TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Default Generac IQ2000 et. Al.

Planning a camping trip in spring, and need a generator. Would like to store it I my rear compartment of my 2720SL. Since my trailer (new to me) is stored right now, can't get dimensions.

So two questions:

1) what are the dimensions of the rear storage compartment
2) what gensets are good fits?
2a) DW likes the Generac iq2000 ( made in USA) think it will fit?

Thanks for your help

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Read my article. All of the relevant dimensions are in there but the key is less than 14" wide.

The Generac IQ 2000 is rated the same as a Honda EU 2000 but I suspect the engine is smaller than 97cc. I have not tested one and the power meter is kind of neat but personally I like the Westpro (Westinghouse) WH2400i mainly for the reserve power capacity, enough to run the AC and make coffee.

The Honda is still the standard for most and many have two of them running in parallel but is frankly an older design and from what I have seen is underrated especially for surge power. I have seen larger rated systems overload in cases where the Honda grunts but keeps on going.

I am planing more tests for next year including with the WH2400 and looking more at run time with a 13,500 (or larger) AC, the target being eight hours at night.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Padgett, thank you for you excellent analysis. After thinking through our needs we've concluded we have decided the only thing we want out of the generator is to charge our battery as quietly as possible. The other constraint is keeping the generator lightweight, for the sake of my back.

So, our attention has turned to the Yamaha EF1000i .

It seems to have the advantage for this type of application. The raw dB data I've been able to find suggests it is significantly quieter than the Honda in light load, and is slightly lighter weight. It further has options that make it easier to maintain. I like the fuel shutoff and oil drain designs.

Now the question is, is my assessment right?

Is the 900 watt rating enough for battery charging? It it really the quietest solution? Can I lift it?

Trying to figure that out next. Then figure out what orice I should wait for.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

For the cost of the gen set you can get a nice solar system and no fuel to carry.
With the on board converter it will take about 6 hours of gen time to raise your battery(s) from 50% to 90% or there about. You won't get to 100%.

A separate smart charger powered by the gen set will cut that time down and get you to a 100%.

A pair of 150 watt solar panels off ebay will run you about $330 the last time I checked. Weight with a pvc pipe support stands will be about 25# each. A name brand charge controller, PWM, will be about $150 with remote temp and battery voltage sense. The temp probe is another $28 about. Add in about $50 for good marine grade tinned wire and some MC-4 connectors. Our panels ride on the couch when traveling to the next CG.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Chuckle. I guess I asked for that. Yes solar is the quietest, hands down. However, we favor forest camping. I tried to convince myself solar would work, but could not persuade myself I could harvest the 30ah or so I'd need daily. I may still wind up adding a portable panel.

Also been flirting with the idea of integrating thermopiles into the furnace and fridge. The math says there should be 30-50 Ah per day that could be harvested.

But for now, going to get a gen and charge once every other day.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Most of the majors have a lightweight 1KW model. Avoid the two-strokes, they are noisy.

Guess I am a little biased and tend to price shop but unless you get a real deal the Honda EU1000i is less expensive than the Yamaha and easier to sell if you decide you need something else.

Major things you want is "quiet" both sound and electrically. Under 65 db and 3% THD is what I look for.

Personally, I like the Westinghouse products such as the WH1000i, they have come a long way in ease of starting and reliability.

BTW - back in the day small engines had magnetos and required a strong pull. Today they are electronic and just need a gentle pull. Only caveat: wait about 15-30 seconds after turning the fuel on for the float bowl to fill (it's gravity fed). That is the secet to 1-2 pull starting.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Agree with you about two stroke. Can't find test data or specs on WH1000 noise levels. Yamaha seems to be quietest in class. Am I mistaken?

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Yamaha EF1000 Sound Output 53 dbA at 25% load / 59 dbA at 50% load
See here.

Yamaha says "Noise Level (1/4 Load - Rated Load 47- 57 dBA" so they are claiming 5 db less but the rated load is 900W (Yamaha) vs 1000W so a bit of apples and oranges.

Might also want to look here. Normal outdoor converation is about 60 db so anything over 10 feet away that is less will not be noticable for most people other than a hum.

Am looking into a muffle extension but there are three components involved: intake, internal (piston, valves, etc), and exhaust. An air cleaner will muffle the intake, some gensets have foam unsulation in the case to quiet the internals, and a few have more than one muffler to quiet harmonics.

I am looking into adding an external muffler and a sound/rair resistant covering but that is for the next series of tests.

Can say that mine cannot be heard over the AC which is my prime use.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Padgett, you raise a great question. Assuming that the battery is being bulk charged, the stock charger on the TM2720 is putting out about 600 watts or so. That's 66% load for the Yamaha ef1000 and 60% load for the Honda eu1000, while about 40% load for the 2000 watt products (1600 continuous). The lower the %load the lower the noise. I wonder if there's a curve?

In any case it would seem that the 2000 watt generators should make about 55 dB while the 1000 watt class would be perhaps a bit higher than that. Then as the charge cycle moves to maintain, the gen outputs might drop, until the 1000 watt class is operating around 25% and the 2000 watt class is idling. Still giving a very slight advantage to the 2000 watt class.

All theoretical of course, unless someone can do an a/b comparison.

All of that said, you've persuaded me to take another look at the Honda 1000 watt unit. maybe the difference in noise ratings doesn't practically matter.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

It is all really subjective, the market is really crowded. Many lesser brands are badge engineered and use the same manufacturers but one thing I look for is at least a 2 year warrety.

Nice thing about the Honda is that it is pretty much the standard for RVs and there is a ton of information online including service manuals.

Big thing is to drain the gas if not going to be using for a while. Else StaBil is your friend.