TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
murphyb74

Default Salvage value

We had a great trip out west this summer. MD to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and then home. Before we got to Mount Rushmore, we ran into a big hail storm outside the Badlands. Our TrailManor came out structurally sound, but the top and front looking like a golf ball - all dimples! We reported it to our insurance and after getting back home, looked into repairs. After some research (including searching threads on this forum), I figured it would be very expensive to fix. I contacted Ed at Trailmanor (Ed is great!) and he worked up an estimate. As we had expected, it was very close to the value of our unit and the insurance company agreed - handling it as a total loss.

This brings the story to the thread title. The insurance company sent me email offering a reasonable value for the trailer - and I can keep the trailer if I buy it back for salvage value. The salvage value comes to 25% of the trailer value - does this sound right? It was explained to me that salvage value is what the insurance company could get for our trailer if they towed it away. Is this value negotiable? Has anyone here gone through this?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
lnussbau

Not with a trailer. But we had a 1994 Crown Vic that was totaled in 2002, just the two left doors pushed in (and whatever underneath damage that went with it. We discovered that vehicles are typically totaled at about 70% of market value. So 25% salvage value sounds in the right ballpark.