the expressway. Supercenters are open 24 hours, and I believe (but can't swear to it) they also have security folx.

Wal*Mart sell a Randy McNally Atlas which includes all the stores in the U.S. The directory has a state by state listing with a special symbol for Supercenters. Hwy exit #'s for stores w/in 1 mile of an Interstate exit are shown. Seven columns list the major category of services available.

The one drawback is that the stores aren't shown on the map. The stores near an Interstate exit are very easy to locate. I used the map ocassionally to find a convenient store along my route to resupply.

Denny_A
Old 07-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Freedom

Another thing you might do is check with the customer service counter. They usually have a certain area they would prefer that you park. They are always courteous about it and generally the place where they want you to park is in a less used part of the lot.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
aldebnj

We have done it several times. I do a minimal set up and switch the fridge over to propane for the night. We then go into the store and buy some thing. We just do it to get a quick rest while on the road. There are usually some others doing the same thing and we park near them. We also stay hitched.

I hope this helps and happy camping.

Al
Old 07-23-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Windbreaker

Sure hope you folks are asking someone in management for permission before you spend the night. Please don't cost all of us the grace of these good folks. And make sure you use wood blocks as support for your jacks, they can ruin a parking lot surface fast. Thank you
Old 07-24-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Camping at Wal-Mart

It's a good idea to ask. According to this web site more and more Wal-Mart stores are not allowing overnight RV camping.

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/noparking.html

The site also has a listing by state of FREE places to camp.

Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Jim-NY

Default Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help. I will try it on my way to and from FL. Walmart.com has store locator lookup by zip code which shows them on a map and gives address and phone number. I will call and ask before I stop at any Walmarts. Thanks again for all of your help.

Jim
Old 07-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Ask a Walmart security officer.

We asked a Walmart security officer at our local supercenter, and were told that although it isn't policy, most Walmart supercenters with large parking lots allow overnighters. The problem in our city is that the local laws will not allow it. Always check. This poor woman was having to patrol the parking lot and call the police to ticket or tow campers who undoubtedly thought they were not causing trouble. I repeat, ALWAYS check with the store, and preferably the security officer, not the management staff who may not know the local laws.
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
Jim-NY

Default “Murphy’s Law”

Tucson Carol,

Good point. Thanks.

I would not want to get in trouble after asking the management if it was OK. My local WalMart hires a security company to watch the parking lot. I presume that is SOP.

Jim
Old 09-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
Jim-NY

Default WalMarts worked out great!

We just got back from a great trip to Nova Scotia. We stopped for one night on the way up and one night on way back in WalMarts. It worked out very well for us. Both WalMarts had several other RV’s there and the management welcomed us. It was quick, convenient, and cheap.

On the way up we stopped in Fredericton, NB. There were several exits off the Trans-Canadian Highway for Fredericton and sure enough I chose the wrong one. We stopped in a shopping center to get directions. While the person I asked was giving me directions, another person came up to ask about the TM. When he found out what I was asking he offered to lead me most of the way there. He was going a different direction and told me where to turn left when he turned right. On the way while we were stopped at a light he walked back and said he needed to see us set it up and then led us all the way to WalMart. In the few minutes we took to level the TM and open it up he and his wife gabbed with us as if we were related. Before they left us it was both handshakes and hugs! I have always been impressed with the warm friendly helpfulness of Canadians, but this topped my expectations.

Jim