TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Upper Stillwater, Duchesne, Utah

This Forest Service campground is at the end of 30 miles of two lane blacktop running north from Duchesne, Utah. It's right at the edge of the High Uintas Wilderness.

Facilities are good for a remote Forest Service campground: the roads and sites are paved, the sites are well maintained, and there are nice restrooms with flush toilets. Drinking water is available but there are no showers or hookups. Some of the sites are reservable through the federal system (despite what the attached link says) but more than half of the sites are available first come first served. There is a store/cabin operation nearby...sometimes...the ranger told us it was closed "this year". $10 a night is the fee.

It's in a beautiful mountainous setting, cool at night even in August. The only jarring note if you're looking for a natural setting is the immense concrete wall of Upper Stillwater dam just up the creek from the campground. But, it impounds a beautiful lake and if you get on the downward side of the campground you don't see the dam.

Even on a summer Friday night the campground was only about a third full. I liked it and I'll go back if I'm in the area.

http://www.publiclands.org/explore/s...ate=UT&id=1087
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 164.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	2896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 175.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	2897  
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Very nice camp setting! Beautiful!!!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
BrigCA61

I agree with Countrygirl! This is my kind of camping!! Thank you for sharing that and the nice photos. What a bargain too, at $10.00 a night! Did you find most of the forest campgrounds were that nice, with concrete pads, etc? Not too many in CA are that nice... mostly dirt roads and pads.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Bluegrass

The "16 foot RV limit" listed on the website is a bit of a puzzlement.

There are many NF campgrounds in Utah that have similar facilities - no electric or sewer but nice pads, vault toilets, and drinking water nearby. One of our favorites is Granite Flat Campground in American Fork Canyon just south of Salt Lake City. Looks very similar to your pictures. But because it is so near the SLC - Provo corridor, it can fill up on most weekends in the summer. Check ReserveAmerica.com for reservations But after Labor day it is first come first served and much more available.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I didn't notice the 16 foot limit! That is out there. There were at least 2 behemoth 5th wheelers in the campground who didn't see it either. The two lane blacktop in is a little steep and curvy but I can't imagine anyone with a TM and a decent TV having any trouble getting up there.

BrigCA61,
The facilities were nicer than what I expected for a NFS site that far from "civilization". We have stayed in many in Colorado and New Mexico and we weren't expecting flush toilets or paved sites. I will have to try others in Utah know that I know they can be super nice.

The biggest problem I have with the NFS campsites is that it is very hard to find good info about them without showing up at the local ranger station and asking. There are websites but often they are out of date or wrong. It makes it hard to plan in advance. But, the rangers are always super helpful - for example, we had planned to stay at the NFS sites near Hanna, but they warned us off if we weren't ATVers saying that was a major area for ATVing and not the quietest.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

A great thing about TrailManors is that there are possibilities that open up by saying "travel trailer" or "folding trailer" at the right time. There are some great Maryland campgrounds with a 27 foot limit, where I wouldn't want to say anything like "30ft".
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote