TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
amijab

Default Just purchased 3124kb...now what!

We are sooo excited! We just drove to a neighbor state and purchased a used 3124kb. We even camped in it on the way home. However we are pretty clueless about some of the systems. For example, I am sort of not wanting to use the toilet...I have read stories on this forum of them leaking and stinking etc. I will admit though that I would love it once in a while. Does anyone else just use the bathroom for changing their clothes😜.
Next, how do I get the heater to work? I do have a binder full of Manuels and papers but I still do not understand.
Third, ummm I know nothing about how to use those propane cylinders ...like how to light them, turn it on, use the oven etc
And lastly, the batteries... I am guessing I need to recharge them before our trip next week to Montana (Glacier wahooo).
Any help for us newbies would be great. We know how to hook it up, put it up, take it down. It is like a glorified tent right now.
Thanks
amijab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default Toilet

Here's a tutorial on the toilet we found useful.

We use the aqua-kem blue, and half to a full 8 oz bottle every recharge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great for controlling oders. We use a plug-in air freshener when we have hookups, use the bathroom fan occasionally as needed, but we make full use of our toilet. My advice would be try it before you give up on it. I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be. I've done a lot of modifications on the trailer, but I don't see the need to fix this.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
amijab

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
Here's a tutorial on the toilet we found useful.

We use the aqua-kem blue, and half to a full 8 oz bottle every recharge.

It works great for controlling oders. We use a plug-in air freshener when we have hookups, use the bathroom fan occasionally as needed, but we make full use of our toilet. My advice would be try it before you give up on it. I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be. I've done a lot of modifications on the trailer, but I don't see the need to fix this.
You are probably right. But I forgot to mention the trailer is 11 years old so my chances of having a problem with seals etc. are probably high. We purchased a camper to make camping easier so I just don’t want to make it a pain. I will look into that aqua stuff.
Thanks!
amijab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Ours is 11 years old also, and we did have a very small leak last fall.
You could/should use this
and then you could fill the toilet with water and see how it did.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Ours is 16 years old. I'm not aware on any leaks. Maybe the previous owner fixed any that occured.

Remove the ceiling vent trims during a rainstorm and check for leaks. While most of the trailer can recover from leaks well, that panel on the kitchen side wall is word and can rot and you won't see it. It's a real pain to replace.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

My Thetford Electra-Magic 80 is about 14 years old and doesn't seem to have a problem. On our first boondocking trip together, it held up for 4 days, with a couple using it, and we're both around 5'10" and not thin. Use the recommended chemical, and if it smells, use more.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You've gotten several answers about the toilet. I would also urge you to check the Trail Manor Technical Reference Library at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=42, and specifically the tutorial at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2354

Let me try to hit your other questions.

Quote:
... I know nothing about how to use those propane cylinders ...like how to light them, turn it on, use the oven etc
Well, you don't light the cylinders, of course. You simply turn on the handwheels, which allow propane to flow to the gas appliances (stove top, oven, furnace, water heater, etc). You can look up the term "switchover" to find out how the system changes tanks when one gets empty. Again, there is a tutorial in the Technical Reference Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amijab View Post
... how do I get the heater to work?
The furnace (aka heater) is easy. There is a small square box that houses a thermostat, probably around the kitchen sink or refrig area. On the top of the box is a slider tab. Simply slide it to the right, to your desired temperature. Assuming the gas is turned on, the circulating fan will begin to run, and in 10 seconds or so, furnace will light itself. To turn the furnace off, slide the tab to the left, being sure that you push it until it clocks.

Quote:
And lastly, the batteries... I am guessing I need to recharge them before our trip next week to Montana (Glacier wahooo).
Yes, the batteries should be fully charged before you leave home. Whenever you are plugged in to shore power (i.e., a campground power connection or a home outlet), the batteries will charge automatically. When you are running down the road, the tow vehicle will maintain battery charge through the electrical connection cord from the trailer, but it can't supply enough current to handle heavy loads - specifically the refrigerator. Again, look through the Reference Library - it is there for a purpose.

Hope these thoughts help.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

You've gotten several answers about the toilet. I would suggest you check out the Trail Manor Technical Reference Library at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=42, and specifically the tutorial at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2354. A lot of TM operations are covered in the Library.

Let me try to hit your other questions.

Quote:
... I know nothing about how to use those propane cylinders ...like how to light them, turn it on, use the oven etc
Well, you don't light the cylinders, of course. You simply turn on the handwheels, which allow propane to flow to the gas appliances (stove top, oven, furnace, water heater, etc). You can look up the term "switchover" to find out how the system automatically changes over to the full tank when the first one gets empty. Again, there is a tutorial in the Technical Reference Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amijab View Post
... how do I get the heater to work?
The furnace (aka heater) is easy. There is a small square box that houses a thermostat, probably mounted on a cabinet face around the kitchen sink or refrig area. On the top of the box is a slider tab. Simply slide it to the right, to your desired temperature. The circulating fan will begin to run, and in 10 seconds or so, and assuming the gas is turned on, and furnace will light itself. To turn the furnace off, slide the tab to the left, being sure that you push it until it clicks.

Quote:
Yes, the batteries should be fully charged before you leave home. Whenever your TM is plugged in to shore power (i.e., a home outlet or a campground power connection), the batteries charge automatically. When you are drivinging down the road, the tow vehicle will maintain battery charge through the electrical connection cord from the trailer, but it can't supply enough current to handle heavy loads - specifically the refrigerator. Again, look through the Reference Library - it is there for a purpose.

Hope these thoughts help.

Bill
Old 06-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #9
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

I'll add to what Bill said. When attempting to use anything fed by propane, the following should be observed:

1) newer propane tanks have safety valves built in. As such, opening the valve should not be an abrupt process. a gentle 1/4 turn is usually all that is needed. (Quickly opening the valve may cause it to shut off internally). Had that happen on the propane tank for my grill a time or 2.

2) system should be bled before attempting to start furnace or water heater

- to bleed, open the propane tank(s) approximately 1/4 turn or so. Go inside the trailer and light one of the stove burners. this may take a moment or two. Once lit, allow to burn for a bit (until the flame is uniform). light the other burners as well. (be sure the trailer is ventilated (fantastic fan works for this). Once bled, shut off burners and allow to cool before lowering the stove cover (if present).

3) before starting water heater, make sure it is full.

- if you are dry camping, ensure your holding tank has water (press test on panel on front of kitchen sink cabinet). Turn on water pump (switch on front of kitchen cabinet). and wait until pump turns off (switch can remain on for now). open hot water faucet and run a bit to ensure good flow). Now turn on switch on front of cabinet (switch is usually red and mounted on left side). Switch should illuminate when heating

- if camping with hook-ups, connect "city" water to inlet on outside of camper (street-side toward front) and turn water on at spigot. Go in and open hot water until flows without sputtering. Turn water heater switch on (as in "dry camping). (NOTE: water pump is not necessary and should not be run when hooked up to "city" water)

4) to run furnace (as mentioned previously), move thermostat to a setpoint greater than ambient temperature. Fan will come on. After delay (I think 5 minutes) the igniter will be heard. Once lit, burner can be heard (though possibly faintly).

At the end of the trip, before closing up, turn off heater and gas supply, then light stove to burn residual gas from lines. Allow burners time to cool before lowering stove cover (if present). If furnace was used, set it back to it's coldest setting. After turning off the water pump (dry-camping) or "city" water, open faucets to get water out of lines.

NOTE: the above does not constitute a full checklist of the setup and teardown processes.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Good add, Gonzo. Thanks for taking the time to do it - it was needed. Let me suggest a couple changes.

In para 3,
Quote:
Now turn on switch on front of cabinet (switch is usually red and mounted on left side). Switch should illuminate when heating.
The switch actually illuminates while the controller is in the process of igniting the burner. When the burner ignites, the light goes out. I call it the "trying to light" light.

In para 4,
Quote:
to run furnace, move thermostat to a setpoint greater than ambient temperature. Fan will come on. After delay (I think 5 minutes) the igniter will be heard.
In my TM, at least, the delay is more like 10-15 seconds. During this time, the controller is using a "sail switch" to confirm that the fan is up to speed. It takes the fan a few seconds to move the sail, but 5 minutes would be tough to swallow.

Just FYI ...

Bill