TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #71
dw8ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
Don;

Can you supply the information (if it is still in your TM) from the "as shipped" sticker inside the kitchen or sink cabinet door?...

...Also, were most of the options you listed above installed on the TM when you bought it? Were they factory installed?

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry,
This going to be a great database when you finish it. My weights on the 'as-shipped' sticker are as follows:

GVRW:............ 4217#
UVW:.............. 3213#
26 Gal. H2O:..... 216#
LP Gas 9.5 Gal.:...40#
CCC:................ 748#

You asked about my options. The following options from my list were not factory installed. These are my best guess for the weights of each:

Unmounted spare w/ tube:... 20#
Food Shelving Modification: ....2#
HDTV & Mount:...................... 5#
WDH - Equal-i-zer Brand:..... 92#
2 Folding Chairs:..................10#
1 Alum. Folding Table:............5#
Gear packed in TM:............. 300#
TOTAL:.............................. 434#

I hate to break this info up, but I have one more weight (tongue Wt.)coming which I won't have it till Friday.

How will we be able to access this data and when will you start making it available?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #72
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Actual Weight of My TM-The latest revision-10/16/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
Jerry,
This going to be a great database when you finish it. My weights on the 'as-shipped' sticker are as follows:

GVRW:............ 4217#
UVW:.............. 3213#
26 Gal. H2O:..... 216#
LP Gas 9.5 Gal.:...40#
CCC:................ 748#

How will we be able to access this data and when will you start making it available?
Don;

Attached is the latest revision to the spreadsheet (which includes your recent information) I'm still groping with the best way to display the data.

You can always find the latest revision by looking under the forum "General Discussions" at the thread title "Actual Weight of My TM" then click on the attachment symbol (paper clip). That will give you a list of all attachments. Look for the latest "TM GTWx" and click on it to open.

Eventually I think Bill will figure out a way to keep it in the reference library.

Thanks for your input. I hope I entered it correctly. I am awaiting your tongue weight and will enter that when it is available.

BTW:

Quote:
Certified Weight of above load taken at RAC Materials, LLC in Tomball, TX.
All weights are with TV and TM Connected:

TV Front Axle = 2420#
TV both Axles = 5380#
TV Back Axle & TM Axle = 6080#
TM Axle only = 3260#
From this data I get that your GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) is either 2420+6080 = 8500# or 5380+3260 = 8640#. I suspect the 140# discrepancy is the effect of the WDH and is an indication of the weight added to the TM axle by the WDH spring bar force.

Because of the way a WDH works, your actual axle weight measurements are biased in a way that adds more weight to the TV front axle, removes some weight from the TV rear axle and adds more weight to the TM axle.

The actual numbers can be figured out mathematically but we would need 1)the length of the TV wheel base, 2) the distance from the TV rear axle to hitch ball, 3) the distance from the hitch ball to the spring bar rear anchor points, 4) the distance from the TM hitch ball to TM axle and finally, the force of the spring bars pulling down on the TM frame.

This would allow us to calculate the lever arms (moments) and determine how much a weight is added to the TM axle.

Too much trouble IMHO but interesting to a geek like me as I play with the physics of trailer towing.

Regards,

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW3.pdf (48.3 KB, 420 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #73
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Jerry,

I guess that you missed post #63. I added my actual weights.

Trailer Axle.........................3440#
Trailer tongue weight..............490#

Gross trailer weight...............3930#
(No WDH used)

My GTW from 2008 was 4103# but now I carry my generator, tables, matt, EZ-Up and chairs in the TV.
Wayne
Old 10-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #74
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Actual Weight of My TM-The latest revision-10/17/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Jerry,

I guess that you missed post #63. I added my actual weights.

Trailer Axle.........................3440#
Trailer tongue weight..............490#

Gross trailer weight...............3930#
(No WDH used)

My GTW from 2008 was 4103# but now I carry my generator, tables, matt, EZ-Up and chairs in the TV.
Wayne
I sure did! Sorry!!! Now I wonder who else I missed.

Here is the revision including your information.

Thanks for the Heads-Up.

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW3a.pdf (48.6 KB, 277 views)
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #75
dw8ite

Quote:
I am awaiting your tongue weight and will enter that when it is available.

From this data I get that your GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight) is either 2420+6080 = 8500# or 5380+3260 = 8640#. I suspect the 140# discrepancy is the effect of the WDH and is an indication of the weight added to the TM axle by the WDH spring bar force.
Jerry:

I finally got around to weighing my tongue. It weighs 486# with the TM level and unloaded. Note that all other weights furnished were taken in the loaded condition.

Also, even with your explanation, I don't understand the 140# discrepancy. The weights were all taken as I moved from one position to another on the scales and, seems to me that the two scenarios would have to be the same. I think maybe the "weigher" rounded each figure slightly and the 104# is an accumulation of rounding. Note that the weigh slip was hand written and not stamped and certified.

Lastly, I like your starting spreadsheet, but I can see why you indicated you were struggling with it. You will almost have to specify how you want it weighed to minimize the type of data you receive.

Good Luck,
Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #76
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
You can always find the latest revision by looking under the forum "General Discussions" at the thread title "Actual Weight of My TM" then click on the attachment symbol (paper clip).

Eventually I think Bill will figure out a way to keep it in the reference library.
You bet we'll put it in the Library! This is exactly the kind of thing that belongs there, and this is a particularly valuable data base.

We'll put it in the Library whenever you are ready. However, once it is in the Library, it is harder to update - not impossible, just harder. Do you want to let it settle down a bit, both in format and in content, before we do it? Give me a ping whenever you are ready.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #77
Jim&Joan

Quote:
Jerry:

I finally got around to weighing my tongue. It weighs 486# with the TM level and unloaded. ...

Good Luck,
Is your TM level when hitched? Seems to get a valid tongue wt. you have to have the TM in the same attitude as when hitched. So, however many inches your tongue is above ground on the hitch is where you need it to be when you weigh it.

When using the single scale and beam, the beam needs to be level, also, right? So the fulcrum point needs to be the same ht. as the scale on level ground. The tongue needs to be very centered between the fulcrum and the scale load point. And then you need to subtract 1/2 the weight of the beam.

I know the ideal attitude of the TM when towing is level, but if your setup is off level, you need to weigh it in that position.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #78
dw8ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Joan View Post
Is your TM level when hitched? Seems to get a valid tongue wt. you have to have the TM in the same attitude as when hitched. So, however many inches your tongue is above ground on the hitch is where you need it to be when you weigh it.

When using the single scale and beam, the beam needs to be level, also, right? So the fulcrum point needs to be the same ht. as the scale on level ground. The tongue needs to be very centered between the fulcrum and the scale load point. And then you need to subtract 1/2 the weight of the beam.

I know the ideal attitude of the TM when towing is level, but if your setup is off level, you need to weigh it in that position.
Jim & Joan:
Thanks for checking me. The trailer hitch weight was with the trailer level. Also, when hitched to WDH the trailer is level.

I did use a fulcrum beam with single scale, except I call the point between the jack and the scale the fulcrum (pivot point). BTW, the weight only varied slightly when I jacked the beam higher than level, say 1/2 bubble would mean about 4-5#/2=2-2.5#.

I think the weight is good for publication.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #79
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Actual Weight of my TM

Here is the latest version of the TMGVWR spread sheet.

It includes the recent posting by M&MHokie on the weights of their 2009.5 2720/Tundra combination.

Still haven't figured a way to simplify this thing.

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW4a.pdf (57.3 KB, 551 views)