TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2002, 12:41 AM   #1

Default First look and somewhat worried

After doing my research and reading about TrailManor, I got my first hands-on look last week. I had been reading about the velcro strips and wondered what people were talking about. The salesman made the mistake of pulling up the strip in the front by the door. I had assumed that the bottom of the shell had some kind of U shape that came up and partially sealed the unit. Was I wrong. I looked down between the shells and saw the ground. So, there are several inches that this velcro padding must cover and seal against weather, insects, and anything else I don't want in the trailer. Can someone just put their arm up from outside, push the velcro aside and reach anything? Keep in mind, I only saw this opening a brief second until the salesman closed it. Should I worry about this or is there something I don't know?
Old 09-18-2002, 01:13 AM   #2
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Re: First look and somewhat worried

Unless the trailer was setting at an odd angle or something, there is no way that someone could reach up inside. If they had a very small hand, or something, maybe. Keep in mind that the velcro panels have wood in them as well, so unless the very small handed person knows how TrailManors are constructed, it feels hard when they would touch the flap. It does a pretty good job of sealing so I wouldn't worry about much getting in.

Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:27 AM   #3
hal

The flaps are held down by velcro strips that run the length of the front of the trailer on each side. Have you noticed how difficult it is to "unlatch" two joining pieces of velcro that are an inch or two in length. Consider the holding power that this entire strip contains.  Then consider that the adjoining strips are "around the corner" from being a direct pull.  This makes the attachment even stronger.  As to someone gaining access to your trailer by unlatching this flap, I don't think so.  The area covered by the flap is so narrow that an open hand may be able to push against the flap but the fingers wouldn't be strong enough to "tear the flap" connection open.  It would take more than fingers (a fist) being rammed against it and there just isn't enough room to ram a fist without injuring it.  I don't think that even a pice of wood (2 x 4) being rammed into the flap would cause the flap to readily give away.

Hal
Old 09-18-2002, 07:41 AM   #4

I was reading the posts from the past few months.  Back in April of this year, there is a posting about pets and the possibility of pets falling through these openings if the velco gave way or was pushed up.   Exactly how wide is this opening if people are that concerned?   Another poster further back states that someone could reach in the trailer near the door and even unlock the doors.  What is going on here?  Now, I am getting concerned.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
KB7OUR

I suppose if someone wants to get in bad enough they can do just about anything. If they tried poking around with mine, they would risk loosing a few fingers or even a hand in the process.

The 2720SL has a 6-8 inch vinyl flap with a wood insert that covers the front opening between the back of the couch and the bottom of the upper section to form a shelf. It's pretty sturdy and our experience is that you can put several pounds of stuff up there with no risk of it collapsing. I can't see how small pets would pose any problem. The side flaps that cover the opening between the upper and lower sections are maybe 1 inch wide so not much room to pose any problem. Go see one for yourself so you can decide whether this design is acceptable or not. It's just fine for us.

Wade (had a 2720SL, getting a 3023)

Old 09-18-2002, 09:06 AM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I am not aware of these posts you speak of, but unless they are talking about very 1st generation TMs I can say without a doubt , that only a small snake or lizard would fall through the gap, and there is no way that someopne could reach the door handle to unlock it unless they had stretchy arms and can move like Gumby.  Someone is feeding you a line, and unless this is joke post, there are a great many TM owners that will bear this out.  To say that the velcro gave way. or was pushed up was obviously posted by a person without a TM.  Take another look at the gap and judge for yourself....but to worry is not warranted.
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:47 AM   #7
2619PDX

I'm a new TM owner, but having used it this summer, and having had to pull this velcro up to collapse the unit, let me add to those who've already responded by saying - the holding power of these Velcro'd flaps is NOT a problem. Yes, IF these flaps are up - after set up, yes you CAN see the ground, but no human or animal will fall through this opening. (papers maybe...)

I can also say, having camped in Arizona at 110 degree's for over a week, and running the wall a/c in my litttle 2619, that it is VERY WELL insulated in spite of these flaps. We had no bugs or anything else.

Speaking personally, TM's are very well engineered, designed and built. If you want a trailer that tows easily, set's up quickly, and is comfortable with a spacious floor plan, then buy the TrailManor. You won't regret your decision!
Old 09-18-2002, 10:12 AM   #8
tipper

No camper is secure.  Velcro flaps or not is of little consequence.

Entry to the TM is indeed possible by pushing open the flap by the door and, sure, one could shove a hand up through the Velcro'ed pad just as one armed with some physical strength could force open a door on most campers.

Probably a pet primate would be able to figure out the Velcro pads, and it would just use the door knob anyway.  No one has ever reported a pet problem with the Velcro pads.  The Velcro seems to do a pretty good job against insects in my experience and we've camped where all lights must be off if you open the door at night.

A lot of opinions re the TM really depend on where one is coming from.  If you are/were a tent camper or pop up owner then you may see things differently from someone owning a conventional RV and from those not having previously camped at all.  

Old 09-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #9

We have a 3124KS. The space behind the slideout is approximately 8" - 10". We also have a 20lb Maine coon cat that enjoys walking and lying on the flap that covers the opening. Unfortunately, the flap is plenty strong to hold the beast. Not only is that flap held down with velcro, there is a latch on each end to keep it closed. When the flaps are down and in place, nothing gets in.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:48 PM   #10
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
We have a 3124KS. The space behind the slideout is approximately 8" - 10". We also have a 20lb Maine coon cat that enjoys walking and lying on the flap that covers the opening. Unfortunately, the flap is plenty strong to hold the beast. Not only is that flap held down with velcro, there is a latch on each end to keep it closed. When the flaps are down and in place, nothing gets in.
So, to test this hypothesis, I went out to my 2720SL and was inside in less than one minute! Through the end flap. The one with the twist latch on either end. I started the velcro loosening by curling my fingers under the velcro near the middle, and worked in both directions with both hands. Then reached in an released both latches. Stepped on the frame, stood up inside and popped in using a "western roll" onto the couch.

Less than one minute! Don't tell anybody, ok? That's a good reason for a big dog. Like mine.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote