TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Trailmanor factory production

Because I was looking at purchasing a Lance TT last Spring, I belong to the Lance forum, similar to this. One of the members there posted yesterday that he was at the Lance factory that morning, and it was mentioned that their current production is 14 units per day - 9 TT and 5 TC. They are builiding a new factory, and once that is online, they expect production to be 20 units per day, but he didn't know what the ratio was going to be between TT & TC.

I know that Lance TCs are very well made, and have heard that the TTs are as well. So I'm sure that helps in their sales. But I have to wonder - Lance is just one company, yet can manage to move 14 units per day - I mean, if they are making 14 a day, they must be selling close to that, right?

When Trailmanor was at it's highest production, does anyone know how many they rolled out each day? Have they rolled out any lately? I just can't fathom why they aren't manging to be not only solvent, but booming! They offer a product that nothing else comes close to in comparison. Light weight? Trailmanor, or you can be crammed into some tiny teardrop TT. Sleep six? Trailmanor, or you can buy a honking huge TT or 5th wheel, and will need a massive TV to boot. I can go on and on with the comparisons.... And if Trailmanor can't manage production, why hasn't some other company come up with a comprabale product? Just some random thoughts....
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

In my opinion, the retail price point of the TM units is cost prohibitve for the buyers they are marketing to.

We are talking about, at times, in excess of $30,000. For a pop up? Not in my budget. Or I can locate a gently used 5 year old model for maybe, 1/2 that....

And no dealer support. With dealers choosing to market lots of other choices for pop ups to the casual camper with a light weight SUV. Most buyers start with a unit they can camp close to home with, can accommodate their small family and tow with the existing family vehicle. Then move up in class, then again, and so on. Don't stay around long enough with the starter model to warrant new.

I think at peak, the TM factory was pushing out a few hundred a year. I would bet they pushed 1-2 per day for 300 days. Remember, it was a small family run business. Niche market, not for everyone. Too expensive to survive.

The lapse of production, sales, and marketing during transition to the Nebraska family has injured the future. I'd hate to see it die off. I've owned 2 of them over the past 15 years.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
And if Trailmanor can't manage production, why hasn't some other company come up with a comprabale product? Just some random thoughts....
Hi-Lo trailers were/are a similar concept, although much heavier than Trailmanors. That company also went through a cycle of being out of business. I think it is back now in some form. Eerily similar to the TM saga.

A-liners and some other brands have tried to put out hard sided pop ups.

I agree with rvcycleguy. When you can get a much larger box trailer for the price of a TM, the average bloke will go that route. We all know the advantages of the TM but they may not be obvious to first time buyers.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Yes, I agree with recycleguy too - they are on the expensive side, comparatively speaking. I remember how shocked I was at the price when I traded in the Coleman popup for my TM late summer 2004...

I hope they pull through, because I think it's a great concept, and a great product.

I quite like the Safari Alto line as well, more than the A-liners. Probably because despite being small, they are usable without having to open them up.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
bitrootvz

Default alto

we met the couple that has the youtube video of the safari alto this spring and they opened up the trailer to show us. It is really cool but not as functional as or TM and it takes a bit of time for the electric motor to raise the top. I can almost set up our 3023 as fast as they take to raise their alto. The Alto is quite pricey as well.
bitrootvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Doesn't appear to fit in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitrootvz View Post
we met the couple that has the youtube video of the safari alto this spring and they opened up the trailer to show us. It is really cool but not as functional as or TM and it takes a bit of time for the electric motor to raise the top. I can almost set up our 3023 as fast as they take to raise their alto. The Alto is quite pricey as well.
I find them interesting also. Best feature is the amount of light. But if it can't store in my garage then that is a deal breaker. Also not enough storage for me, and I want a permanent queen or king bed.

Always interesting to see what else is out there.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well the VIN is a pretty good indicator of production. If the third digit is a 9, the expected year's production is less than 1,000 units. 2006 was the first year I saw over 1,000 units and 2010 was the last.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #8
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitrootvz View Post
it takes a bit of time for the electric motor to raise the top. I can almost set up our 3023 as fast as they take to raise their alto. The Alto is quite pricey as well.
Yes, but you can sit and have your first drink of choice while the electric motor does the work. Definitely pricey though....
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
Also not enough storage for me, and I want a permanent queen or king bed.
You can leave the large dinette as a permanent bed - which it what I would do, since I feel a dinette is just a waste of space anyway - I'd rather eat outside.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
You can leave the large dinette as a permanent bed - which it what I would do, since I feel a dinette is just a waste of space anyway - I'd rather eat outside.
When you have a family deathly scared of wasps, you want a dinette!

(Also, we plan to do a couple of short trips in September/October to nearby campsites... in Vancouver..... rain!)

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote