TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Camper One

Default Picture of what is behind the refrigerator

Thanks again for the advice on accessing the stereo from the back of the refrigerator. The plastic vent just popped off with a ¼ turn of the plastic square thingy’s.

If someone is interested in what it looks like back there here are some pictures for your pleasure.

After the top plastic vent is removed you can look in and see an aluminum sheet metal panel that is installed near the top of the vent square hole. This aluminum sheet metal is bent outward at the top. It is held on with only one screw and this same screw is also used to hold on a clothes dryer type vent. This vent is used to draw air from the top of the fridge cabinet and out of the vent at the bottom on the trailer when the refrigerator electric fan is turned on.

After this screw is removed then you can reach in and pull out the aluminum sheet metal and then laying on top of the fridge is a piece of house type insulation (paper and fiberglass bat insulation). The stereo is easily reached from behind the fridge. It looks like TM spent a great deal of effort in sealing the heat and carbon monoxide from the propane heater from entering the trailer through the counter top (glued on with silicon sealer) and they also used a piece of plastic sheet to seal the inside of the fridge cabinet to the front wall of the cabinet however you can see in the pictures that there is nothing installed to seal out any of the heat/ carbon monoxide from entering the trailer from the stereo fascia panel.

I looked around the stereo fascia panel and did not see any carbon monoxide leaking out… I then also sniffed all around the trailer and I could not smell any carbon monoxide either…just to be sure I also licked all around the trailer to see if I could taste any carbon monoxide and I could not so I think I am good.

Here are two pictures…one is looking into the back of the fridge cabinet with the aluminum heat shield installed and the other a picture with the aluminum panel and fiberglass insulation removed so you can look deep into the fridge cabinet. If you see any carbon monoxide in there please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail Manor Fridge Back with heat shield.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	8014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trail Manor Fridge Back.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	8015  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper One View Post
I looked around the stereo fascia panel and did not see any carbon monoxide leaking out… I then also sniffed all around the trailer and I could not smell any carbon monoxide either…just to be sure I also licked all around the trailer to see if I could taste any carbon monoxide and I could not so I think I am good.
VERY IMPORTANT!! -- Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. If you end up detecting it without any tools (symptoms include headache, nausea, fatigue, among others), you are on your way to death, so it's imperative to get into fresh air pronto.

That's why it's imperative that your CO detector is good working order, since that's the only thing that's going to prevent you from taking the big nap. They also need to be swapped out either every 5 or every 10 years (my detector had an expiration date marked on the back). Frankly, I think it's even more important than an LP detector.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
rumbleweed

This applies to both the TM and home. If buying a new CO detector, look for one that automatically sounds a notification warning when the 5 yr sensor life is up. Especially at home, many people install and forget them. This is a nice feature and has only recently been added to the circuitry. CO detectors are very inexpensive life insurance.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Camper One

My detector is a Safe T Alert and it is a LP and CO detector. I notice that if I sprayn alcohol based cleaner that it gets set off. Someone on this forum mentioned that if you use an aerosol can the gas will destroy the sensor inside the unit.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I had a good chuckle at your post, Camper One.

Thanks for the pix. I have so heavily modified the back part of the fridge that there is no utility for others to have my pix.

The insulation on the top of the fridge (as well as the metal deflector, etc.) is actually for hot air, not CO. Nothing back there has much to do with CO, because it is presumed that any erroneously produced gas would escape out the back/floor vent long before it got into the cabin.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote