TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Steppy

Default Maiden TM Camping Trip A Success

We bought our TM last Dec and just had our first camping trip with it at Bethpage Campground in Urbana, VA, about 3.5 hours from our home. The TM towed extremely well and our 2006 Highlander TV had no problem pulling it. Bethpage had thousands of campers and golf carts were running all over the place. We went with friends, but I'd prefer a more wilderness type campground. We had a good time nonetheless and were thankful for the TM's great A/C in the 90 degree heat.

I had a panic moment a week ago when testing the Thetford and it leaked under the TM. The wife was none too pleased saying I should have tested it sooner. I guess she forgets I was installing new brake assemblies, bearings and a lift kit and repairing a roof leak in my spare time

Come to find out it was installed wrong. Evidently the last owner pulled the toilet and appears to have pulled the blade valve off and when reinstalling it, reversed the tracks holding the nylon wedges that hold the Thetford in place and the wedges were backwards facing the wall! No wonder it leaked. It couldn't be held in place by the wedges. After righting that problem I discovered that the left bolt was lower than the right because the pipe and flange were installed cockeyed, so I couldn't use the 3.4 cm nut spacing from the floor and had to experiment, pulling and reinstalling the Thetford 5 times until it seated correctly. Next time I pull it (and I hope it's not soon) I'll measure the left nut spacing to the floor for future reference.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Sometimes we underestimate the confusion our predecessor owners are capable of. Glad you figured it out.

To your point about being woodsier, we used to love Cunnningham Falls and Fort Fredrick state parks up your way (no hookups, though).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Steppy

Yes indeed. I've found a few. BTW our 2006 Highlander did a great job pulling our TM last weekend. Gas mileage wasn't that great, 14.5 MPG +/-, but she towed and tracked well. We're booked for two weeks at Beaver Hollow campground in Ossipee, NH, . Full hookups WES, shady lots, pools etc for $35/day. That will be a 600 mile+ journey. We're going to take a scenic route and mosey up there. That'll be a real test.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Bigbit

If you go out to eat in the Ossipee area, there's a place that has BBQ not too bad for the north, called the Yankee Smokehouse, in West Ossipee. It isn't the best BBQ you'll ever have, but it is pretty good and one of the better restaurants in the area.

Before we moved to Southern CA, we used to have a trailer on a seasonal site in Wakefield, one town south of Ossipee. We used to go to the Yankee Smokehouse about once a month - never had a bad meal. This was 11 years ago, but it still gets pretty fair reviews on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yankee-smokehouse-west-ossipee
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
Yes indeed. I've found a few. BTW our 2006 Highlander did a great job pulling our TM last weekend. Gas mileage wasn't that great, 14.5 MPG +/-, but she towed and tracked well. We're booked for two weeks at Beaver Hollow campground in Ossipee, NH, . Full hookups WES, shady lots, pools etc for $35/day. That will be a 600 mile+ journey. We're going to take a scenic route and mosey up there. That'll be a real test.
Glad to hear things are working out. I think you'll find mileage to be about 16, but it depends on where and how fast you go, of course. Gas mileage on short segments can vary quite a lot, and the pump is what counts, of course. The scenic route sounds like a great idea, especially if that means avoiding the big city.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... a 600 mile+ journey, scenic route and mosey ...
That's going to be a long day. We've done it, but now that I'm getting old and creaky, I would probably break it into two days. Let us know how that works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Glad your trip went well, our maiden six month trip with the TM is off to a good start...getting at least 8 days on a battery. Our daughter spent 10 months camped near Leonardtown MD a couple of years ago.
Good a little cold for a FL girl though.. a week of single digits at night for a week in our other camper was a bit much!!!!!

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Steppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
That's going to be a long day. We've done it, but now that I'm getting old and creaky, I would probably break it into two days. Let us know how that works out.

Bill
We're considering that Bill. We've made the trip once or twice a year but without a tow. We'll leave early in the AM and have a campsite or two picked out along the way if needed.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Steppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
If you go out to eat in the Ossipee area, there's a place that has BBQ not too bad for the north, called the Yankee Smokehouse, in West Ossipee. It isn't the best BBQ you'll ever have, but it is pretty good and one of the better restaurants in the area.

Before we moved to Southern CA, we used to have a trailer on a seasonal site in Wakefield, one town south of Ossipee. We used to go to the Yankee Smokehouse about once a month - never had a bad meal. This was 11 years ago, but it still gets pretty fair reviews on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yankee-smokehouse-west-ossipee
Thanks for the tip. I'm familiar with the Yankee Smokehouse as I have family in E. Wakefield and have been going up in that area every year to visit family. My finger licking, tender, smoked BBQ ribs, smoked Boston Butt and chicken and beef brisket beats the Yankee Smokehouse hands down and I'll be BBQing when I'm up there )
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Bigbit

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I'm familiar with the Yankee Smokehouse as I have family in E. Wakefield and have been going up in that area every year to visit family. My finger licking, tender, smoked BBQ ribs, smoked Boston Butt and chicken and beef brisket beats the Yankee Smokehouse hands down and I'll be BBQing when I'm up there )
Sounds great! What time should we be there?

Kidding aside, I have a long history with Wakefield. When I was a kid, we had a camp on Great East Lake off Witchtrot Rd., about a mile west of the Maine state line. We stayed there during the summer until my mom had health issues in the late 60's. We used to go to Sarah's Spa, the local soda jerk and general store in Sanbornville. Great place.

My dad's cousin, at about the same time, bought a huge parcel of land in E. Wakefield, dammed up a river where there had once been a pond, and formed what is today known as Belleau Lake, and built many of the cabins around it.

In 1989, I returned with my family and camped as a seasonal at Lake Ivanhoe campground for 10 years before moving to the west coast. We used to frequent places like Poor People's Pub, the Cuckoo's Nest, and the Pine River Steakhouse, as well as the Yankee Smokehouse and a few other places. I was an avid bass fisherman and used to fish Great East, Lovell, Balch, Belleau, Wentworth, and Winnepesaukee.

We do miss that area, except the black flies and mosquitoes!