TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default Ransom ware

My laptop got infected on July 5th with a ransom ware virus. No idea where I got it, but I am on this forum a lot....So, beware. Since my laptop is eight years old, I am going to buy a new laptop as I was about due anyway. Very pisstyfing that is for sure. I have three different anti-virus software programs that I keep up to date, but that did not stop it. My IT guy said about all you can due is wipe the drive and install a new operating system. Just a heads up for folks.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Depends on your settings. I find that Windows Defender plus EMET set "paranoid" and running from a non-privileged account works well.

BTW Defender can be set to run a full scan at the BIOS level (needs a restart).
Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I have been running avast free since the early 2000's and have not had an issue. Now its avast and MS defender

The two slow down the computer.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Why I use two products designed to play together, one a scanner/heuristics and the other a behavior blocker/integrity manager. That plus the UAC does a pretty good job IMNSHO.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default Which Operating System?

Marco Polo,
Which operating system were you using? I had heard that Microsoft had updated Win7 & Win 10 against the current ransomeware, but hadn't updated XP until after the virus went out.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
momto4girls

I've got ransomware, too.

Also an older laptop. I lost lots of pics, my kids' report cards (we homeschool), every file... Fortuanately, most of our family photos are on another computer. My husband has done a little research and apparently there is a fix... idk.

I won't be buying myself a new laptop any time soon 'cause one of my kids has to have a 15 inch Macbook Pro for graphic design in college. :/ So I have to find a fix.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I won't be buying myself a new laptop any time soon 'cause one of my kids has to have a 15 inch Macbook Pro for graphic design in college. :/ So I have to find a fix.
Off topic to the ransomware, but does it HAVE to be a Macbook? As in, is that the requirement? I only ask because I got my daughter an Alienware as her high school grad gift, because she was majoring in theatre, specifically set design. The Alienware has amazing graphics capabilities, because it is designed for hardcore gamers. She graduated this past spring, and the Alienware served her very well. Not only is it built like a tank (she's dropped it down entire flights of stairs, while open, and running, with nary a hiccup), but I can't count the number of times she was the ONLY one in some of her classes that could even do the work while in class. Her Alienware would chew right through the graphics programs and spit out her design, while everyone else's computers would be slogging through the work at a snail's pace. There were even times when the school's desktop computers couldn't handle the 3D graphics design work, and students would spend hours just sitting, waiting..... If you can swing an Alienware, there isn't anything that can come close to how well it handles graphics.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ransomware sufferers -

Were your infected computers running Windows XP? I have two rather nice desktops, both running XP, set aside because I don 't dare use them. Neither can be upgraded to Win 7, so they are now boatanchors. I just don't have much faith that Microsoft's one-time emergency update to Win XP will be a long-term solution.

I've replaced them with a couple smaller Win 7 desktops, plus a laptop running Win 10. I don't like Win 7, though I am gradually getting used to it. I really dislike Win 10, but maybe I will get used to it as well. Would love to find some way to insulate XP from these problems.

Mark, I don't think your ransomware infection came from this site. We've not had enough reports to make it likely, and we clean out any spam very quickly.

By the way, it seems to be common knowledge among those who are computer professionals (not me, in other words) that it is a bad idea to run multiple anti-virus programs at the same time. Apparently they can interfere with each other, obscuring things that should be simple, and failing to protect against some malware.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Can often find a legitimate copy of a later Windows "system builder" (new PC) installation for a good price but have to be careful of scams.

As to Alienware (or gaming computers in general), they can be very good graphics systems for a good price but if peer pressure is forcing an Apple (a Macbook Pro is $2k+ and they want full retail for a '15 model), I'd take a look at the refurbished store.

Personally I do not care for them (a $2k notebook without a touch screen ?) and Apple is famous for stopping upgrades after 8 or so years even if capable but have friends who will have nothing else.

Bottom line: Moore's Law hit a periodic plateau about 2014 and the only real improvement since than has been inexpensive SSDs (I have a hot-rodded 11" 2in1 with four-core Atom processor, a 500GB SSD, and 8GB of RAM that can outrun an i7 with a rotating drive. And has a touch screen).
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Personally I do not care for them (a $2k notebook without a touch screen ?) and Apple is famous for stopping upgrades after 8 or so years even if capable but have friends who will have nothing else.
I, personally, am very anti-Apple, anti-Mircosoft anything. I tend to go for open source - Android, Open Office, etc. IMHO, companies who lock down everything, and make it as proprietary as Apple & Microsoft, really don't give two shakes about anything, except making lots and lots of money. And quite frankly, I don't think their products are worth what they charge. In the fast pace world of technology, why spend $2K for a laptop (unless high-end specific for a task, such as Alienware/graphics), that is only going to be obsolete and outdated in 6 months or less.