TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #31
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
In theory, the load distribution technique at work in a WDH could ultimately remove all load from the hitch. If you had enough leverage and kinematics didn't preclude the amount of movement needed, you could in theory lift the rear wheels of the TV off of the ground.
This was actually done in 1966 when the front wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado was first advertised. The TV spot had a Toronado towing an Airstream with the rear tires removed from the car. Just what kind of hitch or other mechanical contraption was used was not clear. (Today's Trivia)
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #32
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
In theory, the load distribution technique at work in a WDH could ultimately remove all load from the hitch. If you had enough leverage and kinematics didn't preclude the amount of movement needed, you could in theory lift the rear wheels of the TV off of the ground.

The weight isn't disappearing it is just moving to the outer axles. How much redistribution you do is up to you. This is why I am going to do an axle-by-axle comparison at with a few different settings of the WDH. The result will allow me to choose the number of loose links according to how much weight I might wish to redistribute. (If I decide to keep the WDH at all that is. Removing the WDH altogether will probably eliminate 50 pounds)
I am really excited that you are doing this. In fact I (for one) would be very happy to chip in some $ to help defray your cost.

I am assuming that they will charge you $9 for each extra weighing. That could get pricey but the info gained would be invaluable to most here.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I am really excited that you are doing this. In fact I (for one) would be very happy to chip in some $ to help defray your cost.

I am assuming that they will charge you $9 for each extra weighing. That could get pricey but the info gained would be invaluable to most here.
The scale does not cost me anything but thanks for offering. It is an unattended self-serve truck scale. My only expense is the time involved since it is about a 40-mile round trip to use it. If the round trip with the TM wasn't such a pain I would probably have done it already.

The scale is easy and quick to use. Just last week I happened to be driving by it in my new Tundra and decided to do a quick weighing. It added less than one minute to my commute home from work to find out that my Tundra's front axle weighs 3400 lbs and rear axle weighs 2300 lbs with 1/3 tank of gas, me, and no payload. This tells me that I have another 1400 lbs below the GVWR (7100 lbs) to accommodate the tongue weight, additional passengers, fuel, and payload (and ultimately the tonneau cover I plan to get sometime this summer).

Our payload is going to be a genny (sometimes), an ice chest, and bicycles and perhaps whatever chairs and pop-ups I no longer will carry inside the TM. I would think 300-400 lbs of supplies depending on whether the genny comes. There would be 250-300 for the additional passengers and 100 pounds more for a full tank of gas. That leaves 600-750 for the tongue weight and tonneau cover.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #34
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
The scale does not cost me anything but thanks for offering. It is an unattended self-serve truck scale. My only expense is the time involved since it is about a 40-mile round trip to use it. If the round trip with the TM wasn't such a pain I would probably have done it already.

The scale is easy and quick to use. Just last week I happened to be driving by it in my new Tundra and decided to do a quick weighing. It added less than one minute to my commute home from work to find out that my Tundra's front axle weighs 3400 lbs and rear axle weighs 2300 lbs with 1/3 tank of gas, me, and no payload. This tells me that I have another 1400 lbs below the GVWR (7100 lbs) to accommodate the tongue weight, additional passengers, fuel, and payload (and ultimately the tonneau cover I plan to get sometime this summer).

Our payload is going to be a genny (sometimes), an ice chest, and bicycles and perhaps whatever chairs and pop-ups I no longer will carry inside the TM. I would think 300-400 lbs of supplies depending on whether the genny comes. There would be 250-300 for the additional passengers and 100 pounds more for a full tank of gas. That leaves 600-750 for the tongue weight and tonneau cover.
Ya, we are cutting it about as close as you are. At least you have the 15" wheels on your trailer. That gives you a lot more breathing room for a WDH. It just isn't an option for us.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #35
Tom-417

I have not tried using a bathroom scale as in the example below, but the math is right. If you are worried that 3 foot of board is too much for your scale, go to 4 foot and multiply by 4 instead of 3.

http://www.rverscorner.com/tongueweight.html
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #36
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-417 View Post
I have not tried using a bathroom scale as in the example below, but the math is right. If you are worried that 3 foot of board is too much for your scale, go to 4 foot and multiply by 4 instead of 3.

http://www.rverscorner.com/tongueweight.html
I turned an 8' long 2x12 on it's side. It worked great. The longer the board, the more accurate the measurement. It's not easy to get everything exactly centered.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #37
Redhawk

Does it have to be centered? You multiply by 8 with your method, correct Wayne? The example 2 posts above didn't have it centered is why I ask. Thanks....
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
brulaz

I think it works like this, although it's been a long time since HS physics.

Put one end of the board on your scale, the other end pivots.
Measure the length from the pivot end of the board to the scale.
Place the tongue somewhere in between the pivot end and the scale.
Measure the length from the pivot end to the tongue.
Weight the tongue.

Actual_Tongue_Weight = Measured_Tongue_Weight * Length_of_Board / Distance_from Pivot_to_Tongue

Somebody should double check this ...
Old 06-19-2010, 03:16 AM   #39
larsdennert

8' / 4' = 2, Double the scale reading if you put the trailer in the middle.

Batteries can weigh upwards of 60lb each. I'm giving my trailer a tongue diet. One propane bottle (-40lb) Zero batteries on tongue (-130lb). That's 170lb off the tongue. I am putting a single 12V AGM behind the passenger wheel well or in the rear storage. In the rear storage it would actually subtract another 40lb or so from the tongue.

I towed a 2720SL with two 6V in the storage and it felt much better than the two 6V on the tongue of my 2720.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #40
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Does it have to be centered? You multiply by 8 with your method, correct Wayne? The example 2 posts above didn't have it centered is why I ask. Thanks....
No,It doesn't have to be centered. The equation above is accurate (if the measurements are perfect). However, whatever distance that you put the tongue from the fulcrum point and the scale must be very accurate to achieve accurate results because any error will be multiplied by the distance. The longer the beam, the less impact of an error. No measurement is perfect. You will find that these measurements will be far from perfect.

It's not a huge deal but in my mind, there's no point in weighing if you don't try to get this most accurate weight possible. I even checked and adjusted the accuracy of the scale with 250# of weights from our gym. Every pound that the scale is off equates to 2# difference in tongue weight.............. 1/2" error in measurement here, another 1/2" there, footprint on scale........There are so many variables in this type of weighing that it would be easy to be off by 50#, if they aren't all as accurate as possible.

When I weigh mine again, I will build a pyramid with different size blocks of wood on the scale to increase the distribution of the footprint on the scale. I think that my weight was pretty accurate but that 2" footprint on the scale bugs me every time that I look at that picture.....

I'm thinking that I have put nearly 70# on my tongue since that picture was taken. (Solar panels in fwd bunk 40# + larger batteries 30#). That stuff really adds up. I have shifted the way that I store things inside the trailer to the back.